Knobby tire on KS18L / KS18XL - will it fit?

reach

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The tire that @UniVehje had on his 18XL was an universal “Minicross 2.50-14” tire. Any tire that comes up with that search phrase should be essentially the same.

I LOVE my 18L, but it does lack a little footing in wet grass and off road. I ride 99% street however. DO you (or anyone) know what this knobby does on the street at tiltback speeds in turns? I'm assuming it's a little dicey on the sides of the tread? Here's me just hoping for the impossible: a knobby tread for offroad with very capable traction on pavement at speeds. Curious if you guys lost any range or developed any vibrations at speed with an off road tread? Looks like a great choice of tire to me!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

15 hours ago, Mufnman said:

I am finally going to purchase one of the 2.50x14 knobby tires. Do you have any problems going 30mph with such a small rim? Did you purchase a 14 ks rim or aftermarket rim?

uhhh.. you cant just swap any rim with any motor lol.... and you cant put the motor from one euc in another... you can replace an 18xl rim with an 18xl rim and thats it https://www.ewheels.com/product/18xl-2200w-motor-rim/

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

DO you (or anyone) know what this knobby does on the street at tiltback speeds in turns?

All knobbies tilt much more than any of the regular EUC tires. Therefore you can’t carve tightly with a knobbie, as the wheel simply doesn’t turn as tightly. This is the only major downside of any knobbie, and whether you’ll be fine with it depends on you and the specific tire pattern. Traction is not an issue.

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Curious if you guys lost any range or developed any vibrations at speed with an off road tread?

I’d expect about 10% less range.

A knobbie this coarse will vibrate on pavement enough for you to feel it. The amount of vibration will change with speed, and there is usually a hot spot where it rumbles the most, and a speed or speeds where you don’t even feel it.

If you want a tire that rides like a regular EUC tire but has better grip, you’ll need to find a tread pattern that is somewhere in between. Like the Duro HF-315 below (2.75-14 size only), which I think should be just that. Still haven’t found a seller though.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwi

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, UniVehje said:

I tested a tire that measured 2.75” and it fits but only barely. I used a bit of sand paper to stop it from rubbing. Pictured at the top here. You can see a clear difference to the standard tires at the bottom  

9A537881-CB67-419A-BCAF-8AC6356184BD.thumb.jpeg.138871dfaa488fdac4840fd4c899d5a2.jpeg
959AF89C-F1BE-4030-BF1E-93F6680EAA8C.thumb.jpeg.5d74cb69d2f0e43f3728ebd87624210b.jpeg

Do you have a link to that 2.75" tire? I have an 18XL that I'd like to put it on. Thanks

17 minutes ago, ICEMAN said:

Do you have a link to that 2.75" tire? I have an 18XL that I'd like to put it on. Thanks

The tire in @UniVehje’s photos is a Vee Rubber, which wasn’t at all a suitable fit. The inner diameter was too large, so it didn’t stay on the rim.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 2:35 AM, UniVehje said:

I tested a tire that measured 2.75” and it fits but only barely. I used a bit of sand paper to stop it from rubbing. Pictured at the top here. You can see a clear difference to the standard tires at the bottom  

9A537881-CB67-419A-BCAF-8AC6356184BD.thumb.jpeg.138871dfaa488fdac4840fd4c899d5a2.jpeg
959AF89C-F1BE-4030-BF1E-93F6680EAA8C.thumb.jpeg.5d74cb69d2f0e43f3728ebd87624210b.jpeg

UniVehje how can I find the last 2  that you have tires 

On 7/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, UniVehje said:

I have used a knobby tire on my 18XL. This one fits and works very well. It’s a bit strange at first but once you get used to it, it behaves nicely. I’m away from home and don’t remember the model number. Maybe @mrelwood can tell you what this model is as I bought it from him. 
6950AC4F-C59D-4A56-8428-62EDE1BFB838.thumb.jpeg.4479bd427ea59a3f8cc7fe547867c448.jpeg

Did you bought it at Ebay? Cause I want to get one too, looks good.

Did you bought it at Ebay?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WYDZER77 said:

UniVehje how can I find the last 2  that you have tires 

The bottom two tires in the photo are:

ChaoYang H-5102, a very common EUC tire. Widely available in all EUC tire sizes.

CST C-1488, another common EUC tire. Available in most EUC tire sizes.

Ebay, Aliexpress, EUC shops, e-bike shops...

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, Amarucide said:

can I ask how a 2.5x14 tire fits a KS18XL? I just bought one of these wheels used and am looking for a replacement as the tire is worn with 1800km on it

I know this may seem insignificant, but if you are shopping for EUC tires, you need to be extra careful with small things like this or you can easily end up buying a completely wrong size.

If the tire width is written first, there should be a dash before the inner diameter, not “x”. Bicycle tires are written outer diameter first, then width, separated by an “x”.

For example: 18XL comes with a 18x2.5 (bicycle) tire, but a 2.5-14 (motorcycle) tire may fit.

If a shop is selling a size 14-2.5 or 2.5x18, you can’t be sure if it’s a bicycle tire with outer diameter (way too small), or a motorcycle tire with inner diameter (way too big).

Just guess how I learned all this…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I know this may seem insignificant, but if you are shopping for EUC tires, you need to be extra careful with small things like this or you can easily end up buying a completely wrong size.

If the tire width is written first, there should be a dash before the inner diameter, not “x”. Bicycle tires are written outer diameter first, then width, separated by an “x”.

For example: 18XL comes with a 18x2.5 (bicycle) tire, but a 2.5-14 (motorcycle) tire may fit.

If a shop is selling a size 14-2.5 or 2.5x18, you can’t be sure if it’s a bicycle tire with outer diameter (way too small), or a motorcycle tire with inner diameter (way too big).

Just guess how I learned all this…

I have an educated guess lol 

any recommendation for a high end street tire? I don't think I need knobby as I'm commuting and not really using the wheel on trails

24 minutes ago, Amarucide said:

I have an educated guess lol 

any recommendation for a high end street tire? I don't think I need knobby as I'm commuting and not really using the wheel on trails

To my mind, the best chance of a highly rated street tire fitting the 18L/XL would be the Michelin Pilot Street 2, 70/90 14. (80/80 14 very likely too wide) I would be completely okay with filing and/or sanding to make this tire work.

Screenshot_2021-08-19-23-52-11.png

7 minutes ago, BecauseFun said:

To my mind, the best chance of a highly rated street tire fitting the 18L/XL would be the Michelin Pilot Street 2, 70/90 14. (80/80 14 very likely too wide) I would be completely okay with filing and/or sanding to make this tire work.

Screenshot_2021-08-19-23-52-11.png

have you tried this? or confirmed that it fits?

this is by far the best looking option for me, problem is it's out of stock

1 hour ago, Amarucide said:

have you tried this? or confirmed that it fits?

this is by far the best looking option for me, problem is it's out of stock

I don't have the wheel yet, much less the tire. But I'm hoping the two will make a good match whenever I can get them together, unless someone proves otherwise first.