wait for the Inmotion V11, or go for the KS18XL now?

Hi guys,

sure this is a bit hypothetical, since barely anybody has ever seen a production V11, however, maybe you want to share thoughts:

I currently have a V8. It's my first EUC, I have it since 10 months and I consider it perfect for what it is. My biggest issue is range and a bit more topspeed would also be nice.

I love the V11's looks (I don't care for the Kingsong S18, no idea why) and I was sure I'll buy it as soon as it's available here in Austria.

However, meanwhile I'm not so sure any more: its complexity is a bit offputting (see the disassembly video on YT). I love to tinker and take things apart, but I'm not sure about its longevity. Also I have disassebled my V8 already 3-4 times for changing tires and to clean weed out of the bearings. Takes me just some 5 minutes. The V11 seems to be a totally different dimension.
 I also don't think I need suspension. I do love to go offroad, but, hmmm, still not sure I need this.

The KS18XL seems to be a very mature product. Durable, robust, fast enough, enough range, reasonable price, and available straight away.

Meanwhile the strongest argument for the V11 for me is the higher placed headlight. I think(! not sure however) that this is a big advantage.

What do you think? Will I regret if I buy now? 
Anybody here who wants to switch from an 18XL to the V11?

2 hours ago, reach said:

Anybody here who wants to switch from an 18XL to the V11?

I’m switching from an 18XL to the V11. The pedal height is already good enough on the Kingsong, that’s not a  reason to switch. 18XL is still a very capable, comfortable and reliable wheel. V11 has the suspension. I would wait for a V11 if the price were around the same. Just about everything else is also a bit better as it’s a couple of years newer tech. Downside is potential teething issues and complexity. 

• Like 3

The 18XL appears almost indestructible but the V11 does have a lot to go wrong plus it's the first batch. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket then it's a nice feeling to go with your hearts choice (V11) but you are taking a bit of a risk. I'm surprised that the 18XL isn't available cheaper though, you'd think it would have reduced in price as it gets older. Personally, I'd also consider the 16X as it's a go anywhere wheel with a massive range and it also looks good (obviously depends on price). Realistically though, it's top speed is probably under 30mph.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'm surprised that the 18XL isn't available cheaper though, 

Me too. My local dealer claims that the price is all about the batteries, that's why. That's also why 18S and V11 are not much more expensive than the ones without suspension, because the chassis' price is negligible. 
No idea if he's right, but it sounds reasonable.

V11, unless there aren't many potholes in Australia. V8 was my first wheel. Loved it. Have had since an MSuper V3 S+, 18L and 16x (my favourite). Have ordered the V11 from Ewheels (without telling my wife ouch) because I live in Montreal and it's full of potholes. I don't know why but I do trust Inmotion to come up with a solid first batch, since they kind of were behind Gotway and Kingsong all these years.They can't afford to mess it up! Let's hope I'm right.

Having an IP55 rating is a definite sell for me, you never know when you get caught in the rain and it's nice to feel your wheel was designed with that situation in mind (I remember riding my V8 during a big downpour with no issues at all). EVX's positive reaction to the custom-made 2200W motor is also a sell for me, as he's generally very critical of the power and reactivity of EUCs. He says it's "dead close" to the torque and speed of the 16x, which is the most fun wheel I've had, and so practical with it's trolley and badass looks :) . Kickstand, range, powerful headlights, and of course suspension make it a perfect wheel in my head. Let's see... Good luck with your dilemma but you do need to take some risks in life :)

Edited by Spinner

On 7/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, Spinner said:

V11, unless there aren't many potholes in Australia. 

Austria! It's AUSTRIA!
;-) but thanks for your thoughts. I have similar ones.
Did you understand the turn in EVX's video? He describes at length, why and how the V11 is so great, but then turns away saying it bores him, without any explanation at all. I mean, he said it's both, a luxury sedan AND a BMW M3 - that's the best compliment one can make. How can this be boring? Maybe my english is not good enough, to understand what's between the lines? He mentions the S18 "is built around suspension" and considers, if this was a bad move - even that sounds to me like the V11 is better. Very strange end for me. Not that I care too much, but I just don' tget it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reach said:

Did you understand the turn in EVX's video? He describes at length, why and how the V11 is so great, but then turns away saying it bores him, without any explanation at all.

My guess, there are riders (especially in NYC) who get irked already from the thought of a top speed limit. To them just knowing that it’s there is repulsive, let alone having to limit one’s riding experience because of it.

That’s about the only explanation I can think of.

• Like 3

I don't think my input will help you much. I understand the dilemma of picking a wheel. 

In general old model do not drop in price much. It only happen if a reseller has stock they want to clear out.

Now I have the KS18L and the KS16X and ordered the V11.

The reason I jumped at the V11 are my knees and I think the ride comfort will be much better ontop of any small things that makes the V11 ideal to how I use my EUCs. 

Lights, trolley handle, stand, pedal height and of course the suspension. 

So to pick right now I think comes down to how proven you want the wheel to be and how soon you must have it vs availability. 

If you are not looking at top speed I would maybe look at the KS16X now. It is beginning to be a mature design. The sensation of the ride and low speed control is great. 

As for the V11 there will be a few small things where you would go, why did they do things on the V11 but Inmotion has already reacted to most of these. Right now the only real question is the tire change. How much you need to take apart to gain access to the motor. It has been raised and I think they will change this but we shall see.and then there is the question if you need control.padding or jump pads. We are still waiting for suggested function on the V11 design. 

Now I bought the V11 but have not ridden it yet. But on paper I think the V11 is a more complete utility wheel. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

My guess, there are riders (especially in NYC) who get irked already from the thought of a top speed limit. To them just knowing that it’s there is repulsive, let alone having to limit one’s riding experience because of it.

That’s about the only explanation I can think of.

I don't understand. The V11 is (marginally) faster than the S18. Plus, every wheel has a speed limit.(?)

For some people 50km/h wheels are boring, which is basically all of them except Gotway.

As for the 18XL I like mine a lot (got two) it’s a comfortable balanced wheel, but if I had to choose between the two I’d probably go with the V11 for the motor and supposed comfort. (At the price of size and weight)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reach said:

I don't understand. The V11 is (marginally) faster than the S18. Plus, every wheel has a speed limit.(?)

KS has the top speed limit, but you can unlock after specific miles ridden.

All along the V11 has looked, to me, like a better 18XL.  Similar size and weight, but the 3" tire, custom motor, slight increase in speed, amazing lights, and the suspension.

It appears (via reviews) that the 18XL will have better range.  18XL is a legit 50 mile wheel between charges unless you ride it at 29mph the whole time - even then it still goes over 40 miles.  And like you said, it is a proven wheel.  I love my 18XL, and every time I get on it, just a comfortable, reliable feeling.  18XL is also an amazing chore runner and grocery getter.  The simplicity of trolly-ing it around is just great design.

So what to choose?  I'd probably still go with the V11 for the slight increase in speed and those lights - but there is something to be said for getting a wheel now as opposed to some point in the future.

I've ridden both, and even with my longstanding love of the 18XL, I have to say V11 all the way. Just so much smoother/more comfortable even on the street, better torque, far better lights, etc.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 6:17 AM, Unicycle Freedom said:

KS has the top speed limit, but you can unlock after specific miles ridden.

You can unlock the “beginner” speed to get to the wheel’s max speed 50km/h. But t he top speed limit can’t be removed on any other wheel than GotWay (and maybe Veteran Sherman?).

23 hours ago, Seba said:
  1. He used to ride XL and this behaviour of V11 caused him to return home several kilometers by foot. I think it's something you can get used to with time

No need, the “reserve tank” will be supported by an app update, after which you can engage the “go home” mode that only allows peaceful riding and low speeds.

• Like 3

How does that work "no topspeed" at Gotway? What happens if you keep leaning forward? You just fall off? I can't imagine how anybody would like that!?! 

5 minutes ago, reach said:

How does that work "no topspeed" at Gotway? What happens if you keep leaning forward? You just fall off? I can't imagine how anybody would like that!?! 

Yep, thats how they get up to 70+ kmh, by turning off the tiltback (it requires energy margin) and relying on the beeps or app.
That way you can ride to the very limit of the wheels capacity (and beyond).

Edited by null
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, reach said:

You're not wrong, and yes it is absolutely as stupid as you think it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, reach said:

you fall off and crack your skull on the pavement... oh they do, they love it

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 5:40 PM, reach said:

Austria! It's AUSTRIA!
;-) but thanks for your thoughts. I have similar ones.
Did you understand the turn in EVX's video? He describes at length, why and how the V11 is so great, but then turns away saying it bores him, without any explanation at all. I mean, he said it's both, a luxury sedan AND a BMW M3 - that's the best compliment one can make. How can this be boring? Maybe my english is not good enough, to understand what's between the lines? He mentions the S18 "is built around suspension" and considers, if this was a bad move - even that sounds to me like the V11 is better. Very strange end for me. Not that I care too much, but I just don' tget it.

Lol Entschuldigung ich hatte dich nicht gut gelesen. Das ist wie ich Deutsch spreche lol es tut mir leid für meine Fehler!

Edited by Spinner