My V11. Next level and my new main wheel.

Unventor

So after reflecting on my ride today, it is time to update about my 2nd test ride. 

Let's start with a spoiler alert. 

As you can see I am starting to pick g up more speed. 

But it takes someone silly, stubborn or having big balls to go fast on a patchy icy covered road with a wheel you are adapting to a new ride sensation and behaviour. 

I am mainly stubborn and sometimes I don't realise the danger I am pushing myself into. But I still respect speed but even more the forces that increas with higher speed. 

It was fairly cold between - 5 to 0 C. A little wind so it feels very cold at 35kmh. 

I still find it hard to turn especially at low speeds. Main reason is I have a hard time to use testing shoulder to turn the wheel. 

But on the good side it is very very stable in a straight line. So I found I need to use the U shape to turn the tire by leaving it to the side. But to avoid to just lean with a risk the wheel sliding out sideways under me I found I can counter somewhat with my hip and use twisted shoulder at the same time. But I can't do micro turns or micro carving in a simple way. It is possible to carve but only by leaning the wheel. In general I don't carve much so it doesn't concern me. 

To give you an idea of the weather here are a few pictures from the ride.

2nd test ride with winter tire on V112nd test ride with winter tire on V112nd test ride with winter tire on V11

I have now ridden my V11 about 1115km. The new tire is a new challenge to learn. 

But I find this enjoyable. Some might want to complain about the tire. But there many aspects of it I really like. It feels very smooth and the noi e or singing as I ride faster. 

In the end of the day it is all about being able to continue to ride despite it is winter. 

As a side note. Like any other EUC it is easy to see the battery dislike the cold. Another thing to consider is filling suspension air chambers at 23C (room temperature) do not perform the same at - 5C to 0C. It still works but it felp as there are less air in suspension chambers. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Unventor said:

As a side note. Like any other EUC it is easy to see the battery dislike the cold. Another thing to consider is filling suspension air chambers at 23C (room temperature) do not perform the same at - 5C to 0C. It still works but it felp as there are less air in suspension chambers.

I was a bit hesitant to ride the V11 in very low temperature because I was wondering how well the suspension would hold up to the cold, with my main concern being the seals getting to stiff and failing to hold pressure. But it seems your seals are doing fine.

I just bounced on the V11 suspension in the garage where it is about 7C and it felt good with normal sag. It has been about 3 weeks since it arrived and I put 150 in the lowers and 70 in the uppers for my 113 kilogram riding weight, with the tire set to 35 psi. I have had about four nice rides on it and am happy with the settings, but in the future will no doubt want to experiment a little. 

Earlier this morning we were at -10C here, but we are heading up to almost 2C today when I plan to be out. I am thinking of taking the V11 out. I am enjoying that ride, but at the same time not wanting to get to attached to it. I want it to feel special every time I get on it and also do not want it to clown the other wheels ... if you get my meaning! :P :efef3d5527: :efee8319ab: I still enjoy each model for what it does and want to stay in that zone.

The V11 and Mten3 have worked together to improve my mounting and control since they are opposite ends of the spectrum regarding pedal height and body shape. Mounting the average pedal height wheels is much easier and smoother now.

When the V11 arrived, I looked at the height of the pedals and wondered if I was going to kill myself trying to get up there and stay up there! :confused1: But it was not so bad on the 1st try, quite different, but not bad. And I like different. The pedal height makes it a bit unsteady compared to more average heights, but as with any wheel, the body adapts and makes it work until it feels natural. Soon your new tire will feel natural.  

• Like 1

@Scottie I don't thi k o e wheel will make all other obsolete. But my V11 is such a good all round wheel that it is hard to go back to my other wheels.

But once we get a lot of ice I might have to rethink riding my V11 for a while. The high pedals makes a sideways slide out a higher risk. There were ice about on my 2nd test run but only in few places. Now we are expecting high winds and loads of rain the next week. 

It is always fun to read how others use their wheels especially when they see each wheel have some uniqueness to them. 

As for my V11 I bought that to ride it. I am careful about my baby. But if is still a utility transport for me. Especially since my car hit sold. I did buy/order a little car but it is delayed delivery until 1st maybe 2nd week of February. 

But since I work from home I can wait out some days with bad weather. But the urge to ride EUC takes over after a few days of waiting. 

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

But the urge to ride EUC takes over after a few days of waiting.

I am sure you have lots of company here!

9 minutes ago, Unventor said:

The high pedals makes a sideways slide out a higher risk. There were ice about on my 2nd test run but only in few places.

I just got back from the V11 ride and managed to dodge some unexpected ice also. I was thinking that exact same thing about the high pedals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scottie said:

jI ust got back from the V11 ride and managed to dodge some unexpected ice also. I was thinking that exact same thing about the high pedals.

The good thing with my new winter tire is it is very direction stable so rolling in a straight line over ice as much a problem. You just don't change direction or speed on ice. But that itself means less option to deal with something unexpected. So it all comes down to being very alert 😬and focused🤫 and not going too fast. 🤕

But today we have heavy rainfall with winds at 13m/s gusting at 22m/s. It sounds as the roof can take off any time. So not ideal to go out riding. Weather hear doesn't look to improve until next Sunday. 😔

• Like 2

Today we had an unexpected break in the rain this morning in my area. So I took the opportunity to take V11wt (winter tire) for a 3rd quick spin. To return some tools I didn't need when changing the tire.

And I spend the money on a set of outdoor workers winter gloves at our DIY store. They might not be riders gloves but these are a nice fit anf have sleeves that overlap my mc jacket easy without it being too much. They were like 32€ so not too bad. 

In "daylight" they look like this:

Got new winter gloves for riding with winter tire.

With a camera flash you start to see their color and reflective markings (not much so I might have to wear extra reflective bands):

Got new winter gloves for riding with winter tire.Got new winter gloves for riding with winter tire.

Ohh and on a footnote. Last night @Seba released his work in progress so we can iron our bugs with the massive overhaul and new features he made. Let's just say there are a "few" new things and many many small changes. So I don't yet have a clear overview of it all.

As for my V11wt I am slowly starting to get better control of turning. But I don't feel 100% confident to do tight turns yet. On the V11 I could do sharp S avoiding turns. On the V11wt I just can't, not yet anyway. And since I am so used to how easy I can control the V11, I still have some way to go with the V11wt. But it isn't all bad like I said before. I like the way it feels (beside my micro turning is lost). And I really like the singing sound of the tire/Road traction. It tells me that I might need to slow down and pedestrians hear me coming if they have not going into zombie headset mode. 

So I guess it is time for another 3 or 4 days of heavy rain (for our area at this time of the year). 

• Like 2

So yet another thing to add to my V11wt (winter tire edition). Today I got my Black Crow stands Scandinavian style 😉

By Scandinavian style it is a slight mod to the charger holders so they are not resting on ground level but about 3cm above ground level. This allow my wheel to dry up without risk of water making a pool that can reach the chargers. 

So now my V11 is resting a but safer if my cat decides to play where I have the wheel resting. Thanks to @RockyTop for making this possible.

Now there are some nice details in his designs.  Like the holes in the buttom for mounting it with screws to a foundation. Making even more safe from being kicked over. 

Here are a few pictures of it in action. 

Got my new Black Crow stand (actually got 2). This one with dual charger holder.Got my new Black Crow stand (actually got 2). This one with dual charger holder.Got my new Black Crow stand (actually got 2). This one with dual charger holder.

It is a bit hard to spot the stand as it blends into the V11 design nicely. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Unventor 

Note: If anyone wants the “Scandinavian” ( snow pan compatible version) message me in eBay before buying. I plan to switch all of the V11, and S18 along with several other stands that are tall enough over to the new higher charging holder position but I sill have back stock in the older configuration. 

As always changes can be made to the stand to improve or fit needs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I had to go out for lunch. Despite we had even more snowfall. 

This is how some of our road. Not all roads are cleared. 

It also showcase updates to EUC.WORLD currently in beta testing. The change to look for is the added model in overlay. 

• Like 3

Now some time back I got my Black Crow stands for my V11. And I have been riding in our winter weather here in Sweden with my V11. So far so good. 

I like to give credit to @RockyTop for his design and stand. It works really great. It might be in my head but it seems the tire dry up faster since I have been using the stand. But I can't explain this.

So despite riding in snow and very cold days (-7C) were they use sand/gravel and salt on roads to keep them as safe as possible it seems my V11 is holding up for now. I know some have problems with their V11 and I don't know for sure why. 

This is how I use my V11, I commute most if the time. And occasionally go for a joy ride. But I don't aim for trouble and I try to stay clear of sharp pot holes and water/mud puddles. As for snow I were riding cautious as there is always a risk of sliding. On ice I ride only if I have no other options. Now our snow melted due to rain then it froze over and not we have had lods of fine gravel and salt everywhere I ride. 

But still my 1st batch V11 with z bearing is doing fine. As for my winter tire it seems to work for me so far but we don't have extreme snow here like @mrelwoodhas in Finland so still pleased with the winter tire. But I still miss my micro steering capability of the stock tire. So I am looking forward to spring. 

• Like 3

Yep you are spot on @Zopper.

My Mazda CX-5 was 3 years old. But to keep warrenty I had to do service on it every year. And if you seel it it takes a huge hit if not serviced. Also since my new car warrenty was running out I had a much higher insurance price coming too. If you don't use the car much there is a risk of breaks and other mechanic part degrade. This has to do with summer/winter season here and that they use salt and sand and gravel on the roads. In the end of a day owning a car in EU is not as cheap as in the US. Also since I have not contacts or own skills to fix cars it just make this more expensive (one of the downside to moving to a different country, familie and friends can't help in same degree). 

Many things I can sold by public transport but my area is one of the dark spots, so I have to walk a bit. This would be okey if my knees were not damaged by my rheumatism. 

And now with weather shifting between over 0C and down to - 10C it makes riding EUC atm not ideal. 

So I am looking forward to getting a little car that can solve what EUCs don't do for me. 

Until now I have managed without a car but the next 2-3 months will be a challange. 

On the other hand I need to keep riding my V11 to nurse the bearing from locking up. 

• Like 1

So to explain my weather the past 4 days we had below - 5C to - 10C in my part of Sweden. Before that it had snowed and then rained so a lot of water that was still on the roads. 

Then we had new show on top on the ice and it looks like this now. 

2021-01-18_12-19-50

It is just starting to melt again but in 2 days we are back at - 10C according to forecast. 

The problem right now is you don't know where you might have patches of ice below the snow. 

Now further up north they got 1m of snow in 24 hours and some area reached - 38.9C. Once it gets cold enough you get free of the icy patches more or less. But global warming makes weather change here in my area so we don't get that cold enough period anymore. Yet due to country/land vs sea we do get these very cold northern winds bring cold down from polar area and Seberia. 

@ShanesPlanet I do agree that you as a person do what works for you. I am sure in the US is different too from area to area. I my area I am just in the outskirts of 2nd largest city in Sweden. But that is a minor city compared to US standards.

The EUC in summer time is much nicer and often faster due to how city traffic is here. We have a water channel and a mountain range effectively cutting the city into 4 quadrants. The water area creates a huge bottle neck and since they are rebuilding for improving the connections it is one big digsite in city center and been like that for years. 

I do look forward to getting clear of snow and ice. But we do get snow as late as early May. Normally in mid April it starts to clear up. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Regardless, I can't help but think that having a resource that you MAY need, is much better than wishing you had it available. Wanna buy a car? we've got 3 of them and its time to upgrade to a 1993! Hope you can drive stick!

I have had a new toyota yaris hybrid on order since late October. It was build in France previous Saturday now it is in shipping. Expected to arrive to my reseller first days of February. And I will paid the 230k Sek or 27.400$ cash in hand without any big loans. Then my running cost would be lower than insurance was on my old car. 

toyota_yaris_hybrid_active_3_3671uuAQj-1068x801.thumb.jpg.066774a0076a34c7e431932f0157c5d7.jpg

toyota_yaris_hybrid_active_2_36716wqgb-1068x801.thumb.jpg.55be1220634735c07f52d59375547eb4.jpg

So now it is like any other preorders... The waiting game. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ever since the covid scare, hotels are less than welcoming here. Looks like youll have room to not even bother those pesky places.

My TL called me to a 1to1 at his hotel as he was between selling and buy new apartment. This picture was taken by him to show covid-19 safe transport. 

Little did I know he would use it at company Web kick off meeting for 500+ people. 

Covid-19 safe transport

This was back in early January. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

New cars are for rich people with money to burn, imho.

I glanced out my window and saw a flashy brand new Mercedes AMG parking up outside my house. The window then rolled down and a bunch of litter got thrown out. Because of the type of guy I am, I went out and tapped on the shaded windows of the car, I was quite surprised to see a young chap (24?) in the driving seat. He seemed a fairly nice lad but certainly didn't look like a investment banker, rock star or star footballer. He was just an ordinary lad in a $70,000 car. He did apologise and pick up the litter. Maybe it's a generational thing to not waste money on expensive things that haemorrhage money.

• Like 1

I am glad to see the V11 out in the cold. I was wondering how well the air suspension seals would hold up to cold temperature.

@mrelwood and @Unventor, have either of you had any issues with the suspension due to cold? I have had mine 2 months now and have had it out riding just above freezing (0C to 3C) a few times, and so far have not felt any loss of air since I initially pumped it when it arrived. I went 70 uppers and 150 lowers and have been happy with that.

6 hours ago, Scottie said:

I am glad to see the V11 out in the cold. I was wondering how well the air suspension seals would hold up to cold temperature.

@mrelwood and @Unventor, have either of you had any issues with the suspension due to cold? I have had mine 2 months now and have had it out riding just above freezing (0C to 3C) a few times, and so far have not felt any loss of air since I initially pumped it when it arrived. I went 70 uppers and 150 lowers and have been happy with that.

Unless my mind was playing tricks with me, the other shock did leak a bit of air from the positive to the negative side when I was riding at -11•C. If you’ve been riding in colder weather than a few degrees below zero, I would check the pressures before the next ride.

And make sure that you don’t use a lube for the sliders that goes stiff in the cold. By my testing a silicone lube does exactly that, while a PTFE one doesn’t. I think that a thin layer of wax should do ok in cold as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scottie said:

I am not sure it is leaking as such. Or let me put it this way. I have not adjusted air pressure but it feels more soft the colder it gets while I filled the suspension to my normal 120/60psi at 23C room temperature. 

So I think the pressure falls as the suspension parts gets cold. 

Todays I rode to our driver licence office ss I am swapping mu Danish license to a Swedish one. I can say this is by far the worst condition ever I have ridden. Some part have ice patched on road and bile lanes as the water cannot drain or run anywhere the got frozen and melted and frozen again. Now our weather changer to +1 or +2C so we get sleet coming down. This can hold a lot of water and can act as riding on soap. I have rarely been as wet as of today. 

Yet this is where a stellar goretex mc suit show it true worth. And the V11 came out on top too. It might only been 15km total but I have not been this wet and cold despite my clothing for a very long time. The sleet meant I had to ride with visor open to see infornt of me. My hand were so wet I could operate my phone as it could not register any navigation or finger print right. On the other hand I am very close to 1200km now on the V11. 1195ish. 

I also got saved by the V11 suspension today. I didn't see a deep put hole until I hit it as it was covered by sleet. Proberly about 2" unprepared at 25kmh could have ended bad, not this time. I am really happy about my V11. It just gets the job done. 

But once I get home I had to wipe down my wheel as it tends to have a pool of water on top at rear light module under the saddle support. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update. It is still shifting weather in my area. One day it is +8C the next few day is is below 0C and now we are getting - 10ish C. So I am happy to finally picking up my little new can tomorrow. That is always a extremely fun experience. People always look in amazement and with a smile once they realise they have been staring. 

So since I took my drivers licence in a different country I used the time without a car to swap this to a Swedish licence. And that almost went bad. Luckely I used EUC.WORLD linked to my V11 that day. As I forgot my phone on the counter. I managed to ride like 25m away from the post pickup store before I got a disconnect message. But I managed to turn around and find my phone before it was lost forever. 

Also this brings me back to the Black Crow stands I bought for my V11. I just got information today from Inmotion that it seems to help a lot not storing a wet wheel on its side. So parking on the Black Crow stands helps me to avoid this. So I need to find a way to do this when taking the wheel with me in the car. So I will need some sort of solution for this. The trunk of my car has a limited space. Only 280L. With V11 being too tall and too long to store upright in the car forward direction (taking up less space this way), I am likely to store it behind my front seat. But how to secure it I am not sure yet. Maybe using one of the Crow stand (as I bought 2). 

Anyway I am looking forward to getting a car again. It would work 98% of the time with EUC only. But sometimes a car is what I need. Since this is a cheap running cost for me, I had to accept the small trunk. 

But still 1225km all season/weather and my V11 have not given up on me. 

I do have a few spare parts I will have to get for when swapping back to the summer tire. I just hope I can get these in time. Spare parts is a pain when you don't have a local (national) reseller. Tons of import fees anf freight costs and often long delivery times. 

So I hope we get a local reseller soon. 

• Like 2

Put it behind the non-driver seat and secure it there with the seat - even if you have a passenger, I doubt they will complain about “too much space for their legs.” :D 

• Like 1