Attention: Aliexpress/Chinese KS wheel locks!

Chriull

117334748_2692866334269662_6479974418193

117254210_2692866617602967_5817090947490

• Like 1

This saddens me as well. As I love my 16X, I was looking at the 18S as my next wheel. No more though. Company support is paramount. Without it, we are buying $2,000+ paper weights.

Thank goodness my fist purchase and all future purchases will be through Ewheels.com where I know everyone who has purchased from @Jason is more than satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, Ben Hatfield said:

the whole John Deer tractor thing is bad enough, where owners have to download custom (illegal) firmware so they can gain access to their own purchased vehicle for diagnostics and repairs (I haven't read up on this in a long time, so not sure where JD is at this point on this). 

John Deere thing is mostly cherry-picked stuff taken out of content, here's an explanation from one of the Right to Repair guys himself. It is not as bad as it sounds. 

• 3 weeks later...

Kingsong should fix their supply chain / retail network instead of punishing consumers who dont know anything about such politics or policies.
Its like buying a car in France and you drive it to Germany... then it stops in the middle of the road since its outside of its supposed purchased country.
Major blow to consumer protection and rights and will very badly impact Kingsong fans.... negatively!
I was going to buy S18 for my next EUC. Sorry to say, looking at other brands now. Very SAD day for consumers !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Kingsong doesnt have to please anybody. KS has every right to block sale and block support to any third party sellers that are not authorized and for buyers who think they can get away with it. KS shouldnt have to be responsible for a buyers ignorance if they bought it off on AliExpress 3rd party because they wanted to save a few bills. How KS determine which 3rd party seller they support is strictly under their right and discretion. Tesla, Apple etc companies also do the same thing. I dont really understand the big fuss, they have every right to protect their intellectual properties. Buyers are free to choose whatever product they want to support/buy and in terms of brand loyalty thats just some fairy nonsense. You choose a product based on what your pocket dictates and features. If you dont like how KS is doing their business, you are certainly within your right to complain and be dissatisfied. Whether they listen or ignore then that is also within their right. Unless you are a stock holder of their company then thats a different story. Take your money elsewhere, its not rocket science stop bullying KS to comply with your dissatisfaction. Imagine if ALL EUC manufacturers decided to copy KingSong's lock mechanism. Will everyone stop buying EUC? I highly doubt it.

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The issue was never with getting support. And everyone agrees, they should block their sales channel. But instead of doing that, they tamper with our property. Don’t you see the difference?

No they don’t. I’ve used only iPhones since the 3G, used and new, and Apple has never remotely locked my phone.

The fuss is about the end customer protecting their own physical property. Maybe you haven’t read on the subject very much?

The features of my KS wheel drastically changed 3 years after purchase when it suddenly turned into a paperweight. Only for four days, but still, someone taking control of my property or main means of transport for four days is not acceptable to me. By a long shot.

Having KS stocks wouldn’t change anything.

The discussion exists exactly to inform people so they can decide to do that.

Of course they wouldn’t. Then we would have no choice. Now we do have. But the choice has to be informed, through these discussions.

Well Said mrelwood ! Well Said !

Only thing Id add would be..... that I would end up purchasing an ebike or escooter (which from what i know do not tamper with private property) if all EUC manufacturer decides to imposes lock mechanism. All these electric last mile vehicles accomplish the same task, so Im form factor agnostic. Further, they are likely safe since it 2 wheeled so more reason to buy 2 wheeled electric last mile vehicle. 

• 5 months later...

Wow!  So glad I joined this forum otherwise wouldn't have been aware of this issue with KIng Song locking their wheels - was literally about to buy one.  Back to the evaluation process now minus any King Song products.   Are there any other EUC manufacturers likely to adopt this measure?

• Like 1

uhm, this only applies to KS wheels that have a "P" at the end of the serial number. KS has been very clear about this, check their website. A wheel purchased from the authorized supply chain will not be locked, so unless you have fundamental objections to how KS has chosen to enforce their supply chain agreements you have no additional cause for concern.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, EUC_GiO said:

Kingsong doesnt have to please anybody. KS has every right to block sale and block support to any third party sellers that are not authorized and for buyers who think they can get away with it. KS shouldnt have to be responsible for a buyers ignorance if they bought it off on AliExpress 3rd party because they wanted to save a few bills. How KS determine which 3rd party seller they support is strictly under their right and discretion. Tesla, Apple etc companies also do the same thing. I dont really understand the big fuss, they have every right to protect their intellectual properties. Buyers are free to choose whatever product they want to support/buy and in terms of brand loyalty thats just some fairy nonsense. You choose a product based on what your pocket dictates and features. If you dont like how KS is doing their business, you are certainly within your right to complain and be dissatisfied. Whether they listen or ignore then that is also within their right. Unless you are a stock holder of their company then thats a different story. Take your money elsewhere, its not rocket science stop bullying KS to comply with your dissatisfaction. Imagine if ALL EUC manufacturers decided to copy KingSong's lock mechanism. Will everyone stop buying EUC? I highly doubt it.

This doesn't "protect their intellectual property" in any way, it's about enforcing sales agreements. "Rights" aren't universal, so it's a bit silly to claim they are "within their rights" to do anything -- they could probably make wheels designed intentionally to seriously harm their international users and not face any repercussions legally, since they're an international company operating outside of the jurisdiction of any local courts. Just because you can't sue them for something doesn't mean it's an ethical practice, and in my opinion this is an extremely unethical way to enforce any sales agreements -- both because they punish a party not involved in the sales agreement (the end user) and because of software DRM/firmware control in general. If people continue dismissing issues like this as trivial, society will be in store for much more prevalent long-term-consumer-hostile behavior going forward.

I had an S18 (deposit) in my cart on ewheels, but I'm seriously considering a V11 instead because of this. Has the company issued any recent statements about this?

• Like 2

Vote with your pocketbook, it’s the only leverage you have.

I guess since it’s been a couple of years since KS made it clear they would lock wheels obtained on the grey market, I’d put the onus on the buyer… getting something for less money only happens because you’re willing to assume more risk—in this case you should know you might get a wheel subject to the lock.

But if you want a KS product, pay the extra money and buy it from an authorized reseller and you have nothing to worry about! Plus you’ll have some access to support, and that’s not something to dismiss lightly.

25 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Vote with your pocketbook, it’s the only leverage you have.

Agreed.

I guess since it’s been a couple of years since KS made it clear they would lock wheels obtained on the grey market, I’d put the onus on the buyer…

Announcing something at a enthusiast forum or even at their own web page doesn’t change the laws of owning or harming individually owned physical property one bit, and in my books doesn’t do much to the moral side of things either. If you buy a product, do you generally check if an enthusiast discussion forum exists and search for all possible relevant topics, and do you check if the manufacturer has some completely absurd announcement buried somewhere at their badly outdated webpage? A customer can’t be expected to do any if that, on any market segment.

getting something for less money only happens because you’re willing to assume more risk

Getting something for less money happens because the customer compares the pricing of different sellers. It has nothing inherent to do with risk. EUCO and Ewheels surely have different pricings. No risk involved choosing the cheaper one.

—in this case you should know you might get a wheel subject to the lock.

Absolutely not! It isn’t anywhere near reasonable to expect the customer to have done this kind of detective work before buying a product.

If you buy a selfie stick online, is it ok for it to blow up in your face if the manufacturer had announced a few years ago that the stick of dynamite will explode inside the selfie stick if you bought it from a seller that has the letters T, N and another T in their trade name?

If inflicting injury by this method isn’t ok, doing harm to personal property isn’t ok either.

Plus you’ll have some access to support, and that’s not something to dismiss lightly.

A common argument, and easily refuted. Support might not mean much if you live outside of the US. Getting any support, other than redirect the spare part parcels the manufacturer ships, is pretty rare across the globe. In our country for example there are still no shops that even offer EUC repairs, and the official KS distributor sells a handful of wheels per year through his web shop. He doesn’t stock spare parts, and frankly I’m not even sure if he has ever replaced an inner tube (or done any other service) for a customer.

That kind of service definitely isn’t worth the 400-800€ price difference. I’d offer the same service for 1/10th of the price.

• Like 1