My own personal firmware test lab coming!

kenmalecki

I have two 9B1 E+ that I received about a month ago. Love riding them! Unfortunately, I upgraded both to 1.2.7 pretty soon after getting them, so I never was able to feel the difference between 1.2.2 and 1.2.7. And now with the firmware debacle, I'm always wary when I ride.

Yesterday, I decided to order another E+ from Amazon, and it's on it's way. Crazy? Absolutely. But I'm thinking I will keep the new one on 1.2.2, one of the original ones on 1.2.7, and upgrade the other original one to 1.3.0, or whatever latest firmware is available.  Since I'm now past the learning curve riding them, this will let me compare the differences between the firmware levels.

I'll be posting the results in Dec, after I've received the new one and had a chance to put some mileage on it. Stay tuned...

Ken

Nice...I look forward to seeing your results.

I would be curious if you can take a system board from one and put it in another and have it work.  When I got my replacement board from Ninebot, I had to enter in a code to get it unlocked.

Interesting idea.  Does the app let you keep track of all 3 wheels at different firmware versions?  I only own one 9B1.

Also, critically speaking, what is the advantage of knowing the pros and cons of each firmware if you cannot downgrade to previous versions?   Just curious how knowing this information can be useful other than a footnote to the firmware versions.

Cheers,

Jim

1 hour ago, JFP9 said:

Interesting idea.  Does the app let you keep track of all 3 wheels at different firmware versions?  I only own one 9B1.

Also, critically speaking, what is the advantage of knowing the pros and cons of each firmware if you cannot downgrade to previous versions?   Just curious how knowing this information can be useful other than a footnote to the firmware versions.

Cheers,

Jim

I think the benefit is more about knowing if there are any performance benefits from actually updating vs just keeping old.   I would love to believe that I will see a 5 mph increase in speed going to 1.3. Lol 

I have two 9B1 in 1.2.7... One N10 and one N20...

There are very different to ride (I don't talk about the tire and grip of the pedals).

- The assembly construction seems to be largely better on the N10.

- In the N20, I have some accoups when I'm around the 0° angle (like on a used geared wheel).

- The whistle of the motor is "very" different too : it's louder and with a higher frequency on the N20.

- The speed is about 25km/h on the N20, and 21km/h on the N10 (in the same conditions).

- With the same tire pressure, the battery consumption is a bit higher on the N10 (its tire is a bit larger), but not really noticeable.

I think I didn't forget anything.

The acceleration and brake seems to be identical.

Believe me, I am not trying to flame anyone or start a text war, but I am curious about the useable value of knowing that 1.2.2 was faster, or less wonky, or even if it had less stability than 1.2.7, if we really don't have any option to downgrade our firmware.  

Basicially, I don't know how I can realistically use the information if I find out that earlier versions are better than later versions.  And if we find that later versions are better (or worse) we still pretty much already know that from the few and brave who are venturing into the great unknown with 9B1 firmware updates and provided information about the improvements.  (A simple search can tell us if an upgrade Improved or ruined our machine's performance). 

Maybe it is just my mind - I am in business research - so, I am always asking the "so what" questions.  

Now, if we find that 9B1 is looking for proof and support for allowing up- and downgrading of firmware, then I can see building a database of proof for one version over another.  Or, even if 9B1 were allowing a few to offer firmware programming access to empirically test versions, this would be a good exercise. But, without corporate openness, we might as well review past posts for subjective feedback of firmware changes.  Again, I'm just curious, because  am not sure I know how to use this information.

Just my $.02....I will shut-up now.

Cheers,

Jim

55 minutes ago, JFP9 said:

I am in business research - so, I am always asking the "so what" questions

With this in mind you will know that to make informed decisions, you need as many data points as you can get.   Since Ninebot isn't very forthcoming on what is being changed in their firmware updates, it has always been subjective on what someone remembers the previous version was like compared to the current version to try to determine differences.  This will provide direct comparisons, historical reference, and tracking between 3 units.  I think it's great!

Cranium,. Yes but also, to collect data without a hypothesis and objective strategy is not really a scientific process...more subjective than Objective.  (One guys opinion is just fine, if that is the goal).

for the record I also believe it would be nice to collect this info.  But I am still struggling with the 'So What' issues, if 9B1 is not interested in knowing the info. again, how do we use this info if we have no way to downgrade the firmware, only to upgrade, or choose not to upgrade.   I also look forward to the results...

Again, Just my $.02

Cheers,

Jim

It's kinda like saying the worlds flat so why venture out..we only know what we don't know.  I would absolutely love any and all comparisons.   It does not need to be actionable to be helpful because it may help us understand what nb is updating and solving.   NB is giving us zero info on updates but we have a grear community here that will lead the way.  Deadends are passable until you venture down them, a necessary path in research to rule out or in.

Good healthy points regardless and if in US happy thanksgiving!

While I agree that the collected data is not of empirical nature, its still better to know someone that has two devices to compare directly other than one guy on one side of the pond vs. another.

To have someone that updates one device they own, tests it for stability and then compares the updated FW features with the older version (again same guy, same weight etc.) can help others decide if the benefit is worth the "risk" to upgrade.

I dont want to get caught in that situation again (1.2.2) where I updated to a faulty version (1.2.5) and have to read in here before I go riding that I should not even turn on my bot or it could burn through Mosfets. I commute and rely on a working Bot. And getting itchy firmware updates is not something I want at all.

I also dont think its a ongoing historical list of firmwares that were good or bad, the last "good" firmware and its newer versions would be enough until a new "good" version is established.

1 hour ago, ninebot one p said:

I just hope your new Ninebot One come with 1.2.2 I herd some are now coming with 1.2.7.:unsure:

Have had zero issues with 1.27 so don't worry about that one. I think that is currently the proven latest safe one.  Reports on 1.30 are good so far vs the immediate failures with 1.29

well, I am happy to bow to the collective wisdom of the group, and I will be open to understand how knowing 1.2.7 and 1.3 are better than 1.2.2, helps beyond just a footnote on the firmware timeline.  

Of course,  I think we all already know where 1.2.5 and 1.2.9 stand.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived