My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

According to my range test completed today, I'm afraid @stephen's fat ass won't make 80-miles, but you're probably in the ballpark :laughbounce2:

☹️,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,😂:roflmao:

Edited by stephen
  • Like 2

Kuji Rolls 

Facebook post 1Hour ago

"Got about five miles before the new street tire got unseated and the inner tube popped. Not sure of root cause, but maybe my preference of 15-20psi pressures had something to do with it."

107594531_1036186343445700_8120829740454

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Wow thats alarming, even at 15psi. It has a thick bead too, looks almost like a tubeless motorbike tyre. Even less reason for it to pop off. I am wondering if the skinny euc rim is too narrow for the intended fitment of that tyre.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Wow thats alarming, even at 15psi. It has a thick bead too, looks almost like a tubeless motorbike tyre. Even less reason for it to pop off. I am wondering if the skinny euc rim is too narrow for the intended fitment of that tyre.

Looks like it, and not by a little. Much stiffer tread area on the street version. I wonder what the ACTUAL tire measurements are. No doubt, running so low on such a heavy wheel, with a tread profile that is both stiff and wide for the rim. Not great to see, but i wonder if a reasonable amount of pressure, would have mitigated this as it seems it was side load induced? Im sure Kuji will air it up and try again.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Mt Baldy.

That's overheat hill/includes overheat hill?

Could you/do you want to take a look at the motor wires/conbectors after the ride!? Would be interesting if the show any signs of burden/heat after a climbing/burden test!

Should be easy accessible according to https://ecodrift.ru/2020/07/05/razbiraem-veteran-sherman-iz-pervoj-postavki-mnogo-udivitelnyh-otkrytij/ (ecodrifts teardown report)?

But if you want to ride like the wind without a care in the world, get a Sherman!

:thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Should be easy accessible according to https://ecodrift.ru/2020/07/05/razbiraem-veteran-sherman-iz-pervoj-postavki-mnogo-udivitelnyh-otkrytij/ (ecodrifts teardown report)?

The significant dirt and rust on the bearings, magnets and motor windings for a brand new wheel is concerning. 

• Like 1

Yes, I know about the melting wires issue. I will be opening and inspecting the wires before I do my test and then afterwards.

This is gonna be fun to watch 😊

• Like 1

Just now, FullTilt said:

The significant dirt and rust on the bearings, magnets and motor windings for a brand new wheel is concerning. 

Veteran have said that that was an isolated issue in the very first pre-pro batch, of which ecodrift received their first wheel. This is not apparently inclusive of the production models. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Will R said:

Veteran have said that that was an isolated issue in the very first pre-pro batch, of which ecodrift received their first wheel. This is not apparently inclusive of the production models. 

Phew 😅 

• Like 1

It looks like @palachzzz has added Veteran Sherman support to WheelLog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_3810-HDR-Edit

Gotway Died For Me Today

I just returned from a 26-mile 5300-ft climb to the top of Mt Baldy. I rode it hard and fast and pretended I had an infinite battery - zero battery management.

I arrived in a record 1 hour and 20 minutes to the top of the ski lifts. I had five out of eight bars remaining, 89 volts. After riding down the mountain 26-miles I had five out of eight bars and 87 volts.

It was an absolutely amazing ride. I honestly have no desire to ride any of my Gotway wheels and certainly not any KingSong.

Sure, those other wheels still have their purposes, but my God, when you just want to go out and ride, the Sherman is incredible. I say this after now having ridden the wheel for 295-miles. Give yourself 50-miles of riding before passing judgement 1f642.png:-)

I do feel a little melancholy saying this because Gotway has been such a great brand for me.

My message is for the passionate EUC riders out there. It's not the perfect wheel for walking your dog, shopping, mellow rides in the woods, etc. But if you want to ride like the wind without a care in the world, get a Sherman!

Marty, PM me your wife's cell.  I need to warn her that you have a unhealthy relationship starting here.  :)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bvoland said:

Marty, I appreciate you directing me to your Sherman thread. I have been reading through your comments and thoughts on the wheel and decided to quote you in this section because it sums it up nicely. I purchased my first wheel the Nikola Plus in 8/19 based on watching your review of the 84V and 100V and decided on the 100V even though it was my first wheel. I am sort of a speed demon and so elected to go with the 100V and it has been an amazing wheel and could not be happier. I am now looking for a cruising wheel that is still off road capable but mainly for long rides at higher speeds. I believe the Veteran Sherman will definitely do that for me and in watching your first video on the Veteran Sherman I could see your thrill and excitement and I do not think I have seen that from you before so rather than wait to compare it with the New Monster Pro. I just sent an email to Jason at eWheels and will be ordering my wheel. Thanks for your great content and keep up the great work for the EUC community.

I truly believe you will not be disappointed! Thanks for the comments :D

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree that the Sherman is not a great wheel for technical off-road riding. But God, is it a thrilling wheel for road/pavement riding :w00t2:

Well it certainly has the coolest tire for off roading of any wheel I’ve seen come standard.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree that the Sherman is not a great wheel for technical off-road riding. But God, is it a thrilling wheel for road/pavement riding :w00t2:

So Marty, I'm really interested in this wheel. But what would be the advantage over my Monster V3? I ride it at 50km/h basically all the time, and I don't have stability problems. So the reason to get one of these would be acceleration and range? Why don't you ride your Monster at 50km/h? Is the Veteran as stable as the Monster?

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 1