Tire for winter

Wolverine

Hi,

I plan to drive around the year, even in winter. In winter, the road is icy in my country. Where can I get tire for icy roads? Is there tire with studs? How did you solve this problem? Or is there winter tire for another euc than V10F?

• Like 2

A winter tire for EUCs doesn’t have a clear cut solution at the moment. Some people are fine with taking it slow with the original tire, some install a knobby to grab in the snow, and some go all the way of installing screw-in winter studs. My personal opinion having ridden the last winter on a studded trials tire CST C-186 is that the security and authority a studded knobby can offer is mesmerizing enough to be the absolutely best option if one rides any meaningful amounts in snow or ice. I truly was able to ride just like I do in the summer in almost all situations and weathers.

Even the smallest screw-in studs are long enough to require a knobby of some sort not to puncture the inner tube. And even with a knobby, a shielding layer (or at least Tire Slime or other good quality puncture sealant) is required between the outer tire and the inner tube. On my tube, Goop had been hard at work as the studs made their way through the tube at a dozen or more places. I will shield the tube come next winter though.

For the tire itself I would first look if there are scooter winter tires that would fit your EUC. For a V10 there doesn’t seem to be any in 16x2.5 though, so you’d be forced to tolerate the handling of a 60/100-12 motocross tire (hoping it fits) and screw in the studs yourself. Just look for a tire with the knobs as close to eachother as you can find.

The 18x3 size seems to be the best EUC size for tire availability. I have just finished a test on a 80/90-14 scooter snow tire on the MSX. Conclusion: Incredible grip and stability, unfortunately it doesn’t take turns/carving very nicely.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A winter tire for EUCs doesn’t have a clear cut solution at the moment. Some people are fine with taking it slow with the original tire, some install a knobby to grab in the snow, and some go all the way of installing screw-in winter studs. My personal opinion having ridden the last winter on a studded trials tire CST C-186 is that the security and authority a studded knobby can offer is mesmerizing enough to be the absolutely best option if one rides any meaningful amounts in snow or ice. I truly was able to ride just like I do in the summer in almost all situations and weathers.

Even the smallest screw-in studs are long enough to require a knobby of some sort not to puncture the inner tube. And even with a knobby, a shielding layer (or at least Tire Slime or other good quality puncture sealant) is required between the outer tire and the inner tube. On my tube, Goop had been hard at work as the studs made their way through the tube at a dozen or more places. I will shield the tube come next winter though.

For the tire itself I would first look if there are scooter winter tires that would fit your EUC. For a V10 there doesn’t seem to be any in 16x2.5 though, so you’d be forced to tolerate the handling of a 60/100-12 motocross tire (hoping it fits) and screw in the studs yourself. Just look for a tire with the knobs as close to eachother as you can find.

The 18x3 size seems to be the best EUC size for tire availability. I have just finished a test on a 80/90-14 scooter snow tire on the MSX. Conclusion: Incredible grip and stability, unfortunately it doesn’t take turns/carving very nicely.

I thought no one would answer, thank you very much! The use of CST C-186 seems to be a particularly good idea. Where can I find information about which tire can be fit to specific euc? I can give up my plans about purchasing V10F and get something else so I can fit studded trials tire CST C-186 and make my daily commutes even on winter.

For example, KS16S seems to have 16 x 2.125 tire. On the manufacturer’s website there is only 3.00-16 and 3.50-16. How do I choose correct tire? How do I know that this specific tire fits to KS16S rim?

CST C-186 manufacturer website:

https://www.csttires.com/int/tire/c186/

8 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Where can I find information about which tire can be fit to specific euc?

There are not many reports on this, just a few MSX knobby replacement reviews. But in general the provided tire size (and smaller) is the only one that will fit without modification.

8 hours ago, Wolverine said:

For example, KS16S seems to have 16 x 2.125 tire. On the manufacturer’s website there is only 3.00-16 and 3.50-16. How do I choose correct tire? How do I know that this specific tire fits to KS16S rim?

You choose the correct tire by choosing a 16x2.125 tire. I slee suggest reading the pinned thread I made about tire sizes. C-186 is not made in other EUC sizes than what fits the MSX. Even then slight modifications are probably required. Try to find my C-186 review for details.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I’m in the same situation. I have a 2016 GIO ebike (scooter type) equip with 16 x 2.5 tires. After doing many search on the internet, I found one tire that could be a good option for the winter season. It’s made by Heidenau, a German tire company I think. 

Here it is:

Offroad Winter Reifen Heidenau K57 M+S Snowtex 3.00-12 47J TT Enduro

Full description:

The K57 Snowtex winter scooter tyre. This tyre guaranties excellent handling on cold, wet surfaces. The quality materials used in a winter tyre are ideal for winter conditions, allowing you to remain mobile all year round. The compound has a high quality silica mix combined with special textile fibres to maximize grip in low temperatures. Heidenau Snowtex scooter tyres are not the cheapest on the market, but riders can depend on the 60 years of experience that go into each tyre. Heidenau has been producing scooter tyres since 2000 and the quality is guaranteed Made in Germany. Since 04.12.2010 M+S tyres (mud and snow) are a requirement in Germany for slushy or snowy conditions. For those who want to ride all year round, these M+S tyres are a must have! Tyres stamped with M+S. In our opinion, this is the best winter tyre for scooters or mopeds that we offer. Heidenau tyres have won us over both on the street and on the track.

Prices for 2 tires is around 200$ to 240$ Canadian dollars, shipping includes (but don’t know for duty fees)

yes, I’m from Quebec, CANADA. 

I expect to install carbide studs manually on both tires. Not more that 7mm thought. 

This is my contribution to this discussion. 

Chrystian 

On 9/25/2022 at 3:28 AM, Chrystian said:

Offroad Winter Reifen Heidenau K57 M+S Snowtex 3.00-12 47J TT Enduro

Note that a 3.00-12 tire, especially the K57 is VERY much bigger than a 16x2.5, so your bike will probably not have enough room for it.

Here is 16x2.5 ChaoYang H-5167 on a 16S vs 3.00-12 Heidenau K57 on an Airwheel A3:

43929211-284C-45E1-8E12-C80D977FA1F8.jpeg.9959f4f8f3271d0872774b62372e4bc1.jpeg

4BCE8EE4-2E4F-4145-90F2-315384F7DF04.jpeg.d2cdff727dc45816b46a8553b6cdf056.jpeg

Edited by mrelwood

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, Milordas said:

hows K57 tire on euc? how good to carve, stability? Maybe would be good alternative to Patton

K57 is too coarse for EUCs. It shakes quite a bit on pavement. I haven’t tried it on an EUC (and I hope I never will), but I can imagine turning to be quite an exhilarating experience…