Sore feet and foot peddles

Phil Howell

G'day everyone, I have seen a few threads on here about sore feet etc . As I'm new to the EUC's and I have old guy foot problems,

I thought it was just me anyway I have done something that seems to help me and wondered if anyone else has tried this or is it a really bad idea.

I cut some High density rubber matting that is designed for impact absorbsion into wedges and places them into the gaps in my peddles when ridding and they certainly help me with the sore feet.

I know it will stop the peddles from folding if I come off but there is still some give there so I dont think I will break anything..

They are not pretty but that was not my main focus :-) it was to try and help my feet. Opinions ???

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

Phil, I say if it helps, you don't need anyone else's opinion.  Go for it.   I have been using cushioning socks because my 9B1 does not have the same voids that your EU has. But I can tell you without the thicker socks I get about 2 miles before my feet start hurting.  With the socks I get a few more miles. 

Cheers,

Jim

sore feet come from different causes: feet too far backwards continuously fighting the tillt at higher speeds, bad shoes (low support on the inside, weak sole, low grip sole and too slippery pedals), too narrow shoes (a size bigger than your normal shoes sometimes helps if you have flat feet=broader front part), laces too tight (narrows the shoe, reduces circulation), too cold, not enough movement (low circulation), not enough practice

Funny you saying when the weather warms up you may try it, it was 42 degrees C here yesterday :-) I'm waiting for a cooler day so I can go riding again.

As for the warranty the local dealer here in Australia says on their website that if you don't buy the Air Wheel from them they won't cover any waranty which I think would be ilegal here in Aust and as they charge $1400 AU for the same machine I paid $640 AU for on ebay from an Australian seller I think I'm ahead with the deal. and yep it's an original Q3 not clone..

Great idea! Great modification! 

I get sore the quickest in casual shoes with a thin sole and dress shoes with a leather sole.

I do the best with trainers and good supportive work boots.

The very large pedals on the MSuper are more comfortable. I find that when I am using my large padded saddle, it bows my legs out a little and the outside of my feet get sore, but without the padding even though my feet are flatter and more comfortable, I don't have the same connection between my EU and the inside of my knees for turning and leaning.

When I do get sore, I do the foot shuffle, alternating riding with my weight on one side and then the other.

I've been puzzling on how to pad the pedals for a while, and I think that cutouts from rubber mats are the way to go, but I still want the pedals to close well so I haven't tried it yet.

I think it will take a wedge shaped pad (like @Phil Howell did) so the pedals can still flip up, and then a litle magnet extender so that the pedals can still be help up by the magnet even though they won't be fully closing.

The more I procrastinate, the more my feet are toughening up!

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to all who are checking new posts! (this is as good as any thread to hijack with that!) With family visiting, we were all playing with toys, EU and otherwise, in the driveway together, and I was able to zip in to work and quickly home again on the EU without getting the the fried turkey off schedule!

6 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

they charge $1400 AU for the same machine I paid $640 AU for on ebay from an Australian seller I think I'm ahead with the deal. and yep it's an original Q3 not clone..

You could buy a second machine and have a full parts cycle and still pay less than the other guys.  That leaves $120 for foot massages on the weekends...

The alternative method is to cut a small wedge of rubber from an old car tyre sidewall and glue into the center section of the pedal hinge. That way the whole pedal gets a surprising amount of elastomer type suspension and as long as you only glue it one side the pedals still fold with no problems.

Just now, Paulandjacquelyn said:

When my feet hurt it's a reminder to scoot them up a bit on pedals. Pain quickly goes away.  It's amazing how much a half inch impacts muscles on leg n foot.

I also noticed this on my long rides.  It makes a Huge difference, and Quickly.  Part of the issue with mine is the peddle has that large groove in the middle.  If it were flat all the way across, it would help a bit to.

Good post Phil, at the end of the day its your comfort on the ride thats important...

Ive had my 9BO e+ for a month now and enjoy riding and continuing to learn on it...ive noticed that when I wear runners Im a bit more comfy on it, maybe its the design of the shoe as it itself is preety heavily padded...Ive ridden home from work a cpl of times in my business shoes and the cushioning definitely isnt the same, and the feet do ache a bit..

Enjoy your riding

11 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

When my feet hurt it's a reminder to scoot them up a bit on pedals. Pain quickly goes away.  It's amazing how much a half inch impacts muscles on leg n foot.

Hah, I have the opposite problem -- when my feet hurt, it's a reminder to scoot them back a bit on the pedals!;)

On November 26, 2015 at 2:51:58 PM, Phil Howell said:

Funny you saying when the weather warms up you may try it, it was 42 degrees C here yesterday :-) I'm waiting for a cooler day so I can go riding again.

As for the warranty the local dealer here in Australia says on their website that if you don't buy the Air Wheel from them they won't cover any waranty which I think would be ilegal here in Aust and as they charge $1400 AU for the same machine I paid $640 AU for on ebay from an Australian seller I think I'm ahead with the deal. and yep it's an original Q3 not clone..

$1400, wow, you could buy an GotWay Msuper. That's  a pretty high premium if ask me. You can easily buy two wheels 

That's the trouble with living in Australia, everything that is imported cost more (freight costs etc), we are over taxed a twenty pack of Malboro will cost you $23.65 AU and Petrol is $1.37 per litre which is $5.17 per Gallon US. Corona's are $49.94 for a ctn of 24 I think I paid $13 US in Hawaii in April for a ctn and most Vodkas were $13 US the cheapest here is $35-$40 AU

If it's fun or the PC crowd think it's not good for you they will tax it to stop people from using it (just like Demolition Man) :-)

5 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

That's the trouble with living in Australia, everything that is imported cost more (freight costs etc), we are over taxed a twenty pack of Malboro will cost you $23.65 AU and Petrol is $1.37 per litre which is $5.17 per Gallon US. Corona's are $49.94 for a ctn of 24 I think I paid $13 US in Hawaii in April for a ctn and most Vodkas were $13 US the cheapest here is $35-$40 AU

If it's fun or the PC crowd think it's not good for you they will tax it to stop people from using it (just like Demolition Man) :-)

Wow, pricy. Yeah I hear it's costly to visit Australia. Still on my list of places to visit though.  But I'm sure pay has to be inline with the inflation of cost of products and living expenses. If not, you wouldn't be able to buy anything right?

5 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

Well at least you guys have the weather. In Norway we have almost the same prices minus the beaches and kangaroos. :D

5 hours ago, Viktiga said:

Well at least you guys have the weather. In Norway we have almost the same prices minus the beaches and kangaroos. :D

Given how many deadly poisonous plants and animals they have in Australia, I'd think an EUC would be pretty popular. Aussies would read a thread here saying, "You can be seriously hurt on an EUC" and they're like, "What, it's not trying to kill me? I'll get one!"

Living in Switzerland just means that wherever you go on vacation, everything is a lot cheaper! :lol: (except two spots on the planet, thats London for one and Tokyo for the other)

But back to the actual thing, I work against sore feet and cramps while riding with the following exercises:

- Lift the toes on one foot and the heels on the other foot while riding on and keeping balance. Switch after a few seconds.

- Slowly move as much weight on one foot as you still can balance and try to slightly move your toes outwards or heels, depending on your feeling. Repeat for the other side.

- If you are brave enough, I'd not recommend it, do-the-twist dance move. simultaneously move your toes outward, then the heels..

Then you need to order a quarterpounder with Cheese.. or was it a Royal TS? :D:D
pulp-fiction-the-twist-gif.gif?w=300&h=1

Archived