My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

I doubt Kuji have time or interest in doing one on one reviews, or he’d be hanging around here more. He’ll probably share an opinion at some point once the replacement tyre don’t come off.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MrRobot said:

I just want to know which tire to get 😭

Are there any other reviewers that have experience with both? 

No - but I have experience of a knobbly on the MSX and hated it.

I won’t be replacing the original tyre on my Sherman.

22 minutes ago, HippoPig said:

No - but I have experience of a knobbly on the MSX and hated it.

I won’t be replacing the original tyre on my Sherman.

I'm confused. You hated the knobby tire on an msx but you're going to keep it on the Sherman? Why? 

• Like 1

The Sherman with all it's heft and torque was designed with that tire in mind. I wonder if the weight and power would cause regular street tires to slip more easily. I also wonder if the reduced clearance depending on street tire might at all be an issue here or more so with pedal scraping:

1_oSLHMctddK2-TTHDWO60dA.jpeg

Edited by FullTilt

On 7/5/2020 at 8:24 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I love how they even copied the name from Gotway:roflmao:

Gotway: Dongguan kebye Intelligent Technology Co.LTD

Veteran: Guangzhou Veteran Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd.

-

Looking forward to all your tests with this wheel. Enjoy the ride!

That's funny actually. lol. What if Sherman ends up being a PSYOP from Gotway, similar to how Apple had different teams in the same company working on competing products, with Gotway taking it one step further. Be separate. 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, Marty Backe said:

Overheat Hill Stress Test Results

Just a "minor issue" - here a photo from your video:

CmTsekz.jpg

As the capacitor legs are not isolated (as they are neither at other wheels?!) and battery wiring quite near, there should be a possibility that if one of these (hot) wires touch and shortcuts the capacitor legs?! This would mean the battery supply is shortcircuited... This should engage the main fuse, but maybe if the "thin" capacitor legs evaporate fast enough the fuse could survive?

No idea if this could be a possible primary reason for the incident, but putting heat resistant sleeves on the legs could not hurt! (for all wheel manufacturers...)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jediah Matthew said:

That's funny actually. lol. What if Sherman ends up being a PSYOP from Gotway, similar to how Apple had different teams in the same company working on competing products, with Gotway taking it one step further. Be separate.

Then King Song would be a Gotway psyop, too. Because engineers being unhappy with Gotway management's decisions and running off to start their own company is how both KS and Veteran supposedly started.

But who knows, maybe they are, and we are all being had (and fleeced):D

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So then I peeled back the cabling as they are exiting from the axle. Here you can see the blue and green wires are fused together

On the wire insulation does it say AWG number?  Or thickness in mm? For this current probably need 10AWG at least (copper area of 2.6mm in diameter).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Many cables are indeed tinned throughout, to prevent the copper from oxidizing.

Solid wires are stiff and break easily if continuously twisted. Any device prone to shaking uses wires with multiple strands, pretty much everywhere.

Yes - it was just one awg table that showed less current limit for stranded wires compared to solid wires. But this seems to be just a "safety concern for house installation" taking into account that single strands could break?

Resistance is about the same for the solid and the stranded wires (if i remember correctly AWG 14 used?):

AWG Diameter Resistance Resistance Total Power Dissipation (W) for 0.5m at
    mm Ohm/km Ohm/km 20A 50A 100A
Solid Wire 14 1,63 8,55 8,55 1,71 10,69 42,75

Stranded AWG 14              
Strands              
7 22 0,64 54,70 7,81 1,56 9,77 39,07
19 27 0,361 174,00 9,16 1,83 11,45 45,79
41 30 0,255 349,00 8,51 1,70 10,64 42,56
105 34 0,16 884,00 8,42 1,68 10,52 42,10

25 minutes ago, Alj said:

For this current probably need 10AWG at least

Should be, if there was enough room inside the axle... :(

At the ~100A @Marty Backe uses about as current alarm for GW wheels there would be ~40W power disspation at 50 cm AWG 14 cables.... Not a too sustainable/healthy design... ;(

PS.: But that's about standard with all the wheels by now (as afair Marty mentioned - same wires as with MSP/X/...)? Or some already have thicker axles and thicker wires used?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Solid wires are stiff and break easily if continuously twisted. Any device prone to shaking uses wires with multiple strands, pretty much everywhere.

The motor wires on my msx (where they exit the hub and go to the board) are incredibly stiff. I would have said they were solid core but it could just be that they are very stiff stranded (like household wiring). Either way, they certainly dont flex!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought perhaps I could remove the three motor wires, add the provided wire sheathing, and re-route the wires through the axle. After looking at this I've decided that's a task best done while the motor is being assembled.

Pulling new wires is challenging but you could easily handle the task. If you decide to work on both sides of the motor simultaneously I have some great business cards for realignment . ;)

34264150676_3c6a009697_b.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The motor wires on my msx (where they exit the hub and go to the board) are incredibly stiff.

Just had to try "stiffness" with normal "copper household" wires we use around here. They are 1.5mm in diameter - so between AWG 14 and 15. As they are stiff i would not say incredible - they are easy to bend or install. Even the 4 wire 1.5mm "compound wires" (2 phases, ground and neutral) are no problem - just the thick common outer insulation makes them a bit "unhandy"...

17 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I would have said they were solid core but it could just be that they are very stiff stranded (like household wiring). Either way, they certainly dont flex!

For the battery wires afaik fine stranded wires are used - they are nicely flexible...

30 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The motor wires on my msx (where they exit the hub and go to the board) are incredibly stiff. I would have said they were solid core but it could just be that they are very stiff stranded (like household wiring). Either way, they certainly dont flex!

When I rewired my old ACM motor I used high temp silicone wires which were extremely flexible.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3