My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

I suspect you missed the part where I stated possibly other loads on the circuit. At home, there is very little reason to charge at such speeds, it’s use case is on long distance rides where charge speed will dictate how much distance you’ll get on a given day, where you have absolutely no clue how much load is on the circuit before you draw another 1000W from it (100.xV * 10A)

Explain where you came up with this 90VDC figure? 

PS: stock YZpower charger is rated for 450W. 

90VDC was a good guess based on max voltage someone said they charged to (not full 100.8V), typical tolerances for amperage ratings at max voltage, and typical wattage range for consumer chargers that don't break the bank.  I got lucky at nailing 900W on the nose giving some operating margins.

I didn't miss your comment about circuits having some existing loads, maybe it's different for apartments, but in my experience a typical outlet in a home is very rarely loaded to 900W so I figure easily enough left to supply 900W to the wheel if needed.  Just don't operate it on the same circuit as your refrigerator or electric kettle. I agree if you are using public outlets it will vary a lot in something like a cafe, but be less of an issue in some other areas.

Epic watch... epic information.

No data" left off the table" with that stress test  Marty, taking that wheel down must have been a P.I.T.A.

Many thanks for that...  Leaperkim ( V.Sherman manufacturers) must, & Im sure will respond with a board revision.  Still utterly thank full for this wheel though.

Edited by RayBanMonster
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Esbu said:

Marty's video - One of the wires from the battery packs should be red. The capacitor was thermally stressed more than the other due to the design of the circuit and therefore was probably burned and loosened.

image.thumb.png.9fec839336e552294ec35ddd55e0f473.png

When I disconnect the batteries, both battery cables (4-wires) fell out of the wheel. That whole corner of the board is destroyed (crumbly). I'm beginning to think that there was so much current flowing from the batteries in the board that the solder in that area started re-flowing.

I still need to get the board out of the wheel, but am wondering if the MOSFET's were actually part of the failure.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

An EUC hanging from a cherry picker bucket, that's got to be a first.

Love it

Edit: I have to say I think it's really cool that they gave you permission to tinker with their loaner wheel and break it/stress test it and didn't have you sign some sort of NDA or censor you first.

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

An EUC hanging from a cherry picker bucket, that's got to be a first.

Love it

Edit: I have to say I think it's really cool that they gave you permission to tinker with their loaner wheel and break it/stress test it and didn't have you sign some sort of NDA or censor you first.

Yeah, EWheels is great.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2020 at 12:22 PM, Marty Backe said:

Previously I had experienced some downhill rides where I needed to brake, and to be honest, it wasn't the greatest feeling. But the Sherman allows you, via the LCD panel, to change the tilt of the pedals forwards or backwards 1 to 5 degrees, in 1-degree increments. Takes literally about 15-seconds.

So at the top of one of these steep hills, I reached down and tilted the pedals 2-degrees forward.

Can the same technique be used in reverse ? (tilting the pedals 2 degrees backward) to making hill climbs easier. So that you don't have to lean forward too much. 

It's real inspiring to see the openness towards documenting and disclosing the flaws, so that they can make it better.

And it was a "Tribulation" for Marty, as from the title of the thread itself. Looking forward for being triumphant.

Can't imagine walking down, with all the protective gear and the wheel, in that temperature.

Edited by Mr A.A
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chriull said:

Or @Planemo reporting an ?msx? with a blown capacitor in https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18815-capacitors-on-motherboardsany-tech-gurus/

Could be we see soon some metal film capacitors in parallel to the electrolytic capacitors. They can take much more peak/ripple current. This was at least a hint in an electronics forum from one who seemed experienced...

The GW capacitors (and other wheels if similar caps are used) for sure will become an increasing problem for high mileage and/or old wheels. I will be starting a new thread on it when I have a little more info. But yes, this is an issue which will need to become as much of a 'maintenance check' as others things such as tyre checks etc. A rider has already gone down with some rather nasty injuries because of it, and I sadly say there will be more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

Marty do you have any speed bumps in your area you can test the roll cage clearance on? This is my main concern... Don't do a ton of curb hopping but there are a lot of speed bumps here. 

That kind of test is prone to injury. I think Marty's already put himself on the line enough for the community, I reckon that test should be left for someone else ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Nice job, you accomplished what the NYC crew failed at! And they think they're the badass ones! ;) 

No pussy flat-landing...^_^

Seriously though, this was a super disappointing result for some of us on the heavier side.

• Like 3

Just now, winterwheel said:

No pussy flat-landing...^_^

Seriously though, this was a super disappointing result for some of us on the heavier side.

:roflmao:

And for those of us who were hoping it would be capable of serious off-roading as well as cruising. But with Marty's testing and Jason's determination to get Veteran to make this wheel "Overheat-hill Certified", we might just get what we're after, even if it's a little further down the road...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, travsformation said:

:roflmao:

And for those of us who were hoping it would be capable of serious off-roading as well as cruising. But with Marty's testing and Jason's determination to get Veteran to make this wheel "Overheat-hill Certified", we might just get what we're after, even if it's a little further down the road...

Here's hoping! Batteries can move 5000 lb Cybertrucks around, seems like it should be possible to get them working for us.

• Like 2

I can’t figure you guys out. Someone takes a product, the first of its kind mind you, kind of a prototype, the first run and does to it what it was never designed to do and it fails and you guys are devastated? Gezzzz

I had to add to this. You know very well veteran and Jason will get this fixed so let me ask you this. So let’s say they get it fixed and Marty takes the thing up overheat hill and it passes. But then he goes up overheat Hill for a second time immediately after the first trip and it fries that time. Are you guys going to be devastated then as well? My point is 99.999% of you guys will never put any wheel never mind this wheel under that kind of stress condition. Rant over.

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2

Issues from a brand new wheel from a brand new company shouldn't be a shock to anyone. It's how they handle these hurtles that will determine their value and from what I can see they are on top of it, so no worries from me. To be honest I expected a lot more problems than what has been reported and I knew there could be going into this purchase.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chriull said:

Could be we see soon some metal film capacitors in parallel to the electrolytic capacitors. They can take much more peak/ripple current. This was at least a hint in an electronics forum from one who seemed experienced...

The current will depend on the energy stored (i e capacitance), and film capacitors will have much smaller value meaning they will take much less current. the particular issue here is a combination of 1. Improper capacitor location. Electrolytic caps do not like high temperatures (no more than 100C) and they should not be mounted on top of hot components, such as MOSFETs here 2. Cheap capacitor brand (low quality) 3. Need to specifically pick capacitor with low ESR for high current applications.

Also why would it be such a big current there flowing through the caps? If you just short charged cap it will not explode like this. Most likely the problem is overheating  due to suboptimal PCB design and poor heat dissipation.

• Like 1