Morons with music

I'm with you on this.  Subjecting other people to an individual taste in music seems selfish and inconsiderate.  It does nothing to help improve the perception of something that's illegal in many places, including here in the UK.

• Like 2

I used to ride with 1 Samsung bud in my ear but it fell out and got run over. 

Since then I ride with a Bluetooth speaker attached to my front strap on my ruck sack but only play music enough so I only can hear it. I never use my euc speaker (msp). 

But yeh blasting music is not cool and not really the norm in the UK. 

Another issue is i record for YouTube and having music coming out of the Bluetooth speaker is a nightmare for copyright stuff. So when I'm recording the music stays off. 

Il look into securing wireless bud in my ear. Maybe get a tether of some sort. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Antec said:

I used to ride with 1 Samsung bud in my ear but it fell out and got run over. 

Ouch, that sounds expensive :(

I use wired headphones (olde skool!) when I'm listening to music on the wheel.  That way my expensive bluetooth ones stay safe :D

As an interesting side effect: Because the wired headphones aren't noise-cancelling they actually do a very good job of allowing me to hear traffic noises or the buzz of the knobbly tyre :D  :D

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, StuartL said:

Ouch, that sounds expensive :(

I use wired headphones (olde skool!) when I'm listening to music on the wheel.  That way my expensive bluetooth ones stay safe :D

As an interesting side effect: Because the wired headphones aren't noise-cancelling they actually do a very good job of allowing me to hear traffic noises or the buzz of the knobbly tyre :D  :D

im worried about having any wires hanging around my neck as if you come off the wheel you could get strangled, chances are very low but the risk is still there, so please be careful mate.

22 minutes ago, Antec said:

if you come off the wheel you could get strangled

I think you've overestimating the strength of the standard wired headphones ;)

Your point is well noted, I feed the cables down my shirt and make sure that they're hooked in place with the helmet, this way there's very little wire loose to get caught on anything.  If they did get caught I'm positive that they'd get ripped out of my ears first and then ripped off the cable second :D

• Like 3

I use the Bose Soundwear and am very happy with the sound.  You don’t get huge bass but it’s much more discrete and won’t bother others unless you’re within hugging range which has been outlawed with the pandemic.  

As long as the unicycle is on its way somewhere, some noise going along with it is actually helpful.

But I don't know how to make the phone choose a tune based on the situation.
When cruising - Tchajkovskij.  Mounting and dismounting - kazoos.  

• Like 1

Jack agree, I hate people walking with headphones on, hearing nothing around them or grup of people takeing all space from sidewalks. So I make them to turn their head behind.....

More safety for me...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AngryJackPCB said:

I am a moron who plays music! When no one is around I have it blasting. If I ride into a neighborhood or see people ahead I either turn it way down so i can barely hear it, or shut it off. 

I've found it useful for getting people's attention when they are walking with ear buds and can't hear me saying I'm about to pass them. Just yesterday I tried to go around one of these idiots taking up the whole sidewalk, blissfully unaware that a biker, jogger, etc might come up behind him. I tried going in the grass off to the side and my wheel instantly sunk in the mud while my body followed Newton's law. I found myself sprawled out in the mud and he never looked back or heard my crash. So I turned my music way up and rode up right behind him until he realized he is not alone in this world.

Shouldn't you be riding on the road? 

I like to smoothly wheel up behind the mail carrier - and go WAAAAZZZZZUP!!!! Scares the crap outta them - nobody gone postal on me yet 😉 but I am in ultra-polite Canada!

Same for kids going to school in the morning - I get em everytime!!!

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Shouldn't you be riding on the road? 

Do ride on the road as much as possible. But due to twisting, hilly, narrow roads without a bike lane you can't.

Around here close to Washington DC, if you are on the road, you will be run over. I wear a bright yellow safety vest and flashing LED sneakers and they still almost hit me.

I'd rather be on the road because it's a much smother ride but it's too dangerous sometimes.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

aww, living in a society must be terrible. Loud music, stupidity, people getting in the way, thats how life is for those that live in poulated areas. Wearing headphones while operating a vehilce is a HUGE no-no for me. Hell, I dont even play my car radio loud and always leave the windows down. Being able to hear traffic is paramount for safety imho.  Here's the rub... In a free society, your desire to have' peace and quiet' is infringing on the right of someone to enjoy music. If you dont like it, you need to relocate to a place where you can create your own reality.  What you find annoying, others find enjoyable. So, who has more rights to enjoy their lives? Then theres the arguement that if you are too quiet on an euc, people get hit as they step in front of you while walking on their iditoic cell phones. Basically, you cannot win. In the end, please stay in the city and deal with that bullshit. Once you move to the country, you ruin MY reality.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had an odd "music incident" last week: there was someone playing tribal rhythms on a drum on the park across from me. I put up with it for 10 mins and then went over to shut them up. It turned out to be 2 women under the shelter of a willow tree,  one normally dressed while the other was dressed in a very hippy/American Indian fashion. The hippy one was gesturing to ask if I could be quiet while she just finished her chanting. The other one was standing with her eyes closed, meditating. I was going to ask why the hell I should be quiet while she's banging bloody drums but she she was quite cute so I waited. The next moment her partner just collapsed sideways unconscious into the long grass next to me! It wasn't even a graceful fall. I had no idea whether it was drugs, witchcraft, exorcism or a preliminary to human sacrifice but I just asked the hippy girl if she could be quieter with the drums or perhaps move out of earshot.

8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I had an odd "music incident" last week: there was someone playing tribal rhythms on a drum on the park across from me. I put up with it for 10 mins and then went over to shut them up. It turned out to be 2 women under the shelter of a willow tree,  one normally dressed while the other was dressed in a very hippy/American Indian fashion. The hippy one was gesturing to ask if I could be quiet while she just finished her chanting. The other one was standing with her eyes closed, meditating. I was going to ask why the hell I should be quiet while she's banging bloody drums but she she was quite cute so I waited. The next moment her partner just collapsed sideways unconscious into the long grass next to me! It wasn't even a graceful fall. I had no idea whether it was drugs, witchcraft, exorcism or a preliminary to human sacrifice but I just asked the hippy girl if she could be quieter with the drums or perhaps move out of earshot.

Wow.. now thats some dedicated hippy shit! At least one down only one to go. TOo bad the wrong lady fell out first... Maybe you should record that drum beat and play it in the wheel. Watch the hippies fall out as you pass them on the nature paths? Neat story, I wish you had filmed it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet