The Veteran Sgt. Sherman Hemsley - Brief Thoughts on the Jeffersons by houseofjob

houseofjob

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have not view your review of the ban-all-euc Veteran wheel yet. Honestly I just think this is not doing anything good to the EUC community. The post on reddit is just what I expect would happen. I think it is a very sad development. 

With great power comes even greater responsibilities. Some one didn't get that bulletin or memo I guess. I am just not impressed by that "pro" ride style giving no thoughts to the surrounding you navigate in. 

As for a tear down I don't thinks the pre-production of the V11 is that interesting anymore, as pedal height/attachment point changed.As for the S18. I really don't care. I am not buying it. I have a V11 on pre-booking so that is where my money is. 

Unless EUCS proliferate in numbers to where they benefit a government's revenue, you won't be seeing any change in that regard anytime soon.  

49 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have not view your review of the ban-all-euc Veteran wheel yet. Honestly I just think this is not doing anything good to the EUC community. The post on reddit is just what I expect would happen. I think it is a very sad development. 

With great power comes even greater responsibilities. Some one didn't get that bulletin or memo I guess. I am just not impressed by that "pro" ride style giving no thoughts to the surrounding you navigate in. 

As for a tear down I don't thinks the pre-production of the V11 is that interesting anymore, as pedal height/attachment point changed.As for the S18. I really don't care. I am not buying it. I have a V11 on pre-booking so that is where my money is. 

You are right in that the court of public opinion requires no evidence to convict, and if you had already made up your mind then thats that.

I personally think that it is impossible to ensure that everyone in the world whom rides an EUC behaves in a way that aligns with my own values, and that the only way to overcome bad press is to create more good press.

I wrote a longer response in the other thread specific to your complains.

Edited by Hsiang
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

I personally think that it is impossible to ensure that everyone in the world whom rides an EUC behaves in a way that aligns with my own values, and that the only way to overcome bad press is to create more good press.

I will briefly reply here to this. My values is one thing.

But in a public area between traffic and pedestrians it is normal to have some law and rules that apply.

There is a time and place for everything. And public traffic has a set of laws. Like it or not. It has nothing to do with values.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Wgm said:

@houseofjob looks like new firmware removed the soft mode as per Marty's new rebuild and test video.   Shame, I wanted that soft mode.

Allegedly, but I don't get the impression Marty rides a lot in soft mode, so will really only be able to tell to what degree when I get my wheel. If it is neutered severely, I will be banging on all doors for a firmware downgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Allegedly, but I don't get the impression Marty rides a lot in soft mode, so will really only be able to tell to what degree when I get my wheel. If it is neutered severely, I will be banging on all doors for a firmware downgrade.

Soft mode certainly still exists, but I can assure you that it's not as soft as on my V1 board. Only you'll be able to judge its usefulness. I'm not a soft mode devotee like yourself :D

15 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

i’d be more concerned over that speed downgrade. Yeah people like @Marty Backe won’t care, but 3kph freespin is 2 mph of headroom you won’t get back. I don’t know about others, I got this wheel to go fast with less fear of cutting out at 45 mph. 

Still not positive this is real. Remember, my battery only charges to ~99.5-volts. I think yours is almost 1-volt more. that may be what's causing the difference.

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Still not positive this is real. Remember, my battery only charges to ~99.5-volts. I think yours is almost 1-volt more. that may be what's causing the difference.

Nope @Declan acoustic-unicyclist actually spins higher than me @ 107.5 kmh and his wheel charges to 99.5V. Mine is the outlier that charges 100.8V. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Nope @Declan acoustic-unicyclist actually spins higher than me @ 107.5 kmh and his wheel charges to 99.5V. Mine is the outlier that charges 100.8V. 

Mine charges 100.8V as well. I've tried 45mph / 72-73kph and did not cut out. My weight is 78kgs with gears

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

While talking to Linnea yesterday, she did confirm that the new firmware was optimized for better steep hill climbing, so I imagine that did sacrifice a little top-end speed. Hopefully in real life scenarios people will never notice.

Except for periodic testing of ones manhood, how many people are actually cruising at 45-mph?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

While talking to Linnea yesterday, she did confirm that the new firmware was optimized for better steep hill climbing, so I imagine that did sacrifice a little top-end speed. Hopefully in real life scenarios people will never notice.

Except for periodic testing of ones manhood, how many people are actually cruising at 45-mph?

me! 

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, Marty Backe said:

how many people are actually cruising at 45-mph?

Me too!

If I were an ewheels customer, I'd be devastated at the loss of speed. 

I weigh 190lb when riding and can fully lean into this wheel with no issue whatsoever. Additionally, it pushes me at 40mph uphill continuously on very steep grades.

My wheel beeps with the 70% alarm at about 41-43mph on a full battery, so I typically cruise just below that point.

• Like 2

The motor is wound for speed, except limiting current to avoid roasting the PCB I don’t see where they’d get any more torque.

I don’t care about top speed (am here for the range) so if we where the so far away we could swap boards (I get the first prod batch, no update yet)

Too bad with the cumbersome update process, I hope online with downgrade option for future boards.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 5:31 AM, houseofjob said:

(oh yeah, I flaked and forgot to bring my spare power button to test, but I spied a few empty 2-pin spots on the board that might be hiding as a live handle disengage port, dunno).

Has anyone tested this out yet? I'm really curious what those spare 2-pin ports are for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will R said:

Has anyone tested this out yet? I'm really curious what those spare 2-pin ports are for.

Not to my knowledge, but if my Sheman comes before someone does, I will definitely be testing it for lift disengage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Me too!

I weigh 190lb when riding and can fully lean into this wheel with no issue whatsoever. Additionally, it pushes me at 40mph uphill continuously on very steep grades.

My wheel beeps with the 70% alarm at about 41-43mph on a full battery, so I typically cruise just below that point.

What people don’t seem to understand is that 2 mph may be the difference between riding 40 or 38 mph @ 20% battery. it’s not all about top speed... Headroom comes in more forms than just cruising 45. If you only ride 25 mph then sure it may not affect you, however MOST people interested in this wheel WILL want to push at least 40 mph. Having another 2 mph between cutout and staying upright is worth a hospital bill and broken bones imo. Why would anyone want LESS headroom? 

And as you and I both know, this wheel is just getting started at 40 mph. It’s amazing how easily the speed comes, and it upped my average riding speed from around 22-23 mph on the Nikola 100V to 26 mph on the Sherman and I always felt in control. It’s a whole new level of wheel that will scare some people who experience it. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, null said:

The motor is wound for speed, except limiting current to avoid roasting the PCB I don’t see where they’d get any more torque.

I don’t care about top speed (am here for the range) so if we where the so far away we could swap boards (I get the first prod batch, no update yet)

Too bad with the cumbersome update process, I hope online with downgrade option for future boards.

Yet it feels more powerful now when climbing steep hills. And they told me that the firmware was modified for more power, not limiting current.

I hear what you're saying but I'm going to stick with my actual observations :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet it feels more powerful now when climbing steep hills. And they told me that the firmware was modified for more power, not limiting current.

I hear what you're saying but I'm going to stick with my actual observations :)

But you have a new motor. It’s entirely possible it was wound for lower kv than the original. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Not to my knowledge, but if my Sheman comes before someone does, I will definitely be testing it for lift disengage.

I really can't see myself lifting the wheel where I'd need the lift cutoff. Maybe I'm missing something :confused1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben Kim said:

But you have a new motor. It’s entirely possible it was wound for lower kv than the original. 

True. Can't wait for you guys who care about speed to get a production Sherman and determine if it's really slower. You only have my single lift-test datapoint.

7 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Me too!

Devastated is such a strong word.

This weekend one of the local riders was getting ~41-mph at 70% alarm with ~50% battery. Still seems pretty good?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

True. Can't wait for you guys who care about speed to get a production Sherman and determine if it's really slower. You only have my single lift-test datapoint.

I received mine July 29 and I have over 800km with it now.  I have all the hardware update. This wheel is really fast. Since I bought this wheel mainly for speed I make sure I have full battery every ride. What I'm worried is trusting this wheel too much as it's really stable/planted above 40mph and it's easy to get used to this kind of speed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I really can't see myself lifting the wheel where I'd need the lift cutoff. Maybe I'm missing something :confused1:

LOL I don’t live in Cali Marty, in tuna can packed NYC, it’s an inevitability that I have to lift my wheel at some point, still a lot of walk up brownstones, restaurants, etc

• Like 2