60 mile Review Veteran Sherman

Ben Kim

Nice summation. I'll be able to answer the firmware questions as soon as I get my new motor. Let's hope they haven't changed anything in a noticeable way.

I'm envious of your whole 'extra volt' :) Seriously, that will equate to a bit more range.

I agree that it's very easy to ride fast on this wheel without realizing it. Just like the Monster :D

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MrRobot said:

Do you guys have as many ridiculously large speed bumps in NYC? Curious how it handles those with the roll cage clearance. Can you go over them safely without having to slow to a crawl?

We dodge those craters, not go into them, so I wouldn’t know. 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice summation. I'll be able to answer the firmware questions as soon as I get my new motor. Let's hope they haven't changed anything in a noticeable way.

I'm envious of your whole 'extra volt' :) Seriously, that will equate to a bit more range.

I agree that it's very easy to ride fast on this wheel without realizing it. Just like the Monster :D

I’ve noticed this wheel has the annoying z10 phantom power drain problem. unplugged and it’s down to 100.4V. Will probably have to leave the charger plugged in until i’m ready to ride. :)

• Like 1

If it was truly like the Z10, it would probably be 98-volts after a couple of days.

It'll be interesting to know how much it drops after ~3-days of inactivity. I realize it'll probably be awhile before you let a couple days go by without you riding it :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If it was truly like the Z10, it would probably be 98-volts after a couple of days.

It'll be interesting to know how much it drops after ~3-days of inactivity. I realize it'll probably be awhile before you let a couple days go by without you riding it :)

single dad problems sir. It may very well be 3 days before I get to ride it again! Just finished carving out version 2.0 of my seat. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 12:19 AM, Ben Kim said:

power drain problem. unplugged and it’s down to 100.4V

This is super annoying to hear that the wheel has parasitic drain!  This is a disaster as Ive had experience with an expensive e board doing this, as lithium cells are sometimes impossible to recover once they get below a certain voltage. I hope this doesn't mean we have to open the wheel and unplug the battery if we are going away for a month!

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Might've jumped the gun there.  I haven't ridden my wheel for 3 days its still holding 100.7V.  It could be what @Chriull said.  

Yeah, based on what I know about the Veteran control board, I'd be shocked if there is any power drain while the wheel is off. It should be like every other Gotway and KingSong wheel. Inmotion and Ninebot - a different story for sure.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, based on what I know about the Veteran control board, I'd be shocked if there is any power drain while the wheel is off. It should be like every other Gotway and KingSong wheel. Inmotion and Ninebot - a different story for sure.

?  All of my InMotion wheels hold charge absolutely fine. Also I believe the smaller Ninebot One S1/S2 are fine/don't exhibit this problem. It was only the Ninebot Z10 that had a major problem there.

32 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

?  All of my InMotion wheels hold charge absolutely fine. Also I believe the smaller Ninebot One S1/S2 are fine/don't exhibit this problem. It was only the Ninebot Z10 that had a major problem there.

When I had the V11 open for a few days, there are ~1/2 dozen LED's blinking away on the control board. Did you know that you can connect to the V11 bluetooth without "turning on" the wheel? This is a non-trivial amount of power being consumed by the V11. I have no idea what the actual amount is or how it equates to the Z10, but it's certainly more than Gotway or KingSong. Having an always on Bluetooth radio has to consume some power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

When I had the V11 open for a few days, there are ~1/2 dozen LED's blinking away on the control board. Did you know that you can connect to the V11 bluetooth without "turning on" the wheel? This is a non-trivial amount of power being consumed by the V11. I have no idea what the actual amount is or how it equates to the Z10, but it's certainly more than Gotway or KingSong. Having an always on Bluetooth radio has to consume some power.

I haven't received my V11 yet, but on no other InMotion wheel can you connect to the Bluetooth when the wheel is off--it has to be on.

I'd be very curious to hear if anyone with a production V11 can actually do this (connect to their wheel via Bluetooth while it's off), or if it was just some quirk about the pre-production model and/or something as a result of your whole weird firmware situation (new firmware on preproduction board, b0rked update, etc).

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

I haven't received my V11 yet, but on no other InMotion wheel can you connect to the Bluetooth when the wheel is off--it has to be on.

I'd be very curious to hear if anyone with a production V11 can actually do this (connect to their wheel via Bluetooth while it's off), or if it was just some quirk about the pre-production model and/or something as a result of your whole weird firmware situation (new firmware on preproduction board, b0rked update, etc).

Like I said, there's a whole lot of blinking lights going on underneath the hood.

If you long-press the power button (20-seconds to be exact), the board actually turns off - everything goes dark and you can no longer connect to it.

Since it's running the production firmware I don't think it's a quirk of this particular wheel.

Edited by Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When I had the V11 open for a few days, there are ~1/2 dozen LED's blinking away on the control board. Did you know that you can connect to the V11 bluetooth without "turning on" the wheel?

This sounds like the behavior we had with our V10F when it was having issues. I couldn’t turn it on or off and you could connect Bluetooth always and LEDs blinking. When the wheel got fixed, this behavior wasn’t there anymore. It’s definitely not common on Inmotion. Is your V11 still like that? 
That 20 second long-press feature is new also, so the V11 might actually has some kind of stand-by mode. Maybe @Inmotion Global could enlighten us on this?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ben Kim said:

Up to 120 miles now.  I think I finally trust the board enough to crank it a little, it's a completely new feeling riding and passing cars like they're standing still on a 35 mph road.  I've gotten it up to 44 mph personally, but this wheel easily has more in it.  It's not even beeping at that speed!  This is definitely the ultimate long distance fast speed solution. 

I do plan on adding a Gotway EX to my collection, pending the preprod teardowns and lift speed tests. 

Hi Ben - 

I've enjoyed your posts regarding the Sherman.  Tell me, what tire do you have?  The street tire or the knobby hybrid?

Soon I'm going to have to make my choice and I'm vacillating between the two and looking for input.

Cheers - 
Larry

On 8/25/2020 at 10:08 PM, LZMutant said:

Hi Ben - 

I've enjoyed your posts regarding the Sherman.  Tell me, what tire do you have?  The street tire or the knobby hybrid?

Soon I'm going to have to make my choice and I'm vacillating between the two and looking for input.

Cheers - 
Larry

100% the knobby. A little noisy on the street but super stable. I would say it rivals the Monster in terms of stability and 90% of the shock absorbing.

When you have a wheel capable of hitting 50 mph, stability trumps every other factor. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Ben Kim and @Marty Backe

What app are you using to measure battery percentage and voltage? I'm using latest DarknessBot 6.1 (287) through TestFlight.

My brand new Sherman, delivered two days ago on 10/09/2020, is only charging to 98% and 100.2 to 100.3 volts with the OEM 5V charger, according to Darknessbot.

Also, what firmware do you have? Darknessbot reports I have 1053.0.  Is this old firmware? New? Jason from eWheels says this Sherman was loaded out of China only 3-weeks ago, maybe 4-weeks ago now, so I expected it would have updated firmware. And I received mine a good 2-months+ after yours Ben.

Edited by Bridgeboy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

@Ben Kim and @Marty Backe

What app are you using to measure battery percentage and voltage? I'm using latest DarknessBot 6.1 (287) through TestFlight.

My brand new Sherman, delivered two days ago on 10/09/2020, is only charging to 98% and 100.2 to 100.3 volts with the OEM 5V charger, according to Darknessbot.

Also, what firmware do you have? Darknessbot reports I have 1053.0.  Is this old firmware? New? Jason from eWheels says this Sherman was loaded out of China only 3-weeks ago, maybe 4-weeks ago now, so I expected it would have updated firmware. And I received mine a good 2-months+ after yours Ben.

I'm using Darknessbot as well; mine charges to 101.1V, over 100%.  It's a crapshoot, some Shermans charge to 99.6V others charger to 101 like mine.  It's nothing really to be worried about.  My Sherman was literally first batch; you can tell by the LK6 title when viewing Bluetooth connections, firmware is 0.0; the LCD can't even switch over to MPH/miles.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I'm using Darknessbot as well; mine charges to 101.1V, over 100%.  It's a crapshoot, some Shermans charge to 99.6V others charger to 101 like mine.  It's nothing really to be worried about.  My Sherman was literally first batch; you can tell by the LK6 title when viewing Bluetooth connections, firmware is 0.0; the LCD can't even switch over to MPH/miles.  

Mine says LK1158 in Bluetooth connections. Does that tell us anything meaningful? Does that literally mean its the 1,158th manufactured?

I also just ordered the 8V "smart" rapid charger from eWheels. I'm wondering if charging the wheel with that, with its intelligent circuitry might "fix" the batteries to charge to 100%. I guess I'll see...