City & difficult offroad - v8f vs v10f (or similar)

On 7/8/2020 at 2:55 PM, travsformation said:

And if you're not a fast rider, you won't be outgrowing it soon! 

I wasnt a fast rider........................... now i cant stay away from the beeps....they call to me.....

• Like 2

I just got home and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn thats a ducking heavy wheel! I'm not sure I'll be able to handle this hahaha. I'm really sad about scratching it :-(

Well, I guess that scratching wheels are things that simply happens. I already saw that ks16x shells cost about 100€. Will buy one in a couple of months for sure xD

EDIT: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Llorx said:

I just got home and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn thats a ducking heavy wheel! I'm not sure I'll be able to handle this hahaha. I'm really sad about scratching it :-(

Well, I guess that scratching wheels are things that simply happens. I already saw that ks16x shells cost about 100€. Will buy one in a couple of months for sure xD

EDIT: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

You'll get used to it in no time. But I remember the transition from the V8 to the 18XL being "wow, how the hell do I ride this tank?". Transitioning to the 16X was "how did they make a wheel just as heavy as the 18XL feel so light and nimble?". It's all relatvie... 😂

If you don't want to scratch it up, consider an EUC Bodyguard cover. I personally think they look pretty sweet:

photo-2020-01-22-17-32-02.jpg

When I bought mine, I had to order it from roll.nz in New Zealand, but now there's a European distributor who sells them: 

https://www.gyroriderz.com/collections/accessoires-gyroroues/products/roll-nz-euc-bodyguard

(If you want to customize it, you do have to order directly from roll.nz, but i think shipping time from NZ to Spain was 3-4 days)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

It will be a natural extension to your body before you know it! :)

I hope so. Tried it today and I'm having inner-shins pain again haha.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow it arrived quickly!

I think a EUC bodyguard for your 16X (otr any wheel that has one) is worth it. Maybe it's too late already, but these things are great. https://www.roll.nz/int/27-store

Bought it in my contry, but at chinese price. Actually was a guy who bough 2 wheels (one for a friend) but had the second wheel in the box since february. He sold me the boxed one at the same price he bought it and we both win. I got a chinese delivery in 48 hours haha. Really lucky.

And yes, is too late already xD. Today I started on road with a 20kmh limit and after 1 hour or so (when I got used to it) I went offroad at 25kmh. Is really gorgeous but I fell off a downhill full of potholes and gravel :facepalm:

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

You'll get used to it in no time. But I remember the transition from the V8 to the 18XL being "wow, how the hell do I ride this tank?". Transitioning to the 16X was "how did they make a wheel just as heavy as the 18XL feel so light and nimble?". It's all relatvie... 😂

If you don't want to scratch it up, consider an EUC Bodyguard cover. I personally think they look pretty sweet:

photo-2020-01-22-17-32-02.jpg

When I bought mine, I had to order it from roll.nz in New Zealand, but now there's a European distributor who sells them: 

https://www.gyroriderz.com/collections/accessoires-gyroroues/products/roll-nz-euc-bodyguard

(If you want to customize it, you do have to order directly from roll.nz, but i think shipping time from NZ to Spain was 3-4 days)

Woah, I saw roll.nz bodyguards this morning but didn't knew they had Euro distributors. That's really cool. I'm going to buy one to cover the scratches I'm making now xD

• Like 1

Make sure you have the tire pressure right for your weight. Set the make speed to something low until you get used to the wheel. Practise somewhere quiet until you've mastered turning and stopping etc on the new wheel. You could try looking for foam protection in a hardware store. 

36 minutes ago, Llorx said:

I'm going to buy one to cover the scratches I'm making now xD

Not sure how the shape of the 16X is, but a bodyguard might not only protect your wheel, but also your shins in the right situation. That alone is worth it in my book.

5 hours ago, Llorx said:

And yes, is too late already xD. Today I started on road with a 20kmh limit and after 1 hour or so (when I got used to it) I went offroad at 25kmh. Is really gorgeous but I fell off a downhill full of potholes and gravel :facepalm:

No, it isn't too late. Two falls and a few scratches is nothing compared to the scratches you'll get in thousands of kms ;)

9 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Make sure you have the tire pressure right for your weight. Set the make speed to something low until you get used to the wheel. Practise somewhere quiet until you've mastered turning and stopping etc on the new wheel. You could try looking for foam protection in a hardware store. 

Eeexactly! I'm on 35 PSI now, which I feel fine for me. Btw I'm going to test different PSI for offroad and paved road. I have set the max speed my old wheel could reach, which I'm used to (25 kmph) waiting for some protection to arrive on monday before increasing it to 40kmh, and was practicing on a big dirt lot next to my house. What I need now is the bodyguard.

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure how the shape of the 16X is, but a bodyguard might not only protect your wheel, but also your shins in the right situation. That alone is worth it in my book.

Yep, I didn't think about it, but you are right. The bodyguard I'm looking for is a cloth one, so will be better than nothing. Will buy one for sure.

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

No, it isn't too late. Two falls and a few scratches is nothing compared to the scratches you'll get in thousands of kms ;)

Yeah, that's true hahaha. Is not as shiny as it was when I opened the box and has been one day only xD

10 hours ago, Llorx said:

Eeexactly! I'm on 35 PSI now, which I feel fine for me. Btw I'm going to test different PSI for offroad and paved road. I have set the max speed my old wheel could reach, which I'm used to (25 kmph) waiting for some protection to arrive on monday before increasing it to 40kmh, and was practicing on a big dirt lot next to my house. What I need now is the bodyguard

35 PSI sounds about right for your weight. I'm 70 kg (ungeared) and run it at 30 PSI. Beware with high PSI, or you get the infamous "tram-lining" effect, where the wheel follows cracks in the road instead of going where you tell it to. Try approaching some cracks at lower speeds (or riding along a section of tiled sidewalk) to see if it happens to you...you don't want that happening for the first time when going fast, it's seriously scary (enough to make you fall off your wheel). If it does that, lower the pressure slightly. 

10 hours ago, Llorx said:

Yeah, that's true hahaha. Is not as shiny as it was when I opened the box and has been one day only xD

I put the EUC bodyguard on my 18XL after 500 km, which included me learning to off-road. The wheel did not look pretty by the time I put it on...

447817583-76528.jpg

The EUC bodyguard does a nice job of hiding those nasty battle scar though:

20190616-204534.jpg

With the 16X I didn't make that mistake: I received the bodyguard before the wheel, so it's never been ridden without a cover :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, travsformation said:

35 PSI sounds about right for your weight. I'm 70 kg (ungeared) and run it at 30 PSI. Beware with high PSI, or you get the infamous "tram-lining" effect, where the wheel follows cracks in the road instead of going where you tell it to. Try approaching some cracks at lower speeds (or riding along a section of tiled sidewalk) to see if it happens to you...you don't want that happening for the first time when going fast, it's seriously scary (enough to make you fall off your wheel). If it does that, lower the pressure slightly. 

Oh, great tip, didn't know. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I put the EUC bodyguard on my 18XL after 500 km, which included me learning to off-road. The wheel did not look pretty by the time I put it on...

447817583-76528.jpg

The EUC bodyguard does a nice job of hiding those nasty battle scar though:

20190616-204534.jpg

With the 16X I didn't make that mistake: I received the bodyguard before the wheel, so it's never been ridden without a cover :D

Nice. I guess I had a noob fail here haha. Is the guard a bit mushy? to help a bit with the inner shin bruises (well, I don't have bruises actually, but hurts. I do really feel that extra width compared to the v5f).

1 hour ago, Llorx said:

Nice. I guess I had a noob fail here haha. Is the guard a bit mushy? to help a bit with the inner shin bruises (well, I don't have bruises actually, but hurts. I do really feel that extra width compared to the v5f).

Haha

The guard is soft, it's neoprene. It adds a bit of padding, which helps protects the wheel from impacts as well as scratched, but I don't think it'll help much with your shins, maybe you could put some thin pads under the BG, although I suspect you'll get used to the wheel sooner than that.

It's a wide wheel, yeah (also compared to the 18XL), but I've really come to like the form factor, it's what give it that nice, balanced ride and makes it easy to lean it on your legs when doing tight turns

18 hours ago, travsformation said:

The guard is soft, it's neoprene. It adds a bit of padding, which helps protects the wheel from impacts as well as scratched, but I don't think it'll help much with your shins, maybe you could put some thin pads under the BG, although I suspect you'll get used to the wheel sooner than that.

Yep, I saw a purple one for the 18XL I liked a lot and asked to have one for the 16X. They have purple 16X in stock although they don't have the website updated. They are planning to do so but right now you have to manually ask them in their wesite when you make an order so I don't know how much time it will be to arrive from NZ. Maybe I get used to it meanwhile, yeah.

18 hours ago, travsformation said:

It's a wide wheel, yeah (also compared to the 18XL), but I've really come to like the form factor, it's what give it that nice, balanced ride and makes it easy to lean it on your legs when doing tight turns

Yep, I noticed that 16X is quite nimble. Coming from v5f I do see a difference, but not that big difference I expected (specially when I saw how big and heavy is haha). Is easy to ride at low speeds and is easy to do fast turns to avoid potholes and such. Loving it so much :thumbup:

Edited by Llorx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Llorx said:

Yep, I noticed that 16X is quite nimble. Coming from v5f I do see a difference, but not that big difference I expected (specially when I saw how big and heavy is haha). Is easy to ride at low speeds and is easy to do fast turns to avoid potholes and such. Loving it so much :thumbup:

It's pretty impressive how they managed to make such a heavy wheel so nimble and easy to turn, and that fat tire... 😍  

Glad you'er enjoying it! Just wait until you feel more comfortable on it and start doing more off-roading, you're going to love it! :D 

Do be careful with that torque though, it's easy to pick up a lot of speed fast without even realizing it! 😉

Since done your research, you've probably already read that you should be careful not to accelerate too aggressively when above 40 km/h (some people say 45 km/h, I just prefer to be extra cautious), but I thought I'd mention it just in case. 

And as a general safety precaution, since you're coming from a much slower wheel: get used to the speed gradually and try to stay self-critical about your riding skills, it's very easy to become overconfident and ride faster than you're able to control the wheel (if you need to swerve to dodge a pothole, person, etc.). And gear up! You're riding a performance wheel now! ;)

Happy riding! 

• Like 2