Question about side lean angle cut off on berms

Obee

Watching this vid 

Specifically starting at 2:14, got me thinking. 

Say you are riding an EUC with a 45 degree side lean angle cut off around a banked turn...

Say you have a good steep berm of 45 degrees and your speed is such that the EUC follows the bank angle with centrifugal force vector more or less straight up and down RELATIVE TO the EUC while the EUC is actually 45 degrees tilted relative to "artificial horizon"... At this point are you on the verge of cut off, or does the EUC think it's more or less "straight up"?

Or asked more simply: can you lean these things way over (further than you could lean them standing still) on a banked turn?

6 hours ago, Obee said:

Or asked more simply: can you lean these things way over (further than you could lean them standing still) on a banked turn?

No you can't. With the combination of accelerometers and compass the wheel is able to know the true horizon at all times. Tilt the wheel for more than 45° (relative to true horizon) and the motor switches off immediately, no matter the speed or the angle of the bank you are riding.

• Like 2

I will admit, I still want to test it. 

I believe these machines are capable of distinguishing a side lean force relative to the horizon vs a side force relative to the machine. 

But imagining I am the designer; I want the machine to turn off when it crashes.  So a side lean angle shutoff is for that purpose.  But that purpose is served by measuring the angle relative to the machine rather than the horizon. 

Now as I noob I have no idea what has been tested before my arrival on the scene.  Maybe it's been tested already.  But I will try to test anyway. 

3 hours ago, Obee said:

But imagining I am the designer; I want the machine to turn off when it crashes.  So a side lean angle shutoff is for that purpose.  But that purpose is served by measuring the angle relative to the machine rather than the horizon.

The actual positional and accelerometer data is already being used by the fw that controls the motor, so applying just an additional rule to shut off at an angle could be a lot easier than to have an additional parameter provided from the hw.

3 hours ago, Obee said:

But I will try to test anyway. 

Just wear ample protection. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Accelerometers and gyroscopes function exclusively. A calibrated gyroscope always knows which way is down. A calibrated accelerometer typically doesn't know which way is down. Pairing the two could make wheels smart enough to not cut out around berms but the computation is more complex and the behavior might be less predictable.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, mrelwood said:

No you can't. With the combination of accelerometers and compass the wheel is able to know the true horizon at all times. Tilt the wheel for more than 45° (relative to true horizon) and the motor switches off immediately, no matter the speed or the angle of the bank you are riding.

Well you learn something new every day! I had always assumed that an electronic system would still work the same as an old 'plum bob' - meaning if you were on a berm at 45 deg/1G the wheel would still read the same lean angle as if it was static. Well now I know!