WARNING KINGSONG PRODUCTS

Vulkov

27 minutes ago, meriwald said:

Welcome to the fukxng transition from factory to a brand. This is a totally retarded answer from KS. The guy is not asking for any support, just DONT lock the wheel

fucking money grabbers

GotWay one love 

This is terrible news. Was planning to get an S18. Might have to settle for the V11 just because of this. Disappointed in KS, this was their chance to grab market share back from Inmotion.

• Like 1

I totally agree with the above. I have had several wheels but I stay with Kingsong because I like their reliability and the algorithm.
Whether purchased from aliexpress, these are wheels manufactured by Kingsong from the same fucking factory.

I can understand that Kingsong withdraws warranty from the wheels if not purchased from a local dealer for protecting their network of sellers.

What is unacceptable is to start locking existing wheels. Many wheelers started out with KS wheels from Aliexpress or even used.
Blocking an existing wheel like this causes its value to be reduced, which is legally wrong.

For my part, I regret having pre-ordered an s18 from an official dealer (ks europe) who has no sense of the customer, and if Kingsong does not review his copy, it will be my last wheel with them.

• Like 2

Has there been a second (or more) report of this happening beyond the OP?  I'm not trying to excuse the behaviour of King Song, I think it's abhorrent to lock someone's wheel, I'm just wondering if there's more to this story than first meets the eye.  e.g. If this specific wheel was given to someone as a pre-production test unit and then sold on AliExpress illegitimately.

Locking one wheel because someone breached their contract is a very different situation to routinely locking wheels bought on Aliexpress.

Regarding the OP's problem: If you bought something new from a UK business (and they must be trading as a business) then you have implied warranty.  If the wheel doesn't work then you are entitled to an automatic refund.  Within the first 6 months the burden of proof is upon the seller (i.e. the seller has to prove that you broke it).  Between 6 and 12 months you have to prove that the wheel is unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold.

This isn't something a seller can opt out of, it's automatic in UK law when someone trading as a business sells something listed as 'new'.  Incidentally it also applies (to a lesser extent and for a shorter period) to used cars bought from a car dealer :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StuartL said:

Has there been a second (or more) report of this happening beyond the OP?  I'm not trying to excuse the behaviour of King Song, I think it's abhorrent to lock someone's wheel, I'm just wondering if there's more to this story than first meets the eye.  e.g. If this specific wheel was given to someone as a pre-production test unit and then sold on AliExpress illegitimately.

Locking one wheel because someone breached their contract is a very different situation to routinely locking wheels bought on Aliexpress.

Regarding the OP's problem: If you bought something new from a UK business (and they must be trading as a business) then you have implied warranty.  If the wheel doesn't work then you are entitled to an automatic refund.  Within the first 6 months the burden of proof is upon the seller (i.e. the seller has to prove that you broke it).  Between 6 and 12 months you have to prove that the wheel is unsuitable for the purpose for which it was sold.

This isn't something a seller can opt out of, it's automatic in UK law when someone trading as a business sells something listed as 'new'.  Incidentally it also applies (to a lesser extent and for a shorter period) to used cars bought from a car dealer :)

Thank you for the info! My wheel was bought from a private entity who bought it from Aliexpress. I'm in the process of returning the wheel as I was lucky enough that the person that I bought it from happened to be an incredibly decent human being.

It takes one look at the Facebook groups to see that people complain about locked wheels and it seems to be just beginning. Unfortunate for Kingsong, as this will only hurt them IMO.

I'm going to order a V11. 

Edited by Vulkov
A word
  • Like 3

I've got a china source that says they have a way round this. I'll update or post a new thread once I have any news.

Regardless this is fukkin' ridiculous. If so proven, lets not let KS get away with tactics like this.

Don't wanna get political here but it sure as heck smacks of CCP vileness in how they treat their own citizens, nevermind others. Remember their "Social Credit" system where they can literally ban peeps from getting jobs, travelling or whateva da hell they want just cos.....! VILE is da word. 

I think its time for an American/Canadian/EU or even other SEA companies to step up to mfgr these things as its not really rocket science. I'm will to pay more (within reason ofcos). 

• Like 2

It would be interesting to get an official statement from King Song on this (@Jack King Song?) as there's a lot of people (myself included) about to drop a bunch of cash on a suspension wheel and this could be an influencing factor.  It's encouraging that @mrelwood got his issue fixed but it's unclear why that case is different to @Vulkov's case.

For those who consider this business practice unacceptable I'd like to point out that it's entirely normal for any global manufacturer to take a similar approach to pricing.  When undertaking global manufacture of any product you always know that some markets are more lucrative than others and you price your products accordingly. This means that in some markets you may be making very little margin but in others you're making a higher margin.  Some of this is basic economics and some of this is the increased costs of doing business overseas:

* You might not be able to sell the product at a higher price in one market but you still need to make a certain amount of money to make the business viable, so you sell it at the maximum price you think each market will suffer so that you're still running a viable business.

* The costs of doing international business should not be understated.  International certifications (FCC, EC, EMC etc) do not come cheap and require massive admin overhead to maintain and document for shipping.  Shipping itself has a huge resource cost, especially for dangerous goods (which lithium batteries are).  All of these costs have to come from somewhere and it's unfair for the Chinese market to suffer these additional costs.  Indeed it's likely that KingSong wouldn't be able to sell to the Chinese market if they priced the international costs into the Chinese products.

* It's likely that wheels bought through AliExpress (or alternatives) aren't considering some of these international shipping matters and may not be declaring things correctly on invoices.  Wheels may be listed without the batteries or the customs invoice may have an incorrect value.  Wheels may not have the correct product identification stickers (FCC/CE, etc).  These common behaviours are not exactly moral and may result in customs delays, customs bills or your wheel simply being confiscated on arrival.

When you buy a Chinese product internationally you are getting the benefits of KingSong's international market without compensating KingSong financially for that sale.  I can understand why they're frustrated.

Don't get me wrong, this post is intended to speculate as to King Song's perspective.  I don't think it's right that the consumer is the one who suffers a locked wheel and appreciate that @Jack King Song has arranged for at least one wheel to be unlocked.

• Like 2

I bought my KS16x from a EU dealer and was very happy I did, since it had issues. My dealer did everything they could to rectify the defects, in the end I sent it back to them and they repaired it free of charge (new motherboard and tire). Now it has been flawless for a year so far.

I wanted to pre-order a KS S18 and found my way to Chicway shop. Pricing is about 1500 euro there compared to about 2200 euro at official EU dealers. I asked my dealer why the huge difference in price and they said the ones Chicway sell are meant for the Chinese market, built using inferior parts and locked ad 20km/h (they are not allowed to go faster in China). Chicway does state a top speed of 31mph (50km/h) though. My dealer then made me a better offer for the s18 since I am a returning customer. Still nowhere near Chicway price but I did take that offer knowing I will get full support, since I needed it in the past.

Now to get to the point; I understand what Kingsong is doing. They don't want their products sold by 3rd parties without warranty or support. If you buy a wheel flagged for the Chinese market and it shows them you are trying to use it in Europe... And they can't make an exception because that would be the same as allowing the sales (since everybody buying from the guy you bought it from will want an exception ofc). You say there is no way for you to know? Well if it is like 500 euro cheaper then on EU sellers, that should be an obvious red flag. Not saying all wheels from Chicway or Aliexpress are "tampered with/locked", but it is a gamble.

1 hour ago, Skecys said:

I asked my dealer why the huge difference in price and they said the ones Chicway sell are meant for the Chinese market, built using inferior parts and locked ad 20km/h (they are not allowed to go faster in China).

34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t believe these two claims to be true.

Afair there were chinese reviews of wheels going faster than 20 km/h?

Imho even the ks s18?

No "modern", new wheel would make sense beeing "crippled" to 20 km/h pricewise - any 1000W motor would much more than enough. So something like the KS16S would be the perfect wheel for china. And maybe some older GW with more battery capacity.

There is no need to build a wheel limited to 20 km/h with inferior parts - an inferior old wheel is more than enough...

Edited by Chriull
Too much typos...
  • Like 1

If you would be moving to or from China certain things won't work/be allowed. You can't use Facebook in China for example. If KS stated they do NOT want people selling their wheels from China (Aliexpress etc.) then they can do whatever they want to it. Not saying I stand behind this.

Keep in mind that most people, especially in Europe are "supposed" to pay import tax on these wheels. Hence why they are so expensive by comparison. 

@mrelwood Humor me; how would you, if you were Kingsong, stop Aliexpress sellers from selling your product? They can't control who buys their stock. They can however make "us" stop buying from those sellers.

I don't know how else to explain this whole ordeal. You saying they are just picking on this one guy somewhere cause they can? That would be really petty.

Edited by Skecys

18 minutes ago, Skecys said:

They can however make "us" stop buying from those sellers.

Yes, they can. But as @mrelwood posted, if tgey do it by punishing their customers spending their hard earned money, they'll get their anger in return.

Also very understandable ;(

16 minutes ago, Antec said:

Everyone knows if you buy from Aliexpress the warranty is with the seller and not the manufacturer. This is a risk the buyer takes. No one has ever disputed thiis.

But for the manufacture to start disabling your wheel remotely is bad call. It's simply wrong. 

And exactly this could be/is the problem - if someone not knowing this KS policy, as there is absolutely no obligation for any customer to ask the manufacturer before buying from some reseller, they get the wheel in good faith from alieexpress, drive some time, miss their dispute deadline and are f***ed.

Only a new wheel dead on arrival could save the customers (1) - but i'm not sure about who has to bear the costs of return shipment. If they have to be payed by the customer, it would still be enough anger left in regard to KS...

Edit: (1) if they have the time to try it within this short period of time and do not allow the aliexpress reseller to.persuade/sweet talk to them. Which some of them master with perfect skill...:(

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skecys said:

Keep in mind that most people, especially in Europe are "supposed" to pay import tax on these wheels. Hence why they are so expensive by comparison.

Hey Skecys,

Please read the whole thread again, as I also stated in previous messages - the difference in pricing is NOT implied import tax evasion for Europe.
You can check import taxes and calculate them, European / Belgium (It is not that difference - that is hogwash).
Even if you'd suggest the other continent resellers pay 0 import tax (!) and only sales tax, it still would not explain the price difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Me and my brother are loyal KS customers (after our ninebot one e+) and very pleased with our decision. But playing devils advocat, any ks wheel (even any bought through a western reseller) could be locked anytime one opens a ks app... :(

This would be possible on Inmotion as well, any wheel with a software update ability. Also since it is just software it should be possible to rewrite/circumvent a lockout

1 hour ago, Meulebeest said:

Please read the whole thread again, as I also stated in previous messages - the difference in pricing is NOT implied import tax evasion for Europe.
You can check import taxes and calculate them, European / Belgium (It is not that difference - that is hogwash).
Even if you'd suggest the other continent resellers pay 0 import tax (!) and only sales tax, it still would not explain the price difference.

If I were to buy from a Chinese reseller and import the wheel I would have to pay 21% import tax on top of service fees. FYI I recently had a 112 euro package come from the US and that cost me a whopping 51 euro extra to import. On a 2k euro wheel you would have to pay like 500 euro import tax and duties in Belgium...

Strangely and gladly, I have 4 KingSong wheels and never have run into the wheels being locked permanently. They were bought from different sources. First time heard of this. Why would a reseller do this, even unintentionally? This would like close down his own business. Is this regional, maybe?