Sherman lights observations.

6 hours ago, Simon Feenan Vans-Colina said:

Got my Sherman last night. Lovely machine, truly next level.

Wasn't a fan of the back light (why does it look like superman?!) and planned on replacing it anyway, and as chance would have it, mine is faulty. 

Confirmed there's power coming from the 3.5mm jack. It's 5v at the rear and 12v at the front incase anyone is wondering. 

The 5v at the rear means building lovely 3d printed neopixel programable LED lights will be a doddle. Literally 2 components, a controller (£2 ) and a neopixel array (~£20 for a 50LED one) .

I plan on using a ring light to begin with and 3d printing a case. If i get something i like, it'll be on Thingiverse.

I’m so glad someone who knows what they’re doing hates it too 😂

I’d be interested to hear how you get on / if you’ve seen anything 5v that would be plug and play other than the connector.

Edited by HippoPig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon Feenan Vans-Colina said:

You look good on that wheel mate...

But really - nice job. Ergh I’d love one printed in black (or would that render it useless?).

Superman light is too cringe for me.

I've uploaded the files for this project, so you can print your own. You could print the lower few layers in clear, then switch to black for the rest.

I printed this in UV changing filament so it's red in sunlight, and white to slow the colors more clearly at night time.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4541499

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 6:37 AM, Simon Feenan Vans-Colina said:

Got my Sherman last night. Lovely machine, truly next level.

Wasn't a fan of the back light (why does it look like superman?!) and planned on replacing it anyway, and as chance would have it, mine is faulty. 

Confirmed there's power coming from the 3.5mm jack. It's 5v at the rear and 12v at the front incase anyone is wondering. 

The 5v at the rear means building lovely 3d printed neopixel programable LED lights will be a doddle. Literally 2 components, a controller (£2 ) and a neopixel array (~£20 for a 50LED one) .

I plan on using a ring light to begin with and 3d printing a case. If i get something i like, it'll be on Thingiverse.

Sweet!  Thanks for testing and confirming!