V11 - known issues and their status

Zopper

33 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Valve caps are now shipped as normal valves caps (small black plastic caps). This happened on my V11 from 2nd half of 1st batch (first 100 units).

Thanks, updated.

Now Liam from Inmotion is working on an official update chart that he is posting once ready here on the forum. 

I know, but it's not there yet and not all of those things may get on it.

Note: there is a huge difference between a quality issue and 1 unit report incident. Most of the above are 1 unit incidents.yet Inmotion have addressed these shiftly as the occurred. 

I really think this needs to be kept in mind.

I agree 100% and I'm still eagerly awaiting my wheel. But I felt a place with all those issues and their current status is missing. It seems to me that there tend to appear some rumours from people who don't watch the main thread and Telegram channel daily, who heard something, but didn't get the whole picture or didn't notice that it is already resolved. All in all, this still looks like a pretty nice release of a new wheel. Especially considering all the new stuff Inmotion did. The worst issue so far are the bearings and this was resolved almost immediately.

7 hours ago, Zopper said:

Charging issues [unknown]
Reported by some. Inmotion confirmed low quality of chargers and a manufacturer switch. I'm not sure if 1B batch is already fixed or it still have the original charger.

Does anyone have a picture of the current bad charger and/or the one they switched it too? My V11 is from batch 1B. I did noticed that the charger gets EXTREMELY HOT. 

Can we add the issue to the first post, just to show we are, aware of them and Inmotion said they are "resolved"? 

1. Pre-production firmware soft "bricking" (resolved?) 

You can brick the pre-production V11 if you do not lay the V11 on its side before firmware updating. 

You will have to disconnected the power from the control board to reset it. 

2. Pre-production brickingI n hot weather (resolved?) 

When rode in hot weather, laying down the v11 on it side will brick it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onizukagto said:

Can we add the issue to the first post, just to show we are, aware of them and Inmotion said they are "resolved"? 

1. Pre-production firmware soft "bricking" (resolved?) 

You can brick the pre-production V11 if you do not lay the V11 on its side before firmware updating. 

You will have to disconnected the power from the control board to reset it. 

2. Pre-production brickingI n hot weather (resolved?) 

When rode in hot weather, laying down the v11 on it side will brick it. 

Thanks. I added the first. The second is already there (Marty's hill)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, prasket said:

Anyone know if they plan on doing anything about v1 bearings? I live in Seattle and ride in the rain 70% of the year. :| 

It's fixed. They will ship out free replacement bearings to 1st batch owners and all 2nd batch will have new bearing 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2020 at 12:55 AM, Unventor said:

Valve caps are now shipped as normal valves caps (small black plastic caps). This happened on my V11 from 2nd half of 1st batch (first 100 units).

Now Liam from Inmotion is working on an official update chart that he is posting once ready here on the forum. 

Note: there is a huge difference between a quality issue and 1 unit report incident. Most of the above are 1 unit incidents.yet Inmotion have addressed these shiftly as the occurred. 

I really think this needs to be kept in mind.

If the normal valve caps (small black plastic caps) extend below the shock housing (like they do on the pre-production units) that's going to be a big problem. Hopefully the production wheels have the valves recessed further up in the shock assembly.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Regarding Hsiang’s accident, Duf mentioned in his recent video that in a conversation Hsiang has tools of riding with pressures 150/50 psi at the time of the incident. I weigh much more than Hsiang, and 150 psi is the absolute highest I can go to have a reasonable sag. I actually run the whole if yesterday with 130 psi.

Being launched off at a bump at a decent speed may not be all that surprising with those pressures.

I agree. I think he was running it at a crazy high pressure. The 230+ pounds guys testing my V11 said ~120psi was about perfect.

• Like 2

Nice list of issues.

Personally, if I decide to get a V11 I'm going to wait 4+ months to see if they are reliable. My failure for unknown reasons is concerning to me and when Inmotion says it's fixed because a different control board is used, that is meaningless to me.

Unless they know exactly why my board failed they can't say the issue is fixed with the production boards.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, Vagrant Sneaker said:

Does anyone have a picture of the current bad charger and/or the one they switched it too? My V11 is from batch 1B. I did noticed that the charger gets EXTREMELY HOT. 

I removed the charging issue section, it was probably just my bad memory when compiling the list. It seems that there is nothing particularly wrong with it and I can't find any sources for that. Mea culpa.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My failure for unknown reasons is concerning to me and when Inmotion says it's fixed because a different control board is used, that is meaningless to me.

Unless they know exactly why my board failed they can't say the issue is fixed with the production boards.

I agree.

Until I see someone reproduce your actions and tackle a steep slope/hill successfully and/or Inmotion posts some evidence to backup the claim, I would list this issue as unresolved. 

• Like 1

Personally, if I decide to get a V11 I'm going to wait 4+ months to see if they are reliable. My failure for unknown reasons is concerning to me and when Inmotion says it's fixed because a different control board is used, that is meaningless to me.

Based upon the symptoms in your excellent video I would say that the BLDC drive MOSFETs have shorted.  This is a common failure mode for MOSFETs that suffer too much current and/or overheat.  The resulting short circuit is then likely to have damaged other components on the control board and/or blown fuses (not all of which are field-replaceable).

Noting that the rest of this post is speculative:

BLDC drive circuits usually have each coil driven by an H-bridge so that the coil can be driven in either polarity.  Each half of the H-bridge comprises a pair of MOSFETs, one connected to one side of the coil and the positive supply and one connected to the same side of the coil and the negative supply.

The drive logic should NEVER turn both MOSFETs on at the same time.  Doing so causes the main power supply to be shorted across both MOSFETs and would cause instantaneous failure of at least one of them, causing it to permanently short-circuit.

Then, with shorted MOSFETs, the back EMF of turning the wheel through short-circuit gives you high resistance, essentially electronic braking.  Disconnecting the wheel from the board disconnects the shorted MOSFETs and the wheel turns freely.

My guess is that there was a hardware or software fault that Inmotion have discovered in the pre-production control boards that can momentarily turn on both of these MOSFETs at the same time.  Based upon your video I think it occurred during your power-on where you saw a brief flicker of lights before it died.

Edited by StuartL
  • Like 2

Nice list of issues.

Liam did explain it a bit more today. Pretty much what I expected. Whether it really helped is to be seen yet.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 12.08.22.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

I agree.

Until I see someone reproduce your actions and tackle a steep slope/hill successfully and/or Inmotion posts some evidence to backup the claim, I would list this issue as unresolved. 

Liam wrote this on telegram today when discussing Marty's incident. 

Quote:

Compared with the prototype, We have greatly improved the PCB design and the cooling system on the production unit. The maximum temperature for the control board is 150°C, for mosfet is 90°C, which has been tested for many times. As for Marty's prototype, it has been used by group of Youtubers. It will be hard to tell the real reason that burnt the wheel. And we can't ship it back any EUC to our office due to the airline restriction.

We also have this from Liam regarding the saddle screws:

We will bring in new solution to fix the issue. It will be a switch from plastic holes to metal holes.

So this seems like a next batch (3rd?) fix, as the 2nd one is reported that have started shipping.

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

The maximum temperature for the control board is 150°C, for mosfet is 90°C, which has been tested for many times

Seems to be a typo? I'd assume 150°C for mosfet and 90°C for control board? As most used capacitors on the board are just rated for 105°C. The plasitc parts could slowly get soft at such temperatures, too?

150°C for the mosfets seem a bit high? There is not too much margin until the 175° maximum junction temperature...

Good TO-220 cases have some max thermal resistance of 0.5 °K/W from junction to case. At least as much again for the thermal resistance over the insulation pad to the heatsink and the same again to the temperature sensor... Leaving not really much power dissipation as safety margin with this 25°C ...

Somehow i'm used to design guidelines for semiconductors like these mosfets with a maximum junction temperature of 125°C. But could easily be that with the space restricitions in EUCs this is just not possible to reach. :(

Same for the measured control board maximum temperature of 90°C - the capacitors on the PCB are "only" rated for 105°C (normally). Giving just a margin of 15°C - imho nothing, especially regarding the delayed and inhomogeneous temperature distribution...

37 minutes ago, Bill Kolk said:

So this seems like a next batch (3rd?) fix, as the 2nd one is reported that have started shipping.

Can be both, their expressions are sometimes difficult to parse. I asked for clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Kolk said:

Metal holes? I'm gonna guess its metal inserts at the screw fixtures to reinforce the polymer. Don't have to make an entirely new mold for it 

3 minutes ago, Vagrant Sneaker said:

I hope they intend to ship these to the first adopters that have them broken. 

I guess that this might need to go via regular warranty process. It breaks, you tell it to your dealer, and they send you a replacement. 

• Like 1