Suspension wheel owners, are you going back?

ir_fuel

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Point taken concerning the battery range, but I'm not a hypermiler. My longest rides have been 25 miles.

Exactly, we're all different. My shortest rides are 25-miles :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Something I have been wondering:

I see people start receiving/riding their suspension wheels, S18, V11. I am seriously contemplating getting one too, but as most of you my current fleet is non-suspension (of course).

For those of you that got a suspension wheel, do you still hop on your non-suspension wheels or do they feel harsh and outdated once you get used to the feeling of suspension under your feet?

E.g. I have a Z10 and a KS16X. The first one has the battery capacity of the S18. the second one of the V11.

Would those wheels still be used if I got a S18 or V11? I think it would have zero sense to go ride in the forest with a Z10 or KS16X once you have suspension at your disposal, but in a way the same goes for city riding.

@Marty Backe said suspension is the way forward in one of his videos. I wonder what his opinion is on this.

I own a Z10 as well.  I still ride my Z10 because we'll it's awesome and very relavent.  Plus I had to send my first V11  back and I'm still waiting on the replacement.  The V11 is extremely smooth, in fact it's the smoothest wheel I've ever been on and it was extremely easy to get used to.  The Z is staying in my stable.

After having tried the V11 for at least an hour, I ordered one and decided it will replace/I'll be selling both my Nikola+ and V10, but I'll still keep something small in the class of V8F/KS-16S. That should fill my needs efficiency and eliminate any redundancy in my current set, while pairing down sufficiently to feel free to pick up a third wheel again in the future the next time something catches my eye.

Edited by AtlasP

On 8/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Marty Backe said:

If I owned the V11 (I may) I would certainly choose it for many types of trail riding, but my other wheels still offer compelling reasons to ride them (better pedal clearance, far greater range, disco lights, music, style, etc).

Just an FYI, the production V11 has much higher pedals than the preproduction, which is the one I think you tested.

• Like 1

Will I go back?.......... Yes ...... I just don't want to. I sold my old MSX to buy a MSP. Then the S18 hit the headlines. I bought the S18 and love it. I still want a MSX yet the S18 has filled part of the need that I had for the MSX.  Soooooooo  ........ I am just going to have to buy the GW EX. The things that we have to do. :innocent1: :whistling:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mark Wilson said:

Just an FYI, the production V11 has much higher pedals than the preproduction, which is the one I think you tested.

I know, but when the suspension is compressed I suspect the pedals will still be lower than the MSX/MSP

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I know, but when the suspension is compressed I suspect the pedals will still be lower than the MSX/MSP

I seriously doubt that. They raised the pedal level by 5 cm / 2”. @mrelwood you have access to both, can you measure?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

seriously doubt that. They raised the pedal level by 5 cm / 2”. @mrelwood you have access to both, can you measure?

Looking forward to news on this too. 2 inches is plenty. Possibly enough extra clearance for me to pull the trigger and forget about locksong for good.

Have been thinking of proper pads for the S11. Tested my existing pads with only a small strip of velcro down the middle and found out it still works and jumps fine.

Might be still be possible to use full sized pads on the V11 afterall- as long I can stand the sound of fabric rubbing on the main shell.

8 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I seriously doubt that. They raised the pedal level by 5 cm / 2”. @mrelwood you have access to both, can you measure?

We're both guessing right now. I'll need to see some hard numbers.

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We're both guessing right now. I'll need to see some hard numbers.

They also raised the angle to 9 degrees. I just went and measured mine. The bottom edge of the pedal is at 24 cm / 9.45" and my usual sag is set between 1-3 cm or around an inch. Naturally it bottoms out at 15.5 cm / 6". My normal riding height measured at the bottom or the pedal edge would then be somewhere between 21-23 cm. 

Edit: Inmotion own spec sheet says 25 cm. That is probably the top of the pedal. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Edit: Inmotion own spec sheet says 25 cm. That is probably the top of the pedal. 

Unfortunately each manufacturer measures every physical dimension differently, making all their numbers useless to compare anything. (Pedal height from bottom of pedal or top of pedal, at the outside edge or inside by standoff. Case width including pedal stand-offs/pedals folded up, or minus pedals/pedal stand-offs entirely, or with pedals down(!?). Etc etc.)