Using both legs to mount/dismount

Skecys

Are any people here able to use either leg for mounting/dismounting? Most youtubers I follow seem to use their strong leg exclusively, as do I. But I have had unforeseen situations where I had to dismount quickly using my "weak" leg, obviously struggling. I have since tried learning using said weak leg but have run into lots of aches and muscle soreness/trouble. I find it amusing there can be such a difference between my legs (ankles) even though I don't notice it in daily life.

• Like 1

When I was first learning, I treated being able to mount and dismount with both legs to be basic proficiency. I figured it was something I needed to be able to do to be safe riding. On the MTen3, I did frequently use both legs. When I started riding an MSX, I was only able to mount with my dominant leg at first. And yes, a few days in I ended up in an unbalanced stop and dismounted on the weak/untrained side. I had trouble controlling the wheel and rammed the pedal into my ankle. Took off some skin and had a swollen ankle for a few days.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've fallen into the habit of only using my dominant leg again.  Need to fix that. Thanks for the reminder. :)

• Like 1

It's amazing how much we can discover how un-ambidexterous we are. Sometimes what one hand/arm/leg can do that the other can't. It feels good to eventually correct this inequality in our body. Right now, I am learning to wheel backward on one leg. Not only finding my dominant leg is obviously stronger, I also find muscles that seem not to have existed and that I need to slowly develop them slowly. So far, it has taken several months and my dominant side is slowly gaining control of the wheel, the weak side is slowly catching up too. Using the wheel just for practical purpose like getting from point A to B gets monotonous after awhile. Taking on the challenge to perform tricks does take me up to a higher level uniting with the wheel. In the process, I discover a lot about the capability of my own body, both physical and mental. Keep on wheeling!

• Like 3

I definitely have a dominant foot. My Left foot. I used it for kicking as a child and it is still my favored foot. I am right handed though, so not sure why it is opposite.

3 years EUC and I still prefer my left foot for mounting/balance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, Circuitmage said:

I definitely have a dominant foot. My Left foot. I used it for kicking as a child and it is still my favored foot. I am right handed though, so not sure why it is opposite.

3 years EUC and I still prefer my left foot for mounting/balance.

Same here, trying to learn to better handle the wheel with the right though... 

One of my very favorite things about our EUC hobby, and there are so many, is that it allows me to use the strengths of one side of my body to teach the weaknesses of the other side of my body.  This is true for sure about mounting and dismounting (It just is a grind to have to get the week side anywhere close to the level of the strong side).  There are so many other areas where this is true as well.  Certain leg muscles one one side are stronger on the other.  For me, the back therapy of riding EUC has been one of the greatest benefits. I have strengthened weak parts in my lower back through deliberately letting my strong side make a micro-movement, and then trying to replicate it on the weak side.  It takes some concentration and body awareness and I find it to be well worth the investment. My back issues have improved way more than I ever could have imagined--and I wasn't even expecting that benefit.  

Edited by Treatz

I am dominant right side and I taught myself to mount/dismount with my left leg on the wheel, jumping up with my right foot. I can only ride one footed with my left foot. I think I mostly just use my left foot the entire time with my right just providing enough pressure to help. Now that I've been learning to ride backwards it really highlighted this weakness and I've been trying to correct it. My right leg is just so not used to holding the EUC on its own though.

Edited by Garzal

When I first saw the title of this post I flashed on some of those old western shows and movies where some cowboy jumps off a roof onto the back of his waiting horse.  

It seems that I may have inspired somebody to make a YouTube video.  I hope they don’t get hurt!