V10? Tesla v2? Wait on the suspension wheels?

I'm looking for a first EUC and my budget is around 2k.

I'd like some speed and power to grow into. I weight around 155lbs/70kg. I don't have anybody to ride with in my area that I know of so I probably won't need that much range. I'd be getting this wheel just to have some solo fun cruising roads and some dirt/gravel walking paths.

I’m biased, just like anyone else. But now that the suspension wheels have just reached the first customers, a general consensus on them is not far off. Waiting for a few weeks might be worth it.

So far the first impressions especially on the V11 have been generally very positive. The very first batch had some over tightening of screws, but the manufacturer is on top of the issues, and second batch has started to ship and will reach the customers soon.

The S18 is a bit of an oddball. Being off-road oriented but comes with a slick street tire and doesn’t even fit an 18x3” off-road tire, big wheel with a small battery, comfort issues, annoying carrying handle, wobbles, parts falling off, noisy etc. Most of which can’t be fixed for later batches without a redesign.

I’m confident that the now good and decent all-purpose wheels will drop their label fast once the V11 gets fine tuned for mass scale production.

I have a V11 on the way, and I’m darn glad I chose correctly (for me) early on.

49 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

@mrelwood maybe I should find a cheap second hand beater wheel to learn on in the meantime so I don't ding up a brand new V11

That is one approach, with a few good reasons to back it up. Especially now if you plan to wait anyway. It doesn't necessarily take more than about $300 if you find a good deal.

Hi! There are huge differences between these two devices. For example, the weight of the V11 (60 lbs = 27 kg) is too much for me since sometimes I need to carry it between floors. V10/V10F weight is about 45 lbs = 20 kg, therefore that is more suitable. I recommend that you think about what is important to you (weight, range, power etc.) and choose accordingly.

Edited by Wolverine
I inserted "Hi!"

2 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Hi! There are huge differences between these two devices. For example, the weight of the V11 (60 lbs = 27 kg) is too much for me since sometimes I need to carry it between floors. V10/V10F weight is about 45 lbs = 20 kg, therefore that is more suitable. I recommend that you think about what is important to you (weight, range, power etc.) and choose accordingly.

Oh yeah the V11 probably is too heavy for me I'd say about 50lbs is the max I would want to go since I also need to climb some stairs. The tesla seems pretty good at its weight but I know there are issues with the shell being fragile and the tire is pretty thin for a 30mph wheel. Might go for the KS16X even. There are so many choices.

7 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Oh yeah the V11 probably is too heavy for me I'd say about 50lbs is the max I would want to go since I also need to climb some stairs. The tesla seems pretty good at its weight but I know there are issues with the shell being fragile and the tire is pretty thin for a 30mph wheel. Might go for the KS16X even. There are so many choices.

It's easy to wrap strategic parts of the Tesla with neoprene pads if you're concerned about the shell. Regardless of whatever wheel, I'd do that anyways if I were you. I own the latest Tesla V2 1480ah & I like it. It's reasonably svelte @45lbs or so, has a decent handle to grab one handed & a very good trolley to wheel around. It tops out at 30+mph & will easily cruise at 25mph til 20-30% battery. Acceleration is quick & range is easily 45-50miles (I hear its 75miles if one can survive the catatonic state of cruising at 12mph). Btw I know the FTM is wide tires but the 2.125" tire has its pluses as well (like quicker handling without a mind of its own).

The only con I can absolutely state is its not a good offroader. It'll cruise the smoother tightly packed stuff easily but the tarmac is it's home making it a very fine city commuter. Best of all, one can purchase it for $1130 or so at one of the Ali stores. For the price of a V11, one can own both the Tesla v2 & a Mten3😉

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 1

I personally went with 1/4" one sided adhesive neoprene sheets. It's easily available on Amazon for $12-15. 1/4" makes for a good thickness for protective usage & will also double/triple/quadruple up to make Kuji pads for doing hops & jumps.

I found the ori pads a bit hard so I removed it & made my own with the above neoprene. Works great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

I personally went with 1/4" one sided adhesive neoprene sheets. It's easily available on Amazon for $12-15. 1/4" makes for a good thickness for protective usage & will also double/triple/quadruple up to make Kuji pads for doing hops & jumps.

I found the ori pads a bit hard so I removed it & made my own with the above neoprene. Works great

Thanks! One of the often cited issues with the Tesla is the pads so it's good to know there's a cheap DIY alternative. They seem to hold together fine and don't peel with only the original adhesive? I might think of adding some extra glue between layers.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:24 AM, I_Must_Bust said:

@Scottie888 Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think I might just go for it. What neoprene thickness do you recommend? 

If you're going to make a cover for it (Tesla) then I'd say less then 5mm. Prob 3mm neoprene.

I made a cover from 5mm neoprene and it was a pain to sew together. Also the magnets of the footplates are compromised and they fall open loads more now when trolleying over bumpy ground.

I'd like to make a more fitted 3mm cover but I'm too lazy now.

Edited by rinzler
Typos!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

@wakk0 do you know how much it would be to ship? I ordered a tesla but they're taking forever to ship so if i need to cancel i might be interested. The weight is a bit offputting on the msx for me though

I got used to carrying it up and down 3 floors.  At first it was heavy lol.  For shipping I think around $60/70ish from ewheels label

@I_Must_Bust You should buy that 100v MSX if the price & condition of the unit is right & ofcos if you can still cancel the Tesla order. However do understand that a 100v MSX is one of the fastest wheels on the market & while it isn't the best wheel for a newb to learn, it certainly will more than likely keep you happy for a long time IMO.

Heck I'd be interested if I wasn't so far away in the Great White North but that said, if @wakk0 doesn't sell it locally & if we can work out a deal with shipping to Canada, I'd likely be in.

@wakk0 Didn't check up for a couple of days and the tesla is shipped. It's probably okay for me to start at a smaller wheel like the tesla anyway but I appreciate the offer

@Scottie888 I'm already a bit nervous that the Tesla will be a bit much to handle for a beginner. I think I'll go from that to a 2nd or 3rd gen suspension wheel if I need to upgrade in the future

16 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

@Scottie888 I'm already a bit nervous that the Tesla will be a bit much to handle for a beginner.

Just keep the top speed tilt-back enabled at a reasonable speed and it’ll be like any other wheel.

29 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I'm already a bit nervous that the Tesla will be a bit much to handle for a beginner. I think I'll go from that to a 2nd or 3rd gen suspension wheel if I need to upgrade in the future

In that case, you're gonna love the Tesla V2. At 100% battery, it'll sustain 28mph & still do 24mph til 15-20% battery. Relatively easy to ride (atleast easier than the MSX IMO) & most certainly much easier to wheel around with trolley. Makes for a good last mile commuter as its reasonably compact to stick under than table/desk (although the Mten3 is king of hill for that).

Do be aware though that shipping delays will be a biaatch due to this wuflu crap so be prepared.