Jtn260

How do you deal with road rage?

For those that live in dense urban environments such as NYC, how do you deal with road rage?

I live in NYC and have been riding EUCs for over a year. I’m a lot more comfortable handling NYC traffic and pedestrians since I first started, but the city is still a frustrating place to ride through especially evening rush after work.

Every ride I seem to encounter incidents with either pedestrians not paying attention, car doors that swing open, hostility shown by drivers who decide to drive 5 inches from me, cars who don’t signal, cars honking the hell out of you even though you’re keeping speed in traffic, pedestrians popping out between car. The list goes on... 

Do other EUC riders feel paranoia and anger when encountering situations like the above even after riding for a long time? 

Maybe I just need to get over it lol. 

Posted (edited)

You forgot the dangerous spandex biking guys on the bike lanes who never want to stop no matter what 😅. Best is to get over it and ignore. Else you will get mad everyday.... 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

13 hours ago, Jtn260 said:

For those that live in dense urban environments such as NYC, how do you deal with road rage?

I live in NYC and have been riding EUCs for over a year. I’m a lot more comfortable handling NYC traffic and pedestrians since I first started, but the city is still a frustrating place to ride through especially evening rush after work.

Every ride I seem to encounter incidents with either pedestrians not paying attention, car doors that swing open, hostility shown by drivers who decide to drive 5 inches from me, cars who don’t signal, cars honking the hell out of you even though you’re keeping speed in traffic, pedestrians popping out between car. The list goes on... 

Do other EUC riders feel paranoia and anger when encountering situations like the above even after riding for a long time? 

Maybe I just need to get over it lol. 

You are in NYC, no?  I think that is expected no matter what form of transport you use...

Posted (edited)

In Paris (plenty of reasons to get road rage) it helped to not consider the others as people but as random obstacles. That way you don’t have as much thoughts about how much of a *** the person is, it’s more like just avoid and move on. 

Edited by null

11 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Be nice, wave to everyone. 

lol! Don’t do this. I assure you that’s how you become even more depressed about the riding environment. Spending energy being nice to drivers and riders who you’ll never see again is energy better spent elsewhere. 

Do the opposite. Be an asshole. You have to ride like an asshole to survive in the city. You try to be a good little boy or girl and the city will eat you alive and spit you out in a hospital. 

27 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

lol! Don’t do this. I assure you that’s how you become even more depressed about the riding environment. Spending energy being nice to drivers and riders who you’ll never see again is energy better spent elsewhere. 

Do the opposite. Be an asshole. You have to ride like an asshole to survive in the city. You try to be a good little boy or girl and the city will eat you alive and spit you out in a hospital. 

You one of them Hokies?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

You one of them Hokies?

Your environment dictates your riding... habits. In a small town where I know everyone I see I’m sort of courteous and respectable. Don’t run red lights etc. but that’s mainly because I’m one of the only riders. In a big city the rules are out the window lol

Edited by Darrell Wesh

38 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Proud Wahoo, I live in the NYC Suburbs. Are you a Hokie?

Yep

I just think that impersonal forces that I can't see or get angry at can be far more dangerous that people. These impersonal forces could be electronic or mechanical malfunctions, a random pothole, or any other bad luck that could cause me to fall and severely injure or kill me.

I also try to avoid situations that put me in a bad state of mind. For example, try to avoid busy intersections or dense sidewalks. If I can't avoid them, then I make it a challenge to move at the same speed as vehicular traffic, or the pedestrians walking, and treat it as a video game like Mario Kart. 

Also, I just delight in the awesomeness and sheer wondrous experience of being able to lean and accelerate so quickly and to such a fast speed (King Song 16X), as if it's wired to my brain. This "positive" psychology easily takes me out of any road rage. 

I strongly tend towards wearing earplugs or headphones so I don't get spooked by the honks of enraged drivers who do not agree with public roads being used by non-cars.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

Yep

Bless your heart, Hokie!

Same as in my car with the finger

Congratulations, you now know what life has been like for motorcyclists the last couple of decades.

And as for actually dealing with raod rage: let it pass and get out of the way as soon as possible. Some people just have mental issues and they WILL run you the fuck over and kill you, they dont think of the consequences at that moment.

Edited by mhpr262

I call it D.O.C.K.

Dogs

Obstacles

Cars

Kids