massiestinymotors

Reckless riding is going to get us banned

5 minutes ago, Nic said:

You are right about culture playing a role in how people act and what they get away with. Its more than a feeling...:w00t2: ... (more than a feeling)... :pooping:

But cultures constantly evolve and It shouldn't be used to excuse bad behaviour.:popcorn:

Your presuming their culture hasn’t “evolved”, perhaps it has,  just not in the way that you’d prefer it.

”bad” is a value judgement. And to explain and name something is very different from “excusing” something. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Your presuming their culture hasn’t “evolved”, perhaps it has,  just not in the way that you’d prefer it.

”bad” is a value judgement. And to explain and name something is very different from “excusing” something. 

You have a point ... what looks bad to an outsider is just normal to a native. And you don't approve of the riding?

About culture ... I was saying that this constantly evolves ... for example if people start showing disapproval of fast riding around pedestrians, then it will slowly stop and come to be unacceptable. That is all. :popcorn:

Edited by Nic

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

...and another guy can also chime in that from experience he was riding in a straight line instead of carving which caused him to relax too much and hit a “dip” with straight legs causing his wheel to crash into someone else. 

Totally missed the point of my reply... But thanks for trying 🤦‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is why I enjoy my modular helmet so much. Whenever I stop to talk with people raise the lid to fully expose my face and eye. And when I'm wearing an open helmet I always take off my glasses when talking. I like to put myself in other peoples shoes - I guess that's what's thought of as being considerate.

But I still enjoy riding in all of my battle gear. Sometimes I'll throw on the cape which has the effect of negating all the gear because people laugh and smile when they see me :D

Marty, what do you mean by a modular helmet?

I've always managed without a helmet so far as I ride relatively slowly and like to be able to see and interact with people like others have said, however recently I've been riding longer distances at a faster speed so I've now ordered a helmet.

I've ordered a full face Steelbird helmet to use on quite rural lanes where I live but I'm thinking it will be too aggressive looking to use near the public so I'm wondering if a simple open helmet may be worth buying to use in the city.

Posted (edited)

Modular is where the chin bar/visor folds up. They shouldnt be ridden around in up position and look no different than a full faced visor helmet when down. I had one on a motorcycle and it was VERY handy for simple town riding. It was a little heavy and suffered wind noise, but at slower speeds it was fine. I sometimes rode with it in up position, tho this negates the safety of it. My current helmet has a removable chin bar, but this is no where near as handy as modular for most purposes. I can definitely see how a bicycle grade lightweight modular helmet, would be a great addition to an euc outfit. Fit it with little ant antennae, a spinning propeller and play circus music from the wheel.... instant disarming of pedestrians. My full face/no visor has a cigarette hanging out of it most times(tho i rarely wear it)... the rednecks around here recognize I MUST be local. I asked my wife and she agreed, its intimidating to see me in full outfit. She thinks the public assumes Im insane either way (geared or not) on an euc and they look dangerous. She conceded that when fully geared it looks dangerous AND mean.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Thanks, funnily enough now I often ride with an old fashioned Victorian gentlemans top hat as a bit of fun. It is good for getting people to interact, smile, wave etc - it is a great ice breaker for people who may otherwise not approve of EUC's.

I'll try and take a video in a day or two :)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Modular is where the chin bar/visor folds up. They shouldnt be ridden around in up position and look no different than a full faced visor helmet when down. I had one on a motorcycle and it was VERY handy for simple town riding. It was a little heavy and suffered wind noise, but at slower speeds it was fine. I sometimes rode with it in up position, tho this negates the safety of it. My current helmet has a removable chin bar, but this is no where near as handy as modular for most purposes. I can definitely see how a bicycle grade lightweight modular helmet, would be a great addition to an euc outfit. Fit it with little ant antennae, a spinning propeller and play circus music from the wheel.... instant disarming of pedestrians. My full face/no visor has a cigarette hanging out of it most times(tho i rarely wear it)... the rednecks around here recognize I MUST be local. :)

Of course, never ride with it up. I'm sorry if I was implying that. If I intimidate people as I ride by, I really don't care. Call me insensitive.

I'm saying that when I interact with with people (which I do when stopped) I raise the lid so they can see me as a person.

Edited by Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Neon EUC said:

Totally missed the point of my reply... But thanks for trying 🤦‍♂️

All I read was you suffered an unfortunate incident and are now generalizing the entire skill set of carving as being bad because of your misfortune. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course, never ride with it up. I'm sorry if I was implying that. If I intimidate people as I ride by, I really don't care. Call me insensitive.

I'm saying that when I interact with with people (which I do when stopped) I raise the lid so they can see me as a person.

I didnt see that you were implying that at all. I know what you meant. I was stating it just to clarify for others. Properly used, a modular doesnt really appear any different than a regular while in motion. So you have to lift it to 'disarm' the public. I rode with mine up on a bike because I didnt give a rats ass. Honestly, the only reason I wore a helmet was it was street law and enforced. Well, to be fair, I would have worn one for the knee dragging trips, or the hi wind long range rides or when I thought rain was coming. Unfortunately, the state I live in, didnt give me much choice. I wore a flea market fake bucket for a decade... it kept the cops off me, but it wasnt fit to even hold itself up. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I have a flip-up helmet with built in Sun Glasses. Too hot to ride in the Summer. I use a Full face BMX helmet.

23 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Good refresher so we don’t loose sight of the original subject.

Yeah, those guys are irresponsible and that is the kind of behavior that will elicit more and more restrictions on our access to streets and bicycle paths. A white t-shirt is all that is between him and massive injury ... just plain stupid.

17 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

@Mike Sacristan, @Darrell Wesh and @Blicky Te️la you guys all seem to have mislaid your moral compasses. I don't think you're doing yourselves any favours by continuing with your "reasoning". There is no excuse for riding like that near to pedestrians, especially other peoples children. Absolutely no excuse.

I agree completely with your statement. Those two riders are completely unskilled, reckless and just plain stupid.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Holy crap :lol: 

I'm going to use that one when one day I need to go to court for a speeding violation.

"I'm sorry, but I am making the roads a safer place. The faster I go, the faster I will be at my destination hence there will be less time spent on the road. Less time spent --> less chance of having an accident"

Pure genius! Now let's find out what the judge will say. Pretty sure they will agree and let me go!

And now we are changing the laws of physics. So with this taken into account any vehicle that swerves from side to side (car, motorcycle, bicycle ...) will have it easier to avoid an accident than someone going in a straight line.

But you are right on one thing though. It does INCREASE reaction time, because good luck moving left when you are hard carving right, compared to someone going in a straight line.

You’re applying my words to all vehicles. I’m only talking about unicycles here. Please stay on topic, you’ll at least appear brighter.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

The laws of physics apply to all vehicles. What makes you think a unicycle is any different from a bicycle, a motorcycle or a car? When turning in a certain direction it will take a lot more effort to change it to another direction than when riding in a straight line. Why an euc is an exception to this rule, especially since it doesn't even have a steering wheel/ any steering whatsoever except our body weight is beyond me.

Thanks for insulting me.

Lmao. Have a good day sir. You lost this argument. 

6 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That's one way of saying you can't give a sound explanation for you reasoning.

Nah, I love debating. Look at my history. If I tell you this, which I rarely do say these things, then the particular discussion isn't even worth my time. 

Any experienced rider knows you can carve harder with more control when you first go opposite the direction you intend to go. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Any experienced rider knows you can carve harder with more control when you first go opposite the direction you intend to go. 

You have a point when referring to taking turns at speed, but I'm not sure this applies to avoiding collisions.:popcorn:

Edited by Nic

1 hour ago, Nic said:

You have a point when referring to taking turns at speed, but I'm not sure this applies to avoiding collisions.:popcorn:

Indeed it does. This is what separates the good from the great. knowing little secrets like this that seem counter intuitive for avoiding things but actually makes it much easier. Let’s not also forget my point about being too relaxed riding in a straight line and not taking stock of your surroundings, unlike someone who is carving has complete awareness of what’s to the right and left of them. 

And let's not forget someone going 40mph being home twice as fast as someone going 20mph, hence reducing the chance of getting in an accident by as much as 50% !!!!!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

And let's not forget someone going 40mph being home twice as fast as someone going 20mph, hence reducing the chance of getting in an accident by as much as 50% !!!!!

Ah. By focusing on and shifting the convo to the weakest part of my assertion I’m glad to see you come to terms with the realization of the rest being true/too hard to argue against.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

Indeed. You are completely right and I sincerely apologise for my misunderstanding of these matters. I hope you accept them and we can come to terms about this.

I am very sorry and will no longer question your wisdom concerning euc riding safety, techniques and behaviour in surroundings where there are lots of pedestrians/children.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Indeed it does. This is what separates the good from the great. knowing little secrets like this that seem counter intuitive for avoiding things but actually makes it much easier. Let’s not also forget my point about being too relaxed riding in a straight line and not taking stock of your surroundings, unlike someone who is carving has complete awareness of what’s to the right and left of them. 

I'd suggest that any marginal advantage gained in carving (which hasn't yet been proven) is lost in the process of increasing your speed in order to shorten the journey duration to lessen the chance of an accident :facepalm:

Edited by Gasmantle