New Motorcycle/Wheel Hauler

On 6/27/2020 at 10:07 PM, D3m0nzz said:

Let me know what you are able to rig up! 

I recently bought some ratchet straps to haul my Nik+ on my FJ09 but am interested to see if you come up with a better way to do it!

I will, I've just ordered the rear rack assembly for the bike to mount a top case on, this Honda stuff is EXPENSIVE,  but good quality, I can easily get a Mten3 in the top case but I might have to loose the lid.  What I'd really like to do is have something that will carry the MCM5 but this will eliminate a top case due to it's size, I'm not opposed to lying the wheel flat on its' side but would rather not, I know sitting upright would be most challenging so not really an option, I have some ideas on a wheel chock and handle support that will let the wheel sit at a 45 degree'ish angle, I'm going to wait til the mounting plate for the top case gets here to see how much real estate I have to work with.  Should be fun:)  

1 hour ago, D3m0nzz said:

I'ma try to rig my Nik up on it's side with ratchet straps through the handle and rim. 

Cool!  Let me know how that works out please.  The Nikola might be a good option, it has a lot of exposed tire to tie down to your rack, I'm slightly hesitatant about the weight of it but don't think that it would be an issue, I know the subframe on our bikes is robust enough, I'm just not sure what the max capacity is for the rack, I think 40-50 lbs would be about as heavy as I'd want to try.  I was just looking at the MCM5, I don't own one but from pics it doesn't appear to have a handle that goes all the way through so that may eliminate that one, damn.

I just checked out some heavy duty milk crates, there is a rectangular one that looks like the MCM5 will fit down into, I'm thinking with some heavy padding and creative straps, it could be made to work pretty well, cheap too...

Edited by RetroThruster

The bike looks fun. How do you like it so far?  

I can't help but think about how cool it would be if the front wheel of the bike became the EUC. Just a continuation of the Batmobile  reduction,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The bike looks fun. How do you like it so far?  

I can't help but think about how cool it would be if the front wheel of the bike became the EUC. Just a continuation of the Batmobile  reduction,

Now that would be awesome!!  We freak people out enough with just the wheels, can't imagine a contraption like that:)

It's a pretty cool bike, I had a 17 model with the DCT transmission and didn't jive with it, this one is a good ole' manual which I prefer.  You're more than welcome to take it for a spin, I still have that little Monkey so we could cruise around, top speed on the Monkey is only around 55 so not a fast bike but good on back roads around here.

• Like 1

I had these on my BMW K1200.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-trekker-outback-case-and-luggage-rack-kit

Now while I did have all three cases, in practice I removed all but one for day to day usage as I found having so much surface area behind the rear axle made the bike handle poorly regardless of whatever weight I packed in there. However, just one hard luggage case was extremely useful while having virtually no notable difference in handling. With all three cases, though, the handling was so bad the front tire would perpetually skip along the pavement at above 90 mph.

18 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I had these on my BMW K1200.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-trekker-outback-case-and-luggage-rack-kit

Now while I did have all three cases, in practice I removed all but one for day to day usage as I found having so much surface area behind the rear axle made the bike handle poorly regardless of whatever weight I packed in there. However, just one hard luggage case was extremely useful while having virtually no notable difference in handling. With all three cases, though, the handling was so bad the front tire would perpetually skip along the pavement at above 90 mph.

Nice set up, I worked for a BMW/Ducat/Triumph dealer for a few years, most of my time was at Honda though, my dream bike would be to outfit the GS-A but man, that's a big bike and the prices are crazy, even the standard GS isn't cheap.  K12's are nice, I rode one for a week or so and really enjoyed it, maybe stiffen the preload on the rear to get the front down but 3 cases on a "sport" bike sort of makes canyon carving difficult with the front high like that.  I'm not a huge fan of side cases, I'll drive a car if I need to carry that much stuff but a top case is always nice.   

• 6 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, Robortwill said:

Hey buddy i am Robortwill. I am also a Motorcycle hauler on Citizenshipper. I love my work. Traveling on bikes/motorcycle is my passion.

That's how i use my part time and earn some money.

BTW nice bike.   

Hello there Robortwill, you are a real wheel hauler I guess, lol, my attempts are just for the mten.  I shipped lots of bikes when I was in the business, when I worked in service, I myself went on many pick-up/drop-off voyages on the eastern side of the US, always fun stuff, wish I still did it at times.  My dad was a car dealer when I was younger and I got to go get cars for him all over the place, super fun for a 19 yr old kid driving new fancy cars (Mercedes).  I still ride off road and on, I now use the motto, "the older I get, the faster I was", lol...  Enjoy that mTen, it's the best!

twisted minds think alike. I made sure to get the Drz400SM model with solid rear frame for passenger. I dont take riders much, but i KNEW I'd use it to haul stuff. Ffwd to now and Im glad I did. My mten easily bungees down to it and my 18L somewhat. Not so sure about the sherman. Should be fun times out here this next summer!

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:20 AM, RetroThruster said:

Cool!  Let me know how that works out please.  The Nikola might be a good option, it has a lot of exposed tire to tie down to your rack, I'm slightly hesitatant about the weight of it but don't think that it would be an issue, I know the subframe on our bikes is robust enough, I'm just not sure what the max capacity is for the rack, I think 40-50 lbs would be about as heavy as I'd want to try.  I was just looking at the MCM5, I don't own one but from pics it doesn't appear to have a handle that goes all the way through so that may eliminate that one, damn.

I just checked out some heavy duty milk crates, there is a rectangular one that looks like the MCM5 will fit down into, I'm thinking with some heavy padding and creative straps, it could be made to work pretty well, cheap too...

It wasn't hard to make the handle pass through, by making a hole in the shell:

RKpiHwR.jpg

Edited by amomymous
  • Like 2