Idle Noises V8F

Johnson Lai

Hello. Newbie here.

I just bought a V8F. When the unit is on, it makes a high-pitched electronic noise (like a combination of static and radio interference) that's just loud enough to be a bit annoying. The sound cuts out if I press the kill-engine button under the handle.

Inmotion tells me it's a normal sound. Is that your experience as well? I was always under the impression that the wheel is silent when not in motion (no pun intended), like an electric car or e-scooter. Is this the same for other EUC brands?

That said, I was indoors. Maybe it'll be less noticeable outside.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I have a V8F too. I know what sound you are talking about. It does sound like a little scratchy electronic noise. I only hear it indoors when I first got it. Outside, the wind is loud enough to drown out the sound. Its normal. My V8F rides fine. Its a great wheel!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a V8F and it makes that noise too, but quietly enough that it's a non-issue, especially since I live near a highway. I figured it was just interference sounding through the internal speakers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Toad said:

On my V8F, the traditional mode and "comfort mode" make different noises. 

The comfort mode noise is more comfortable.  ;-)

:lol:

Have you figured out what else the comfort mode does? I feel no difference.

The sound is normal and only hearable when not standing on the wheel, so... never mind. I guess it comes from the magnets balancing the wheel.

• Like 1

The "comfort mode" noise (while moving) seems less irritating to dogs.

It might be my imagination, but "comfort mode" makes it easier for an ungraceful pilot to mount the unicycle.  I think "comfort mode" tolerates a tiny bit more footplate tilt before powering up the wheel to move one way or the other. 

every wheel in existence makes noise, idle and riding.. some are just more noticeable than others

Thanks for the tip about comfort and classic mode. I remember seeing that in the app but didn't know what the difference was. Looks like the latest app update has changed them to "commuting" and "off-roading". Evidently, I've been learning to ride in "off-roading" mode. Maybe "commuting" will be easier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is interesting,
Me and my brother both bought one V8F and one of them has static electic noise coming out of it, the other one close to silent when turned on and leaning against a wall. 

I am surprised how can there be such big difference between the two, mine is pretty new 1-2 weeks old, but his EUC is brand new 2-3 days since he got it. We didn't crash or drop it pretty sure, what could be the problem? :O

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SixZero said:

It is interesting,
Me and my brother both bought one V8F and one of them has static electic noise coming out of it, the other one close to silent when turned on and leaning against a wall. 

I am surprised how can there be such big difference between the two, mine is pretty new 1-2 weeks old, but his EUC is brand new 2-3 days since he got it. We didn't crash or drop it pretty sure, what could be the problem? :O

Welcome to the wonderful world of EUC quality control! I'm not saying something is right or wrong with either, but I am also not surprised at all. Other people report this same thing w/o a problem. Ride carefully for the first hundred miles or so. WE are the burn-in testers on new wheels. If its any consolation, my wheels have been fine, I have had to simply learn to ignore sounds that can't be explained. Whats important is, does the sound change or does another one begin.

Fun gadgets aint they? Its only because they are so fun, that I am able to rethink what I expect and try to chalk it up to 'character'. So yeah, lets just say each wheel has its own 'unique character'. Even two wheels of same model built side by side, will exhibit their own 'character'. See, it sounds totally neat and legit if you say it like that.:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

hopefully it's just noise coming out of the speakers... if it is, it's still a warranty issue (if it bugs you). I'd try making sure to connect a bluetooth music player to it, see if the static noise changes when the device is connected (while playing music and while the music is stopped). Something might just be loose and is easily enough to fix yourself?