What's wrong with this tire????? (bulge)

Llorx

So I got this new KS16X and after 80km or so I got this.

Wth is that? Do my wheel got a disease or what????? Joking apart, seems to me that the inner tube is losing air, but makes no sense to me to make such bump. Asking just in case I start to dissasemble it (A pain in the ass, I know...) and find that the problem is from the tire or whatever else, not the inner tube.

photo_2020-07-17_15-58-08.jpg

Edited by Llorx

I've gone offroad, but not hitting big rocks/bumps (at least noticeable ones) and limited to 25km/h.

Today I've set the limit to 40km/h, went for a ride on paved road (5 km or so), came home to increase the PSI, and saw that. Kinda weird as I've not pushed it hard.

EDIT: Damn, I feel so bad now if I need to replace the tire. Is new :-(

Edited by Llorx

The bulge is at the valve so likely just need a new inner tube. Pics online show the valve has another patch like rubber over lapping to seal it onto the tube. This patch is likely failing and air is making it bulge up. I would order a new tube since its good to have a back up anyways. Take the tube out and test it w air to see if it bulges from that spot by the valve. Replace if it does. 

Then research maybe ways to reseal the original malfunctioning tube. I see some videos online.  Heat, cement, pressure.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

The bulge is at the valve so likely just need a new inner tube. Pics online show the valve has another patch like rubber over lapping to seal it onto the tube. This patch is likely failing and air is making it bulge up. I would order a new tube since its good to have a back up anyways. Take the tube out and test it w air to see if it bulges from that spot by the valve. Replace if it does. 

Then research maybe ways to reseal the original malfunctioning tube. I see some videos online.  Heat, cement, pressure.

Nice. What I wanted to hear xD I was scared about the tire.

Going to empty it to not stress more the tire and wait for the tube and tools. Damn, I wanted t start trying 40 km/h this weekend. What a pity :-(

At least I get the tools tomorrow and I can start investigating the tube. Bless Amazon haha.

EDIT: Ooooookay... The tire is a bit deformed and even worn-out. Not a big deal I guess but I'm hating this so much xD

photo_2020-07-17_21-35-45.jpg

Edited by Llorx

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The tyre is finished. Nothing to do with the tube.

What, really?????? :cry2::crying:

I'm looking for 16x3 tubeless tires, but it seems that will last a bit until I get to one. Will need to import one for sure, and that will be long. I hoped to change the tube and roll with it meanwhile...

25 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The tyre is finished. Nothing to do with the tube.

Yep, the integrity of the tire is lost. Your bead wont sit flush and it will ride like shit. Just snag another tire and 2-3 tubes in one shot, call it done and done. No amount of wishful thinking is going to solve this one... Fwiw, a tire won't bulge at the sidewall, under typical tube pressures. You see a bulge, the tire has damaged cording and is done deal.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llorx said:

Well... fine, I'm (f) ducked then :)

If the tube holds air, but you are going to replace it and the tire anyhow: you can try to ride it at low speeds and pressures. Be mindful of your rim and safety, but it aint like you're going to ruin and already ruined tire. Hell, maybe itll roll with a bobble and youll become an expert. When a smooth tire arrives, youll be pulling some x-games shit. Sorry about your bad luck, but of all the things, tires and tubes are on the easier and cheaper list.

• Like 2

@ShanesPlanet yeah, at least is only the tire and the machine is working as expected. I had a offroad plan of about 50 km for this weekend but I'm going to pass. Don't think that I'm going to have a hard fall if something fails, as I'm not speeding when I'm offroad, but I don't want to have a problem at km 25 and have to walk another 25 km by foot, or to make someone to reach me hahaha.

Well, Netflix weekend I guess xD Maybe I ride a bit around the neighborhood and, as you say, I get used to wobbles (had a lot of wobbles today, and thought that they were because is the first time I got over 25 kmh, but maybe the problem was a bad tire, or both things mixed).

Its pretty easy to spot when it the tire. My wobbles tend to be at a MUCH slower rate than the speed the rim is turning. Of course, when the wobbles get to being so fast you can mistake it for a tire, its a moot point. Just be prepared for it is all. If we wanted to be all cozy and safe, we wouldnt own these, now would we? B)

• Like 1

UPDATE: Yep, the problem is not the tube. Got it off (I've broken a led stripe, oh gosh... now I have to fix it), inflated the tube alone and don't has any bulge. Looks perfect. Is just the tire that is worn-out on the side that touches the rim. It just displaces and forms the bulge: https://femto.pw/sia7.mp4

I'm not able to displace it more because is really hard, but it was displaced about 5mm before I've put it back to its position. I guess that when riding is easier for it alone to displace.

I can only offer my condolences. The first "S**t something's wrong, I don't want to repair this, nyah" experience is never a happy one, neither is having a non-working, semi-disassembled wheel lying around. And you have this really early.

At least you'll be confident in your disassembly skills from now on, and future tire changes and disassembly are no longer daunting, just routine work:)

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, Llorx said:

UPDATE: Yep, the problem is not the tube. Got it off (I've broken a led stripe, oh gosh... now I have to fix it), inflated the tube alone and don't has any bulge. Looks perfect. Is just the tire that is worn-out on the side that touches the rim. It just displaces and forms the bulge: https://femto.pw/sia7.mp4

I'm not able to displace it more because is really hard, but it was displaced about 5mm before I've put it back to its position. I guess that when riding is easier for it alone to displace.

If You dont want to wait for China, there are a few in Europe, for example https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/kingsong-parts

Tyre https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/kingsong-parts/products/kingsong-ks16x-tire

I was really lucky to find a local internet private person site that actually held a tube for my GW Tesla (finished everywhere in Europe, 3 tubes in transit from China) but for sure paid a 300% premium, but 1 month of no rolling due to China delivery, is worth it every day in the week :)

Also look in Your local "hardware store" that has bicycle tyres, I found a knobby one that was a Kenda (though branded Kyoba) and it was half the price of Ali express :D Google is the bomb

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2

Also be aware that You must not inflate the tube to stated pressure without the tyre (preventing tube bulge). That will destroy the tube (mostly).
But if I were You I would order a tube (min 1) and a tyre of course. You will need it in time :)

Maybe the tyre could be replaced on warranty? (no clue, a suggestion) but still it takes time, so I would count that as a "free spare"

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 9:30 PM, Llorx said:

Nice. What I wanted to hear xD I was scared about the tire.

Going to empty it to not stress more the tire and wait for the tube and tools. Damn, I wanted t start trying 40 km/h this weekend. What a pity :-(

At least I get the tools tomorrow and I can start investigating the tube. Bless Amazon haha.

EDIT: Ooooookay... The tire is a bit deformed and even worn-out. Not a big deal I guess but I'm hating this so much xD

photo_2020-07-17_21-35-45.jpg

Looks like a pinched tube (hard to tell from image, but looks lie worn tube edge just below valve, but maybe its the tyre edge). Unless tube pressure ever dropped to zero and You rolled it at zero, its a fault at assembly. If You had no issues with flats and it just happened, its a bad tube and or bad tyre.
Check warranty....could have ended up real bad...not just monetary. At 80Km You should be rolling like new  unless You hit a kerb or something at high speed but then You would also see rim dents! As a comparison my first CST lasted 3000Km before flat (no pattern) on a Tesla :)

Edited by Boogieman

The tire bead is damaged and cannot be repaired. The fix is replacing the tire.

Also,  ShanesPlanet's advice is solid, get a few tubes along with the replacement tire to prevent future downtime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boogieman said:

If You dont want to wait for China, there are a few in Europe, for example https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/kingsong-parts

Tyre https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/kingsong-parts/products/kingsong-ks16x-tire

I was really lucky to find a local internet private person site that actually held a tube for my GW Tesla (finished everywhere in Europe, 3 tubes in transit from China) but for sure paid a 300% premium, but 1 month of no rolling due to China delivery, is worth it every day in the week :)

Also look in Your local "hardware store" that has bicycle tyres, I found a knobby one that was a Kenda (though branded Kyoba) and it was half the price of Ali express :D Google is the bomb

Yes, I have a store in my country with 16x tires, so 24-48h delivery, but wanted to try a different one. I found a bicycle tire but the only review I've read about bicycle tires on EUCs is not that good. They are pretty soft and have some weird feelings. Finally I bought a CYT H-666, which has nice offroad reviews, although is not knobby.

Also be aware that You must not inflate the tube to stated pressure without the tyre (preventing tube bulge). That will destroy the tube (mostly).
But if I were You I would order a tube (min 1) and a tyre of course. You will need it in time :)

Maybe the tyre could be replaced on warranty? (no clue, a suggestion) but still it takes time, so I would count that as a "free spare"

Yep, I was doing so and noticed that it got huge before reaching 3 PSI so I stopped hahaha. The warranty is a problem as is a product directly from China, and no warranty there. I can try to fight but... I just want to try a different tire xD btw the "free spare" thingy is good. Going to try.

Looks like a pinched tube (hard to tell from image, but looks lie worn tube edge just below valve, but maybe its the tyre edge). Unless tube pressure ever dropped to zero and You rolled it at zero, its a fault at assembly. If You had no issues with flats and it just happened, its a bad tube and or bad tyre.
Check warranty....could have ended up real bad...not just monetary. At 80Km You should be rolling like new  unless You hit a kerb or something at high speed but then You would also see rim dents! As a comparison my first CST lasted 3000Km before flat (no pattern) on a Tesla :)

I dissasembled it and the tube is perfecttly round with no air loss. May be a low pressure thing, as I was fiddling with low pressures for offroad riding, although always within the tire recomendation so is a tire fault for sure. The weird thing is that the problem was just at the valve side. Maybe is just a coincidence, but... well, kinda weird. Or maybe the person that mounted the tube damaged the tire a bit with the valve and it got worse over time. Yep, this makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, gon2fast said:

The tire bead is damaged and cannot be repaired. The fix is replacing the tire.

Also,  ShanesPlanet's advice is solid, get a few tubes along with the replacement tire to prevent future downtime.

Yep. That's for sure. And maybe I also slime it. Have read nice reviews about flat prevention and slime.

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 1