My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

On 7/7/2020 at 1:02 AM, Blueblade said:

Now only if they can figure out some suspension for this thing, and maybe it would be the ultimate offroad wheel ever!

I am dying to buy a new wheel and my next will have suspension. After seeing all the reviews of this wheel, I am locked in to wait it out until Sherman (hopefully) makes a suspension wheel.

1 hour ago, eve said:

The real question is why is it called Veteran Sherman. Shouldnt it be LeaperKim Sherman? :D @Marty Backe do you know anything about this?

LeaperKim is the "Corporate" name I'm guessing. Did you know that Gotway is actually KEBYE?

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

I am dying to buy a new wheel and my next will have suspension. After seeing all the reviews of this wheel, I am locked in to wait it out until Sherman (hopefully) makes a suspension wheel.

You're probably in for a long wait :)

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

He does mention at 7:34 that you have to hit obstacles straight on, with the wheel upright, since if you hit them at an angle, it's easy to scrape the tubing. Not the kind of consideration I'd want to have on the back of my mind while riding a "19-inch" wheel. Then again, this wheel is still ridiculously alluring, I want it anyway 😅

I’m confused by this statement. What’s meant by scraping the tubing? You mean the sidewall of the tire or the actual tube that’s inside the tire? 

2 minutes ago, shellac said:

I’m confused by this statement. What’s meant by scraping the tubing? You mean the sidewall of the tire or the actual tube that’s inside the tire? 

He means the metal tubing that wraps around the shell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shellac said:

I think he means the metal tubes on the outside. If you watch Hsaing's video, they couldn't climb stairs because they'd hit the corner of the exterior metal tubing. 

• Like 2

On 7/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Latest video I see on your channel is your unboxing:confused1:

I'm confused as apparently you are. I have various Sherman videos on my channel and of course they've all been posted in this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So at the top of one of these steep hills, I reached down and tilted the pedals 2-degrees forward. Wow, what a difference. I could descend the hill slowly in total control without having to squeeze the shell for dear life. A great experience.

Tilting them FORWARD to get better control downhill??? I would have thought it would be better to tilt them back...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm confused as apparently you are. I have various Sherman videos on my channel and of course they've all been posted in this thread.

Everything is good, I see all your videos! That comment was long ago before you uploaded your first range test video (but you made it sound like it was already on Youtube). You answered twice that it wasn't up yet, so I think your own thread is confusing you;) Everything is good, I see all your videos.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Tilting them FORWARD to get better control downhill??? I would have thought it would be better to tilt them back...

Tiltforward means it is easier to push your heels down onto the rear part of the pedals and brake:)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Tiltforward means it is easier to push your heels down onto the rear part of the pedals and brake:)

Thanks meep! That explains why I've been having slightly more trouble braking on my 16X since I tilted the pedals backward 1º for off-roading. It isn't bad, but enough that I noticed. I would have figured that the angle would predispose one's weight distribution backwards and make it easier, but yeah, it's harder to dig your heels it... 😅

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 1:41 AM, Marty Backe said:

Great video. And those are the most impressive power pads that I've seen :)

Thank you for all these videos you just just made about the Sherman. Overdue thanks as well for all the other ones that I've been following over the years ever since the days of ACM washing (we've come a long way).

Regarding off trail, in the french video, at 1:58 it says the Sherman is precise for spots requiring technique. Starting at 6:07 he shares his feelings about the Sherman. The lights are very powerful , with a much wider coverage than than any lights mounted on other wheels right now. Great for off roading with the only downside that you can blind incoming people though the vertical angle can be adjusted.

Around 7:15 he says that for those who have an 'extreme'  :Driding style the tire is awesome with an excellent grip and great for street riding as well as off road. He does mention that the tubular frame has to be kept in mind when off roading because while taking an obstacle facing head on is fine, hitting an obstacle with the side bars will make you fall. When it comes to jumping, don't expect MSX level agility especially if you pull the wheel while jumping because the Sherman is heavy, but you can jump using the speed and power of the wheel and pull it to a certain extent. For climbing steps, he says that it's doable, even without making too much noise (see demonstration). With some practice, you can lift the wheel and have the tire hit the edges of the steps and thus climb without too much trouble. Veteran is fairly tall so very stable but not as tall as the Monster so much more maneuverable : a good compromise.

On the tire again : very good on all type of terrains. The knobs are very comfy and since tightly spaced don't make too much noise. For off road riding, much better than an MSX with a regular tire. Safer and more comfortable.

Last detail : the trolley handle recedes inside the body of the wheel so in the case of a fall, it won't be so prone to breaking as is the case for the MSX handle :efefa6edcf:.

Edited by Nekko 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

Thanks meep! That explains why I've been having slightly more trouble braking on my 16X since I tilted the pedals backward 1º for off-roading. It isn't bad, but enough that I noticed. I would have figured that the angle would predispose one's weight distribution backwards and make it easier, but yeah, it's harder to dig your heels it... 😅

If I don't want to be tilting the pedals forwards and backwards (for a bunch of trail riding), just leaving it 2-degrees backwards feels great. Braking is where it's most useful for me.

This dynamic ability with the Sherman is fantastic. You will love it.

• Like 2