About Points of Contact with the EUC (Feet, Ankles, Calves)

WebDev

As a new rider, I'm learning that there are different ways to form a point of contact between yourself and the EUC.  At first, I was creating as much contact as possible, locking my calves to the V8F's side pads, and my entire foot against the lower side, thereby creating the strongest grip hold I could on the wheel.  This helped me to control the wheel much better when learning.

Now that I've improved a bit, I'm wondering what the "proper" contact points should be .  Does an experienced rider only make contact with the top part of the EUC when turning?  What about the feet?  Should your feet be as close to the EUC as possible?  Or maybe just the heel?  Or should the feet not be pressed against the EUC at all?

I feel like one contact point on each side is necessary at all times.  But maybe that's because I'm still new.  Would anyone with experience care to share their thoughts?

• Like 2

I cannot imagine riding without any side contact with the EUC at my skill level, but I will strive to eliminate that as I improve.  What was your main point of contact before you got enough skills to ride without any?

Also, what about off-road, bumpy surfaces?  I feel like locking the calves to the wheel is absolutely necessary in these situations.  Would you agree?  Or is it possible to make the balance corrections without contact?

Edited by WebDev
  • Like 2

I understand that there is no "proper" method per se.  I guess I'm just trying to find out what has worked best for everyone else.  What is most comfortable?  What causes the least fatigue?  Most importantly, what gives you the highest sense of control?

@mrelwood

I just learned about the foot positioning you mentioned.  You're absolutely right too. I've had my feet too far back ever since I started.  I was actually trying to control my speed by pressing down on the balls or heel of my feet instead of just shifting my body weight back and forth.  Doh!

I totally feel you on that last point.  As a new rider it's not very easy for me to reposition my feet as I'm moving, though I am getting better at that.  Getting the right foot position seems imperative to maintaining comfort and control.

Edited by WebDev
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WebDev said:

I cannot imagine riding without any side contact with the EUC at my skill level, but I will strive to eliminate that as I improve.  What was your main point of contact before you got enough skills to ride without any?

Honestly, I don't remember it's been so long since then. I wanna say I probably rode like the typical new rider, more narrowed stance, feet in 11's and in, but also my first wheels in the Ninebot One E+ and KS18A were wheels that tend to give you a semi-wider stance to begin with, due to the thick pads on the E+, and overall wider body (for that time) on the KS18A.

3 minutes ago, WebDev said:

Also, what about off-road, bumpy surfaces?  I feel like locking the calves to the wheel is absolutely necessary in these situations.  Would you agree?  Or is it possible to make the balance corrections without contact?

For one-off bumps, I brace for the bump with bent knees, weight emphasis on the balls of the feet, then take the bump so that I lift my heels and let the wheel jump the bump independently of me slightly jumping off the wheel itself. Then I reach one leg at a time, landing ball of feet by ball of feet (most bumps I don't separate that much from the wheel, but there are the bigger ones that I occasionally briefly do).

Really I would say play around. A common mistake I see guys make is not utilizing the balls of their feet enough, as that is the really basis of balance and agility in the human body to begin with, and guys who absolutely must do the same thing on both legs / both feet, which is actually a detriment IMHO.

What led me down to how I ride today is playing / messing around, and doing alternating one ball of foot, other foot more heel, then switch.

I do realize that gripping the wheel body with your feet, both or just one, provides a sense of security, but you should realize that, like manual unicycles, you don't really need to be touching the body at all, as it's about foot vs foot weight balance/difference.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WebDev said:

I was actually trying to control my speed through pressing down on the balls or heel of my feet instead of just shifting my body wait back and forth.  Doh!

Actually, this is exactly how I ride EUC, and IMHO it's better, as you don't end up doing these dangerous superman leans that can lead to faceplanting. But this is my opinion I guess.

4 minutes ago, WebDev said:

I totally feel you on that last point.  As a new rider it's not very easy for me to reposition my feet as I'm moving, though I am getting better at that.  Getting the right foot position seems imperative to maintaining comfort and control.

Being able to readjust your feet while riding is so so invaluable in my experience. 

And really it's not as hard as you think: you just lift one foot's heel while the other foot is on, pivoting that foot to the desired position, then drop that first foot heel, and do the same with the other. Still having that pressure from the ball of the heel lifted foot is what counters the normal other foot's weight, keeping you balanced on the wheel

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Actually, this is exactly how I ride EUC, and IMHO it's better, as you don't end up doing these dangerous superman leans that can lead to faceplanting. But this is my opinion I guess.

Oh, now that is quite interesting!  I can see now that there are very distinct styles between different riders.  Perhaps a balance between the two might be optimal for adequate safety and swift acceleration.  I guess it all comes down to what you're trying to accomplish and your own style.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Being able to readjust your feet while riding is so so invaluable in my experience. 

And really it's not as hard as you think: you just lift one foot's heel while the other foot is on, pivoting that foot to the desired position, then drop that first foot heel, and do the same with the other. Still having that pressure from the ball of the heel lifted foot is what counters the normal other foot's weight, keeping you balanced on the wheel

That makes sense.  Much better than lifting the foot completely off the pedal!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, houseofjob said:

There is no "proper" anything for EUC technique, only better or worse solutions in relation to each other.

18 hours ago, mrelwood said:

There isn’t a single “proper method” that everyone should aim for. Our physiques, sizes and wheel models vary enough to warrant a range of ideal techniques.

As a 7 month rider just now becoming very slightly experienced, I agree with both of these riders. I was right where you are now ... what feels like yesterday. In the beginning we are just trying to survive and learn at the same time. Like you, I gripped the wheel body with calves and had my feet tight up against the shell of the 16X, which seemed and felt right for that wheel. But as my feet learned what to do and the EUC muscles got in shape, there became less and less need for wheel hugging. Now I just briefly nudge the top of the wheel on one side or the other occasionally if I feel the need, usually coming out of an aggressive turn while goofing around.

18 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Squeezing or hugging the shell limits your movement, prevents tilt-turning altogether,

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I do realize that gripping the wheel body with your feet, both or just one, provides a sense of security, but you should realize that, like manual unicycles, you don't really need to be touching the body at all, as it's about foot vs foot weight balance/difference.

I guess I want to second third this. Tilt-turning is a must for good maneuverability on any wheel that I've ridden. As you gain experience, your feet may naturally start moving away from the shell over time which allows for better tilt-turning. 

Power pads are something else. I haven't tried them yet, but my imagination tells me that the experienced riders only grip or knee the pads in anticipation of using them to torque the wheel.

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 9:57 PM, houseofjob said:

There is no "proper" anything for EUC technique, only better or worse solutions in relation to each other.

The more I've progressed in my 5-going-on-6 years of EUC riding, I ended up contacting the wheel body almost never; I only unintentionally slightly brush the wheel body with my leg on turns. My feet never touch the wheel altogether. Really, the only time my leg purposely contacts the wheel body is the brief push off from my shin to free mount the wheel.

As a pretty new rider I’m curious about this. I’ve found that riding with a wide stance, not contacting the wheel much, does indeed seem much more comfortable and natural, problem is that I can get bad wobbles if I’m not at least slightly bracing the z10 with the right calf, much like what @Hsiang describes when he talks about his riding stance. 

So you’re able to brake hard and handle bumps with no wobbles while not contacting the wheel? Is there some secret to doing this successfully? Crouching down halfway on the wheel seems to be a particularly wobble inducing position. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, shellac said:

So you’re able to brake hard and handle bumps with no wobbles while not contacting the wheel? Is there some secret to doing this successfully? Crouching down halfway on the wheel seems to be a particularly wobble inducing position. 

If you get wobbles while crouching, you can easily try different techniques to kill the wobble without being in danger of losing control. So that's good! :lol:

Try this: While crouching, concentrate on your ankles and heels. Keep your ankles relaxed, and your heels flat down on the pedals. Keep your body up from your knees, thighs, and mid body muscles. If you succesfully relax your lower legs like that, the crouching wobbles won't start at all. The target is to make it automatic. Then you shouldn't have much problems exploring various foot positionings and techniques.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 9:50 PM, houseofjob said:

The only caveat to this is that only one foot needs to be wide at a time, since I am operating the wheel at an angle. So if the left foot is down on the left pedal, that pedal leaning down to the ground, left leg straight, then my other foot will naturally adopt a knee bend and weight will focus on the ball of the right foot to the point my right foot heel will lift up, all while my body is slightly over the right side of the wheel body midline.

So basically one leg is more straight and the other leg more bent at all times? Almost feels like one leg is doing more work at any time 

• Like 2

Im always trying to imagine @houseofjob's explanations, then go back to wanting that damn video! Lmao. I personally dont have as much experience as these other guys, but for me i do a mix of most things mentioned. Depending on the terrain i change my stance. At night on crazy ass roads where you cant see shit, im in a low stance, legs wide, not gripping the body. I have pads that keep my feet kinda locked in, so im cheating with that extra confidence, but the wheel takes impacts and its separate from my body. If i grip the wheel on bumpy terrain, it just travels right through my body and murders me. Im not about death right now. I like jumping and whatnot, so when i decide im gonna hop over some stuff or up a curb i quickly reposition my feet to facehugger position and then hop up, then do a little heel/toe movement to get my feet back out to their old positon. Whenever i jump i naturally tighten up, so i've put surfpad on my wheel to keep my feet from going in too closely so i dont lose balance. One of the main issues i had after a hop was that i'd be TOO close to the body and that would throw me and id have to step off as the wheel would dip hard left or right. So yeah, different stance for different things. I will say, i do stand a bit closer than i should when im nervous (crazy winds) or being lazy and standing up straight, and my feet start to die. So when i do widen my stance, my foot fatigue goes away rather quickly

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

So basically one leg is more straight and the other leg more bent at all times? Almost feels like one leg is doing more work at any time 

Yes, exactly!

It's:

1. One leg straight, heel / whole foot down as the leverage foot
  2. Other leg knee bent, heel up as the "accelerator foot"
  3. Wheel body at an angle, not erect / upright, to create leverage angles, "front accelerator pedal" is sticking up at a non-flat leverage angle.

It's actually less work, not more! You are just shifting your gravity weight under you between feet, taking advantage of the wheel + your fall ability / gravity left-right. The concept IMHO is no different from how runners (at least long distance(?)) do not run straight upright over their heels, they should have the balls of their feet slightly behind their center of gravity line so that the fully body line is slightly tilted at a diagonal with head forward, so you are taking advantage of the fall gravity propelling you forward while you push off at the balls of your feet. Also, like running or cycling, you are using one foot at a time in alternation, so equal work really, same for what I describe.

9 hours ago, WebDev said:

@houseofjob Thanks for all the details you've provided in this thread.  I've been practicing every day and my technique has evolved tremendously.  I can relate to everything you're saying now.  It feels so liberating to ride without contact points.  There's no uncomfortable pressure anywhere, I can feel much more relaxed, and the sensation I get now when riding is amazing.

Now that I'm free of needing to feel the wheel against me, I think it's allowed me to try different stances.  I noticed today that when I was just gliding along at top speed, I had one leg kind of locked straight pushing down on the ball of the foot, and the other leg kind of bent and relaxed more, just as you described, and it felt good.  This is opposed to always keeping my legs in sync with each other.  This has helped me to learn to carve a little bit too, by alternating which foot is erect and which is bent.

Nice!

You are way ahead of even the purported "experienced" of EUC riders I'd say then!

Kinda jelly, cuz when I started many moons ago, there was literally no material, even a proper "learn how to ride" video, I had to spend 4 years of trial & error to arrive where I'm at now. maybe that's subconsciously why I'm not in a hurry to roll out this technique video haha

Now, just play around with it; make the wheel bend to you, not the other way around!

9 hours ago, seage said:

Im always trying to imagine @houseofjob's explanations, then go back to wanting that damn video! Lmao. 

LOL you're not the only one that gets inside their heads too much!

I have others on me to make this thing, and all I can say is I will still try, but don't wanna make broken promises. I have like way too much to say about this topic, which leads to perfection paralysis for me, so at some point, I gotta say F it and just make an imperfect video I guess *smh.

9 hours ago, seage said:

I like jumping and whatnot, so when i decide im gonna hop over some stuff or up a curb i quickly reposition my feet to facehugger position and then hop up, then do a little heel/toe movement to get my feet back out to their old positon. Whenever i jump i naturally tighten up, so i've put surfpad on my wheel to keep my feet from going in too closely so i dont lose balance.

Yeah, jumping is the only scenario where my wide feet (really heels) thing goes out the window, as you need to be able to tug the wheel. But being able to be balls of your feet / "tiptoes", you can easily switch back & forth from both positionings Dorothy Wizard of Oz style! :lol:

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Come on @houseofjob!!! I finally stopped being lazy and finished my video. Prolly will upload it sometime today 

Nice! Looking forward to watching!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, exactly!

It's:

1. One leg straight, heel / whole foot down as the leverage foot
  2. Other leg knee bent, heel up as the "accelerator foot"
  3. Wheel body at an angle, not erect / upright, to create leverage angles, "front accelerator pedal" is sticking up at a non-flat leverage angle.

It's actually less work, not more! You are just shifting your gravity weight under you between feet, taking advantage of the wheel + your fall ability / gravity left-right. The concept IMHO is no different from how runners (at least long distance(?)) do not run straight upright over their heels, they should have the balls of their feet slightly behind their center of gravity line so that the fully body line is slightly tilted at a diagonal with head forward, so you are taking advantage of the fall gravity propelling you forward while you push off at the balls of your feet. Also, like running or cycling, you are using one foot at a time in alternation, so equal work really, same for what I describe.

Well; I guess we ride the same then. That’s how I ride. My body is sideways and never straight because of this 

• Like 1

I'm a very new rider with only about 150 miles on my wheel. I learned on my first day that tilting the wheel is what helped me turn and keep my balance so I have always had a little looser stance. Also, a couple of times I actually accidentally pressed the sides of my feet up against the body when I mounted and my feet really got sore fast so I always made sure they are not pressed against the body any more. I have been trying to learn to ride with one foot and have been having a very hard time with it. Now I wonder if it is because my foot and legs aren't pressed right up against the body to give me better leverage. Also, I have seen people jump over obstacles and it's hard to grip the wheel to lift when you have a wider stance.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dgar said:

Now I wonder if it is because my foot and legs aren't pressed right up against the body to give me better leverage. Also, I have seen people jump over obstacles and it's hard to grip the wheel to lift when you have a wider stance.

Regardless what you're trying to do on EUC, you should work on being able to change your feet positioning mid-ride, as it is IMHO invaluable, and not that hard! All it takes is lifting up the heel of the re-position foot, maintaining the balance weight at the ball of that foot, while twisting and smudging around at the ball to reposition.

I've said this before somewhere recently, but the wide thing, your foot only needs to be wide IMHo from the heels where your body weight is over, the toe area can be more in. Thus, re-position pivoting at the balls of your feet, you can instantly go from wide to narrow for whatever your purpose is. And really, both don't need to be wide at the same time.

For one-legging, it's most stable if you have some part of your leg pushing on the shell to counter your downward gravity on the pedal, since the other leg/foot is no longer on the other pedal to counterbalance. If I one-leg (which is really only when I free mount the wheel and then lazily mount the other foot late-ish), I'm on the ball of my mount foot, heel up, and facing the knee/toe into the wheel body with the idea of making it perpendicular to the wheel body, though it will never be perfectly perpendicular, all as my shin is contacting the wheel body, wheel body angling mount pedal slightly up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

maybe that's subconsciously why I'm not in a hurry to roll out this technique video haha

You son of a- 

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

LOL you're not the only one that gets inside their heads too much!

I have others on me to make this thing, and all I can say is I will still try, but don't wanna make broken promises. I have like way too much to say about this topic, which leads to perfection paralysis for me, so at some point, I gotta say F it and just make an imperfect video I guess *smh.

Just shoot me some shaky cell phone videos and send em over telegram for my own greedy indulgence. Then later, I'll edit the bloody thing, lol. 

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Come on @houseofjob!!! I finally stopped being lazy and finished my video. Prolly will upload it sometime today 

Cant wait to see this! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, seage said:

You son of a- 

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, seage said:

Just shoot me some shaky cell phone videos and send em over telegram for my own greedy indulgence. Then later, I'll edit the bloody thing, lol. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Regardless what you're trying to do on EUC, you should work on being able to change your feet positioning mid-ride, as it is IMHO invaluable, and not that hard! All it takes is lifting up the heel of the re-position foot, maintaining the balance weight at the ball of that foot, while twisting and smudging around at the ball to reposition.

I do this, better with my right foot than the left. But when my foot comes all the way off, I hear what sounds like a rubbing sound. Which I imagine to be the wheel and the shell.

1 minute ago, Blicky Te️la said:

I do this, better with my right foot than the left. But when my foot comes all the way off, I hear what sounds like a rubbing sound. Which I imagine to be the wheel and the shell.

That's typically a cracked inner shell around the seams in the plastic contacting the pedal hangars, I'd open it up and give a check.

• Like 1