My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I think the advantage is range and a smaller wheel. Compared to the Sherman, the Monster is top-heavy and more awkward between the legs. It may be more stable - the tire is wider than the Monster tire. The Sherman is also perfectly balanced. The 2400wh Monster is horribly unbalanced, and like I said, top-heavy.

Thanks!

Definitely would be nice to have the extra maneuverability. 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

One of the funniest EUC videos I have seen. You lifting the Sherman into the truck the first time with the unexpected awkward body bend was hilarious:laughbounce2:

-

Looks like they could easily fix this by extending/modifying the metal tubing along the top of the wheel to offer a grab handle.

I was thinking maybe even a ratchet strap would do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nekko 2 said:

Great video. And those are the most impressive power pads that I've seen :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Range Test

Riders weight: 176-pounds
Tire pressure: ~25psi
Speed: 20 - 22mph on average when able to go full speed

A few observations

• No continuous (annoying) low battery beeping. Only a periodic low level double-beep. When the battery is extremely low it double-beeps once every 30-seconds
  • It wasn't until the 88-mile marker that I heard the first double-beep
  • Even with the double-beeps, I could ride at ~40km/h
  • When the battery got very low (<78-volts) then the pedals start tilting back to restrict your speed (could still travel at ~25km/h). Slow down and the pedals even out.
  • Pedal tilt-back can be reset by cycling the power on the wheel. But of course it will soon start to tilt-back again. However, you can squeeze out some more distance this way if you really don't want to walk at all.
  • 0% (impossible to ride - severe tilt-back) occurs at ~76-volts. Full battery is 99.5-volts.
  • My "walk of shame" started at 93-1/2 miles.
  •  If I need to get someplace far, I'll consider this an 85 to 90 mile wheel if I maintain a speed below 22-mph (which was the fastest wheel on the planet 3+ years ago).

A few miles aren't captured in these screen shots

Screenshot_20200709-181653_Geo Tracker

Geo-Tracker-2020-07-09-18-20-59

Shoulda done a 30 mph range test, you would have been done in half the time!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Thompson said:

You're pulling the wheel up to far, back injury on the calendar. Pull up and bounce it off your thigh just above the knee like a sack of fertilizer. It's a rhythmic motion like a golf swing with Judo.

Bounce it off my thigh :shock2:  I think I'd get a bruise :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Range Test

Riders weight: 176-pounds
Tire pressure: ~25psi
Speed: 20 - 22mph on average when able to go full speed

Nice range! I have to say, kudos for the self-control of being able to limit yourself to 22 mph for 86 miles...I probably would have managed for 10 at the very most before I said "screw it, this is going to be a real-world, high-speed test" :whistling:

Thanks for the hard work (time and will power) you devote to the community! 

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

.... .I probably would have managed for 10 at the very most before I said "screw it, this is going to be a real-world, high-speed test" :whistling:

Every test has its conditions, and I think Marty's test is very 'real world' because few will ever be running it from full to empty in a single go. Many will be using it over several much shorter rides with speeds probably similar to Marty's or maybe a little faster depending on the activity.   Of course for high speed riders they can expect less, but we already have a range test for that from others.

Edited by FreeRide
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

Impressive riding for such a heavy wheel! There's no way I could pull that off on the Sherman (and I'm not even counting the jumps) 😅

The only thing the video is lacking is more uphill sections to get an idea of the torque. He does mention at 7:34 that you have to hit obstacles straight on, with the wheel upright, since if you hit them at an angle, it's easy to scrape the tubing. Not the kind of consideration I'd want to have on the back of my mind while riding a "19-inch" wheel. Then again, this wheel is still ridiculously alluring, I want it anyway 😅

BTW, I noticed right away, from his accent, that he was from southern France (I lived in Narbonne for a year), then saw he's from Montpellier. It's quite noticeable in the words that end with "-oin" (loin, coin, etc) hehe

I had the exact same observations, skilled rider (with huge pads). You don't want to hit bumps at an angle. The dude is from Southern France. :D

Edited by Tazarinho
Somehow submitted early
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tazarinho said:

I had the exact same observations, skilled rider (with huge pads). You don't want to hit bumps at an angle. The dude is from Southern France. :D

:roflmao:

So are you ordering a Sherman then? :D

• Like 1