Gotway Tesla V2 mod

Pingouin

I'm looking at getting this as my first wheel. I keep seeing issues with the padding being a bit uncomfortable and the shell being easy to damage. Do you have any good advice on how to protect it and add better padding? I was looking at some aftermarket pads but I'm not sure what will fit and what won't.

Fantastic review, and I love the technical information you provided regarding the battery subsystem. Very reassuring for fellow owners (like me).

I'm impressed that you got 74-miles with this wheel, but it would be impossible for me to ride at 12mph to achieve that :lol:  For me, it's a solid ~45-mile wheel.

Hey, regarding the headlight. I'm almost positive that it's the same light that's used on the MSP (all the dual-headlight wheels from Gotway). You say that yours is the same as the MSX (older, dimmer light)? I need to test it further. It's definitely brighter than the original Tesla.

:cheers:

• Like 1

@Marty Backe Thanks !

I like riding really slow and enjoying the scenery but I understand that it can be a little slow for some people.

Regarding the headlight, it's a verry narrow beamwidth, I thought it looked like the ones on the MCM5/MSX but I am not sure anymore. Woud you be able to look at the headlight itself and compare it to MSP and to your Tesla ? It could also be because I have a different batch and that my headlight is not the same as yours.

@I_Must_Bust The shell should still be pretty fragile, unfortunately nothing to do about it. You can indeed add some padding around it to protect the EUC, I don't put anything on because I think it destroys the look of the EUC. Regarding the padding, for me it's fine, but maybe you could try MSX/MSP padding on it instead, a little softer ;)

@Planemo On mine it's definitely not the Nikola headlight because the Nikola headlight is wider and doesn't look at all like the one on the TS2.

Edited by Pingouin

I agree with most if not all of what u wrote! Kudos to a very fine review.

The Tesla V2 1480 was my first foray into EUCs & I started riding this spring. Even with no reference points on EUC quirks, I found my TS V2 super  maneuverable at low speeds (for mixing with pedestrians on sidewalks) & fairly fast runs (45kph tops but most round 25-40kph) on reasonably smooth bike lanes. I haven't done much offroad as while I found it decent on smoother lazy fireroad type trails, its not a wheel for the rough stuff.

Being addicted from the 1st ride (at the 1st hello😋), I thought about upgrading to a better wheel. After some thought in defining better, I found that I don't really need a faster wheel per se as my local laws frown on road riding with cars so how much faster can I go on bike lanes. While more range is always better, I can't see myself going more than 80kms/ride. Atleast these caveats hold true for now.

After pondering on power wheels like the Sherman, 100vMSX & even celebrated allrounders like the100v  Nikola+, KS 18xl/16x, I realized that each has it pros & cons. Regardless I was almost on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Sherman (due to all the raves) when epiphany hit. Why have one to maybe do it all when I can have 2 or maybe more do it all & do it well. To make it short, I ended up keeping the Tesla V2 & ordering an Mten3 & an S18 as a one wheeled MTB for the tech trails that I used to enjoy.

To summarize, the Tesla is a great city wheel. It's light enough to carry up stairs, has a great trolley to wheel around, reasonably fast (for non NYC boyz that is), has good range & easy to ride even for rookies. Besides adding diy Kuji pads so I can do bunny hops on curbs & stuff, all I have done is ride.....

PS: @Pingouin  may I ask how the 'ell are u able to ride at 20kph for 120klicks??? I don't doubt the 120km range but I fully admit the process to get there is beyond me.

• Like 2

@Pingouin Just to confirm, is this the same TV2 -1480Wh wheel, that @Marty Backe purchased off of Aliexpress? I ended up taking a risk and buying the one he reviewed as my first wheel and just want to double check. 

Link from their vid description:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4996091?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000002.2.74883a96nUcPq6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpectreNine said:

@Pingouin Just to confirm, is this the same TV2 -1480Wh wheel, that @Marty Backe purchased off of Aliexpress? I ended up taking a risk and buying the one he reviewed as my first wheel and just want to double check. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/4996091?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000002.2.74883a96nUcPq6

It certainly is. @Pingouin is the person that told me about this deal and I then bought it :D

• Like 2

On 8/5/2020 at 8:23 AM, Marty Backe said:

It certainly is. @Pingouin is the person that told me about this deal and I then bought it :D

Link doesn't go direct to the v2 1480, but looking it up in the storeI Itnow says 1500Wh, maybe just rounded up the wattage? :)

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Link doesn't go direct to the v2 1480, but looking it up in the storeI Itnow says 1500Wh, maybe just rounded up the wattage? :)

I heard they switched to a different battery which gave 20 more watt-hours :) 

I'm debating whether I should upgrade :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 12:13 AM, RedSpectreNine said:

Did you get your wheel yet? I'm still waiting on mine to leave china after ordering in the last days of september.

Hi all, I ordered a Tesla V2 1480Wh almost exactly a month ago from the Wheel Riders Store and just got a message from them this morning that it has finally shipped. However, they have confirmed that this is a new update and uses the LG M50T battery which is now 1500Wh instead of 1480. They included these photos:

H60f523b5963c4ec38bb5c5a43c99a96cc.png

Hce9e2cc935c94ff096494a19067d4bebH.png

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these batteries compared to the ones that were shipped with the 1480Wh version. I'm new to EUCs and am looking forward to receiving it but just want to make sure it will be ok with a 5.0A "fast" charger and that these are reliable batteries. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

2 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

@Mantraguy Ah damn I ordered 10 days earlier and got the old version... Would have liked the LG cells instead of the who knows cells.

While perhaps the newest is best, I wouldn't worry about the 1480 version. I've been riding mine very often consistently cruising 20-25mph mostly & still get 45miles/charge with 10-20% showing at the end. Just enjoy it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

While perhaps the newest is best, I wouldn't worry about the 1480 version. I've been riding mine very often consistently cruising 20-25mph mostly & still get 45miles/charge with 10-20% showing at the end. Just enjoy it!

I will when it gets here... I ordered on July 31 and it hasn't left China. Seller Says it should arrive in the US by the end of September and then probably 7-14 days from there. Should have just used eWheels I think!

7 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I will when it gets here... I ordered on July 31 and it hasn't left China. Seller Says it should arrive in the US by the end of September and then probably 7-14 days from there. Should have just used eWheels I think!

Sadly Ewheels only has the 1020ah versions. The extended versions are all Ali store custom mods. This covid thangy has screwed up shipping schedules & everythings been delayed. 

If they haven't shipped it as yet, can't you contact them to change it to the newest version?

Correction: After reading your post more carefully, I'm guessing the seller has shipped it but it hasn't as yet left China. Sucks bud, hope you get it soonest!

Edited by Scottie888

17 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Sadly Ewheels only has the 1020ah versions. The extended versions are all Ali store custom mods. This covid thangy has screwed up shipping schedules & everythings been delayed. 

If they haven't shipped it as yet, can't you contact them to change it to the newest version?

Correction: After reading your post more carefully, I'm guessing the seller has shipped it but it hasn't as yet left China. Sucks bud, hope you get it soonest!

No, they shipped it back on august 10 but it still hasn't left china

would you suggest this wheel for a heavier rider?260lbs right now?trying to get my best which is around 200.
i want to get an euc for start to spice up my life a bit.and this tesla v2 with 1500 battery is a pretty good deal for me for 1000 euros.

9 hours ago, FarkyJ said:

would you suggest this wheel for a heavier rider?260lbs right now?trying to get my best which is around 200.
i want to get an euc for start to spice up my life a bit.and this tesla v2 with 1500 battery is a pretty good deal for me for 1000 euros.

I don't see why not as the 1900w motor should have enough juice for the task. Your acceleration, topend & range might suffer somewhat but that's gonna be the case for any wheel. If it were me, I'd personally go easy on the jumps & other high(er) impact situations to lessen the stress on the axle but otherwise, there should be nothing stopping you.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Scottie888 said:

I don't see why not as the 1900w motor should have enough juice for the task. Your acceleration, topend & range might suffer somewhat but that's gonna be the case for any wheel.

The acceleration is better than Nikola and MSX (quoted above) because its lighter and smaller diameter wheel.

Range, you get what you get with 1500wh which is just under the top end 1800-2200wh models.

5 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

The acceleration is better than Nikola and MSX (quoted above) because its lighter and smaller diameter wheel.

Range, you get what you get with 1500wh which is just under the top end 1800-2200wh models.

Is it faster acceleration then the MSP torque? 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:55 AM, Murdomeek said:

I was more or less referring to the poster's stated weight of 260lbs in which case, all performance metrics will suffer incomparo to a significantly lighter rider. As to whether the Tesla's acceleration is better than the Nikola/MSX, I wouldn't have any idea. I did watch a YT vid where the Tesla is neck to neck with a Nikola atleast in a very short distance comparo.

Personally I don't have any complaints in regards to my Tesla's acceleration but I would like a higher topend cruising speed of 50-55+kph (safely ofcos) for those times where I have an open road all to myself....RS I hear ya calling me🥰.

22 hours ago, Petrus said:

Is it faster acceleration then the MSP torque? 

AFAIK (with the exception of the new RS with a new 2600w motor), there's nothing on the market that accelerates quite like a MSP ht. I think I saw a vid where someone (kuji or perhaps Fantomas I think but I could be wrong) with a 0-60kph <5s! If that ain't quick I'm no longer sure what it.

• Pingouin changed the title to Gotway Tesla V2 mod