How to center/balance a new tire

ExplodeMilk

Hi everyone, I own a Gotway MSX 84V. Recently, I changed the tire, but I struggle to center/balance the new tire, it keeps scraping the shell. And for some reason, it scraps much worse when I lay it down sideway control board side facing upward than the other side, I can't tell what is happening. Did anyone of you ever experience this before? 

2 hours ago, ExplodeMilk said:

Hi everyone, I own a Gotway MSX 84V. Recently, I changed the tire, but I struggle to center/balance the new tire, it keeps scraping the shell. And for some reason, it scraps much worse when I lay it down sideway control board side facing upward than the other side, I can't tell what is happening. Did anyone of you ever experience this before? 

Check the schrader valve area. It's pretty common for the tire to be pushed out of place there. Look at the thin ring of rubber around the tyre bead for reference, it can help heaps in locating the offending spot. 

Once you have found the offending spot, let all the air out, push your tyre deep into the rim and inflate to max pressure again to try and let it reseat itself correctly. For me 40psi is usually enough. 

If it still won't sit right after multiple attempts of massaging, try spraying glass cleaner all around the bead and try again.  It acts as a lubricant that evaporates quickly without residue. Many professionals use it. 

• Like 2

If the rubbing is different on each size it sounds like there's some play in the axle or bearing.  Are you sure that the wheel has been reassembled correctly?  Is the tyre exactly the same size and shape as the old tyre?

@Tinkererboi's comments about using the bead markings to line up the tyre are important and very useful.  I do take a slightly different approach to @Tinkererboi in terms of seating.  Instead of inflating in one go I tend to inflate progressively.  I'll seat the tyre and put a small amount of air in.  I'll then work the full circumference of the tyre, rocking it from side to side forcefully to a) get the bead seated correctly and b) work any misalignment of inner tube out.  I'll then add some more air and repeat.  Typically I'll do 3-4 iterations of this before I'm comfortable enough to inflate to working pressure.

The reason I like this approach is that you can work out any alignment of outer tyre or inner tube as I go without having to do full deflation/inflation cycles.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

i've found this method so easy and 100% working:

put tire in
put some soap on the rim and the tire, there should be low friction between them
inflate to a really low pressure that you can ride, something like 15-20 psi
go for a little ride moving your weight around, do lot of 360° left and right and some straight line
your tire should be alligned
inflate it to correct pressure