Hello from a new V8F owner

Kai Drange

2 hours ago, Nostris said:

I’m impressed. You must have been able to pick up EUC riding skills very quickly.

Heh, no need to be! :) I haven’t actually got much of that down yet. I  just thought it would be a good idea to practice that kind of stuff right from the start. My feet muscles quickly tire and I have several wounds from the wheel hitting my legs, so those sessions needs to be short for the time being. I’m able to ride on one leg now, so at least some progress, but no going backwards yet.

I know how to ski, skate, snowboard, walk a tightrope, etc., so that probably helped me get the “basic” riding skills down quickly. And yes, I can imagine the V8F is a good learning wheel. I feel that its weight makes learning harder, so I can only imagine how it would be on a even heavier wheel...

On 7/10/2020 at 5:57 AM, Vellberger said:

Hello, does anyone own the protectiv cover for the V8F? I received mine yesterday and I´m wondering what the zipper is for. Didn´t make any difference for mounting the cover.

I wondered about this, too.  At first blush, it might seem that the zipper's purpose is merely to counterbalance the headlight cutout, so the protective cover is completely neutral with respect to forward-backward inclination.  However, this begs the question of why use a zipper.  So we must consider Inmotion's business model.  And, frankly, it is a very difficult business to make a profit purely on unicycles.  This supports a second theory, which is a perfectly legal tax maneuver, owing to how zippers are not subject to import duty when attached to an electric unicycle.  Also, and I would have to check the specifics, but I believe unicycles are subject to a lower duty when they are only the packing material for a zipper. 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:57 AM, Vellberger said:

Hello, does anyone own the protectiv cover for the V8F? I received mine yesterday and I´m wondering what the zipper is for. Didn´t make any difference for mounting the cover.

Perhaps to be obscene when let it open? No idea...

haha yes i have the cover and i also didn't understand the zipper. I just keep it zipped up :).  Love the cover btw as it keeps the wheel pristine, but my foot pads are getting a bit scratched up now.

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived in Bergen today. What a lovely country! At the moment we stay on a camp site at Espeland, me and my son had a great EUC Tour on the V8F an V5F+. Tomorrow we will visit Bergen. Seems we have got luck with the weather!

3DF28F2B-2156-4B83-BA5F-D97CBA052218.thumb.jpeg.42dfad9233372d8844855689eb99fe68.jpeg

Edited by Fahrtwind
  • Like 3

Hello, I have set the max speed of my V8F to 30km/h and I´m verry often close to it. I also love to climb fast. Well... I noticed that I get more and more in overpowering the wheel. And I am no heavy guy. The pedals are tilting and the lady voice tells me to get off. Yesterday it was four times on just one trip. Hmm... I really love my new toy.  But when a lady tells you to get off, it is NEVER a sign of joy! ^^ However, I also noticed, that the range dramatically decreases when i drive fast. Let´s say it´s about 25km or even a bit less.  I do not remember having this issues while driving 25km/h max so badly. 

What are your experiences? Any tips what I can do (ecxept driving 20km/h)? Don´t want to say I would be disapointed, because I love this wheel to much. But 25km range instead of 50km inmotion specified is quit a bit disillusioning.

I guess I start saving money for a V11F in case it comes to market in one or two years.

Edited by Vellberger

Yes my friend we are so totally in the same boat. I love the V8F but often ride close on 30kmh and I'm not comfortable being so close to the max of this motor. I watch the power gauge on the app and often touch and even exceed 1000W which is not safe in my opinion. I am most likely going to upgrade , my light weight candidates are : MCM5, Tesla V2. My heavyweight candidates are S18 or V11. Recently I read a post of a guy cutting out on a brand new V11 production model at very normal speed so this has me a bit worried about buying an first version of a new model. Maybe better to wait until they iron out all the kinks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Felix said:

Yes my friend we are so totally in the same boat. I love the V8F but often ride close on 30kmh and I'm not comfortable being so close to the max of this motor. I watch the power gauge on the app and often touch and even exceed 1000W which is not safe in my opinion. I am most likely going to upgrade , my light weight candidates are : MCM5, Tesla V2. My heavyweight candidates are S18 or V11. Recently I read a post of a guy cutting out on a brand new V11 production model at very normal speed so this has me a bit worried about buying an first version of a new model. Maybe better to wait until they iron out all the kinks

The thing is: If you buy a bigger wheel, do you really use the older one any more? I thought keeping it for learning some tricks, which makes more sense on smaller eucs. But in reality I suspect rather chasing around with the fast one. I own my V8F not for long yet. And I would not be able to sell it easily in my nearby, especially it has some scratches. It would be a bad deal. So, a new euc is no question these days. (At least when you ask my wife - if it was up to my, I would have the hole house full of them :-D)

But: If I would own two wheels they could be very different to explain yourself why you have both. In this case you propably use only one of them. If they would be very similar you would probably use both, but wouldn´t need both. So, the question (for me) is how different the newer wheel should be. And I think it probably should be much different to avoid that it is to small after a short time, too. 

1 hour ago, Vellberger said:

What are your experiences?

I have only had the overpowering thing happen once so far, and that was when I wanted to check how fast I could go up a very steep hill. I'm 83kg and have set the max speed to 28km/h. I'm trying to ride at around 20-25km/h. I'm apparently a terrible judge of speed, though, so without the lowered max I ride at 30+ km/h without realising it. So personally I'm not worried about overpowering the wheel at all. I might be closer to the limit than I realise, though. I'm not paying attention to the power gauge or anything like that. I would describe my current riding style as "relaxed", without much aggressive acceleration, etc. I want a smooth, comfortable ride. Carving along at a speed where I feel safe. But not quite there yet. Still some sudden jolts of adrenaline now and then.

I have been practicing handling the tiltback at low speeds by reducing the max a lot and then accelerating hard. Probably useful training, but I can imagine the experience will be quite different when it happens unexpectedly at higher speed.

Edited by Kai Drange

7 hours ago, Vellberger said:

The thing is: If you buy a bigger wheel, do you really use the older one any more? I thought keeping it for learning some tricks, which makes more sense on smaller eucs. But in reality I suspect rather chasing around with the fast one. I own my V8F not for long yet. And I would not be able to sell it easily in my nearby, especially it has some scratches. It would be a bad deal. So, a new euc is no question these days. (At least when you ask my wife - if it was up to my, I would have the hole house full of them :-D)

But: If I would own two wheels they could be very different to explain yourself why you have both. In this case you propably use only one of them. If they would be very similar you would probably use both, but wouldn´t need both. So, the question (for me) is how different the newer wheel should be. And I think it probably should be much different to avoid that it is to small after a short time, too. 

Time will tell. I will probably just buy a bigger wheel and see if the V8F still gets usage. Knowing me I will still use V8F sometimes as its fun and playful, great for short local commuting or throw it in the car when going somewhere just in case i need it. The big one will be for longer trips, whole afternoon kind of thing,  where riding is the sole purpose, as opposed to commuting or playing around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 2:37 AM, Vellberger said:

I am 200 lbs and the V8F was fun for me.  I just wish the sweet spot in its battery could be prolonged. There's online information about people expanding the battery by 40% capacity. 

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

yesterday I had my first serious crash with my V8F. Since a few days I had a bit less tire pressure, but I allways forgot to pump it up and honestly, I was just too careless. 

When I rode to work yesterday morning I had to go over gravel for a while. It is normal that sometimes a stone gives a little shock, but one time the shock seams to come trough to my legs. Not very hard bit it felt no good. I drove along, passed a roundabout and got to a pedestrian walk along a industrial ground. Suddenly the wheel pulled to the right. I wondered if i was to stupid to drive and tried turning to the left. Then the wheel pulled to the left even stronger. What the ....! But instead of slowing down I tried to adjust to the right back again, and the wheel was suddenly going so strong to the right side, that I fell off. I guess it was at round about 28 km/h or so. My head smashed in a metal-grid-fence (maybe 4-5mm sticks) of the factory-ground, because I was leaning to the left. Then I was going down, Hands, knee, right hip.

I was very lucky to wear all my usuall gear, such as my full face helmet, wrist-guards and kneepads. So I get up quickly without any injuries. A car driver saw me and asked for help, but I had no scratches. Only some fingertips were getting swollen and hurt a little. (Some bones started saying "hello" at the evening :-) ) After picking up the V8F from the ground I noticed a completelly flat tire. Hmm, I am pretty sure I get a puncture due driving over the gravel bevore. For a moment I was putting the pump out of the bag, but... seriously?... no. So I pulled the trolley handle out and pushed the wheel beside me to come to the office, while the tire squeaked around. Wondering while walking, if driving an EUC is to dangerous. And the answer is still: NO. Is it dangerous at all? For sure! Therefore we are gearing up like ironman. But this was a user misstake. And could happen to all other vehicles, too. 

Ordered a new tube and a Kenda offroad tire. Going to try the tire for winter. Maybe.

And the essence  of the story? Allways watch your tire pressure! ;-)

Keep on riding!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vellberger said:

Hello everybody,

yesterday I had my first serious crash with my V8F. Since a few days I had a bit less tire pressure, but I allways forgot to pump it up and honestly, I was just too careless. 

When I rode to work yesterday morning I had to go over gravel for a while. It is normal that sometimes a stone gives a little shock, but one time the shock seams to come trough to my legs. Not very hard bit it felt no good. I drove along, passed a roundabout and got to a pedestrian walk along a industrial ground. Suddenly the wheel pulled to the right. I wondered if i was to stupid to drive and tried turning to the left. Then the wheel pulled to the left even stronger. What the ....! But instead of slowing down I tried to adjust to the right back again, and the wheel was suddenly going so strong to the right side, that I fell off. I guess it was at round about 28 km/h or so. My head smashed in a metal-grid-fence (maybe 4-5mm sticks) of the factory-ground, because I was leaning to the left. Then I was going down, Hands, knee, right hip.

I was very lucky to wear all my usuall gear, such as my full face helmet, wrist-guards and kneepads. So I get up quickly without any injuries. A car driver saw me and asked for help, but I had no scratches. Only some fingertips were getting swollen and hurt a little. (Some bones started saying "hello" at the evening :-) ) After picking up the V8F from the ground I noticed a completelly flat tire. Hmm, I am pretty sure I get a puncture due driving over the gravel bevore. For a moment I was putting the pump out of the bag, but... seriously?... no. So I pulled the trolley handle out and pushed the wheel beside me to come to the office, while the tire squeaked around. Wondering while walking, if driving an EUC is to dangerous. And the answer is still: NO. Is it dangerous at all? For sure! Therefore we are gearing up like ironman. But this was a user misstake. And could happen to all other vehicles, too. 

Ordered a new tube and a Kenda offroad tire. Going to try the tire for winter. Maybe.

Keep on riding!

Can I ask where you got your new Kenda tire?

Wow thanks for sharing this in such detail and glad you are ok.

So lesson learnt is that when wheel does something unusual like pulling left or right, just immediately slow down and check it correct? And of course wear your gear, which i have to admid i often don't do: Quite often i am too lazy to wear knee and elbow protection, especially for short rides but i think i will do more often from now. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Vellberger said:

Hello everybody,

Keep on riding!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Vellberger said:

Since a few days I had a bit less tire pressure, but I allways forgot to pump it up and honestly, I was just too careless. 

Seems exactly what happened to my gf on the V8. Luckily the tire deflated slowly, so she didn't crash. Since I had to open the wheel anyway, I also also took the opportunity to replace the tire with a winter tire :) . I went for the red version from here. https://www.electricunicycles.eu/16_winter_off_road_tire_(tyre)_for_electric_unicycle_and_bike_(red)_(16x2125)-c__295 

That you can see in this vid: 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:58 PM, Toad said:

I wondered about this, too.  At first blush, it might seem that the zipper's purpose is merely to counterbalance the headlight cutout, so the protective cover is completely neutral with respect to forward-backward inclination.  However, this begs the question of why use a zipper.  So we must consider Inmotion's business model.  And, frankly, it is a very difficult business to make a profit purely on unicycles.  This supports a second theory, which is a perfectly legal tax maneuver, owing to how zippers are not subject to import duty when attached to an electric unicycle.  Also, and I would have to check the specifics, but I believe unicycles are subject to a lower duty when they are only the packing material for a zipper. 

I think the INMOTION cover is designed to fit the V5, V8 and V10. So I guess the zip is to allow for the wider body of the V10. I bought my V8f from MyEWheel in Sofia, Bulgaria..... Excellent service,  and they the threw in the cover free of charge as I was a learner!

6 hours ago, Nostris said:

I think the INMOTION cover is designed to fit the V5, V8 and V10. So I guess the zip is to allow for the wider body of the V10. I bought my V8f from MyEWheel in Sofia, Bulgaria..... Excellent service,  and they the threw in the cover free of charge as I was a learner!

This is false. InMotion makes different covers for the V8 & V10--they look identical, but are objectively different sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of V8f questions. What does SVC stand for?

What is the difference between the Commute mode and the Off-road mode?

what pedal sensitivity do most use when learning, and why? .. I am set on 100%, which is pretty solid, I rather like it.