eWheels V10 5 amp fast charger and the new V11

M640x

33 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Fantastic, ordered. (I'll have it before I have my V11, heh.)

That wording is super interesting. I'm assuming you connected both pins on both adapters, which makes it work either/any way and which would be really smart in the present context. Although I guess one might have to worry about using it with some hypothetical future wheel where those pins should very much not be connected.

You are correct. The pins are connected on both ends. I should add a label to future adapters.  If InMotion  ended up using pin 2 + pin 3 -  on the same connector they would cause lots of trouble for themselves. You could damage an InMotion wheel with an InMotion Charger.  

Don't Use with RockWheel! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@RockyTopI have the fast charger with Lenovo connector for 16X and getting V11 soon. Do you plan to make Lenovo -> XLR adapter cable for V11 so that I can use the same charger for both wheels? What's the exact part number for this XLR connector? I've ordered Lenovo square connector and plan to solder the adapter myself, looking for the XLR part now. But if you plan to make such an adapter, I might order from you to save time. Already got your black crown stand for 16X, works great, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetSerge said:

@RockyTopI have the fast charger with Lenovo connector for 16X and getting V11 soon. Do you plan to make Lenovo -> XLR adapter cable for V11 so that I can use the same charger for both wheels? What's the exact part number for this XLR connector? I've ordered Lenovo square connector and plan to solder the adapter myself, looking for the XLR part now. But if you plan to make such an adapter, I might order from you to save time. Already got your black crown stand for 16X, works great, thanks!

Thanks, 

I ordered connectors that will fit the common wheels. The Levono Connectors are the problem. I bought short Levono extension cords thinking that I would cut them up and add new ends on one side. I could not find covers for the back of the Lenovo connectors and buying something already half made up would have helped. Unfortunately the wires were not heavy enough. They would work with a 2.5 amp charger but not 5+ amps. I am going to start over and order just the connectors this time. I still need to find a cover for the back. Have you found one? I didn’t really want to print one. I don’t want the liability mixing electrical connectors and 3D printing. If I had to I would use a small project box. 

The V11 connectors can be found on eBay as Aviation Connector 12mm 3 pin. ( GX 12 -3 )

Don’t get sidetracked accidentally buy the 16mm version. Most of the 12mm are metal and the 16mm are plastic. ( even though the 12mm one that comes with the wheel is plastic) 

@RockyTopThanks for the details. Exactly my thoughts regarding the lenovo connector. I will need to solder the thicker wires, shrink wrap them properly, or probably use liquid electrical tape and epoxy the whole assembly. Ordered GX12-3 connector as well.

The Lenovo connector I've got looks like this, but getting the plain connector without the wires would be even better for this kind of adapter:

nkhxf7H.png

@JetSerge In your situation, you could just cut the last 6 inches of the fast charger cord off. Use the 6 inch piece as an adapter. You can get a male and female 12mm 3 pin with both Male and female covers. Turn your charger into a V11 charter and use the female 3 pin to turn the 6 inch piece that you cut off as the adapter. 

• Like 1

@RockyTopGreat idea, that would be the best option, as it's likely that V11 will become my main wheel and I will sell 16X soon. Ordered the covered GX12-3P connector set with both male/female parts to solder it directly to the charger and make an adapter for 16X instead from the cut piece with the Lenovo connector:

Spoiler

61LKvCKjY-L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StuartL said:

Am I correct in saying that the V11 has two charging ports to allow dual adapters?  If so (and I'm not going insane) I could use the new V11 charger and an adapted V10 charger to fast charge my V11?

I have similar questions: Can I use my V11 charger plus my V8 charger with an adapter?

or... can I use my V11 charger plus a fast charger from eWheels (with an adapter)? Further: if I have the V11 2.5amp charger on one port, can i put a fast charger 5A on the second port? Need clarification: how many amps is too much?

Edited by Tryptych

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, Tryptych said:

I have similar questions: Can I use my V11 charger plus my V8 charger with an adapter?

or... can I use my V11 charger plus a fast charger from eWheels (with an adapter)? Further: if I have the V11 2.5amp charger on one port, can i put a fast charger 5A on the second port? Need clarification: how many amps is too much?

You could technically use a fast and slow charger at the same time. The real question is, will the V11 handle 7.5 amps? @Seba says NO! 6amp Max. I would listen to Seba. You might get away with it but it is just not worth the risks. Notice how I said risks and not risk? There are several. 

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I thought it was 5amps max, per Liam @ InMotion who said 2 x 2.5amp - how did we get to 6 amps?

The connectors are 5 amp max per the manufacturer of the connectors. So 5 amps per connector. The wires and batteries of the V11 have a 6 amp limit per Seba. I don't know how he got that.  He is one of two people That I would trust on the numbers. We got down to 6 amps. Others were pushing higher. 5 amp max might be a better rule. 

Edited by RockyTop

On 8/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, RockyTop said:

Done!  Adapter to convert a V10 or V11 Charger into a charger that can charge either the V10 or V11  Click Here eBay

I mistakenly thought this would work with a V8 charger too but now I am learning it wont (the V8 from Solowheel has 4 wires/ports). You should include another pic on your ebay showing the # ports.

Anyone know where I can get a "4 wire" adapter so I can use my V8 SoloWheel charger as a 2nd charger for the V11?

Edited by Tryptych

4 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I mistakenly thought this would work with a V8 charger too but now I am learning it wont (the V8 from Solowheel has 4 wires/ports). You should include another pic on your ebay showing the # ports.

Anyone know where I can get a "4 wire" adapter so I can use my V8 SoloWheel charger as a 2nd charger for the V11?

I updated the listing to say that it is 3 pin to 3 pin. Everything that I have said that the V8 was 3 pin. I did find that solo wheel is 4 pin. If I had a pin out on the 4 pin solo wheel I could make a new adapter. If you purchased the adapter and it did not work for you PM me your user name on ebay and I will refund you. I have also heard that a few V11s now have 4 pins.

The back of the charger should show a picture of the pinout. I have looked online for an hour and could not find a four pin charger. I know they exist. I just could not find a picture or pinout. 

Edited by RockyTop

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

Inmotion probably doesn't want their customers using the 2.5amp charger with their older wheels, and potentially causing battery fires. Just a guess. Better to be safe than sorry.

Oh, hmm- I didn't think of that.  If true, that's a decision I would respect, but can't a V8 and V10 easily and safely be charged at 2.5 amps?  eWheels sells a 3A fast charger for the V8, and a 5A fast charger for the V10.

**EDIT**

Plus, since the wheels has two charging ports it would have been nice for existing customers to be able to use an older charger to boost the charge speed without having to lay out extra $

Edited by Mike Dobbs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Dobbs said:

Plus, since the wheels has two charging ports it would have been nice for existing customers to be able to use an older charger to boost the charge speed without having to lay out extra $

Inmotion could’ve wired the V11 to receive both chargers. Maybe they just didn’t think of that.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

My V11 fell over while charging (opened a door on it) and as it fell backwards, it broke the connector on the end of the charger.  Male Pins on V11 still fine :thumbup:.

Based on RockyTop's suggestion, I bought a Aviation Connector 12mm 3 pin? Any suggestions / recommendations /instructions on how to connect it (no luck with google/youtube) - I've cut the cord already between the charger and the Connector as I tried another 3 Pin connector by connecting the wires without any luck.

Really don't want to fork out $100 for a new charger while just the connector is broken. 

Appreciated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FrankW said:

Any suggestions / recommendations /instructions on how to connect it

If you still have the original charger, look at the info plate on the charger. The connector pinout is displayed there.

• Like 1

Thanks mrelwood for the advice - I could see the pin layout on the charger.  I soldered the connector to the wires (in what I thought was the right configuration), connected - to the V11 and then sparks and smoke. Luckily the V11 still works but not sure about the charging port.

Anyway - anyone got any advice on how I can test that I've correctly connected the charging wires before connecting to the EUC?

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, Seba said:

To be more specific: LG states that in temperature range of 0 to 25° C max charging current is 1.45 A per cell. This means ~6 A per entire battery. But between 25 and 45° C max charging current is 3.4 A per cell, what means 13.6 A per entire battery. In my opinion 6 A is a safe charging current for entire temperature range (from 0 to 45° C) and personally I've used 7 A without any issues when I was on my three day, long-distance V11 test (ambient temperature above 25° C). I did it on my own responsibility to speed up charging and do not recommend it to others.

We must not forget that the maximum charging current is limited by the weakest element of entire battery circuit. This can be the BMS, wires or the motherboard. So while the cells themselves at temperatures above 25° C may allow charging over 13 A, this current can damage the BMS or the motherboard.

The BMS, wires and motherboard all handle over 20 amps regularly even on V10. I don’t see why this would be different while charging.

12 hours ago, visionarek said:

The BMS, wires and motherboard all handle over 20 amps regularly even on V10. I don’t see why this would be different while charging.

Plus the input protection curcuitry and the overvoltage cut off mosfet(s) could be a bit overwhelmed by these burdens.

Don't know if these components are plastic wrapped with the batteries, as usually done at "older style" eucs or they are already at least on the motherboard in "free air"?

• Like 1