Tube valve cap?

Paulandjacquelyn

My nb did not have a valve cap.   I've been fighting a slow leak since start.   I added slime yesterday and it seems to have helped but still feels like lost a bit pressure.    I've tightened valve core too.    I'm thinking if core is leaking cap will stop leak.  

Is anyone using cap on valve?  :)

My 9B1 cam with a brass extension.  It does take a bit of effort to get it on the valve, but once on allows me to use any air pump easily.   I can't get to the valve to fill the tire without the extension attached....just my situation.  

Cheers,

Jim

Also had a leak from the beginning and had to fill air every 4 days. Then changed the valve of the tube and after that everything was fine. The valves are less expensive but you need a special tool to change it.

looks like a Schrader valve,  any decent bike store should have replacements. and they might be nice enough to replace it - should take 30 seconds if you can get to it.  or just take the inner tube in, if it is off the wheel.   or cap- it as suggested.  probably a good idea to cap anyway.

Cheers,

Jim

I put a cap on because it helps to keep dust and mud out of the valve. If you don't have one then when you go to fill with air it may push debris down into the valve and cause it to have a slow leak since it no longer seals well. I'm surprised that the cap alone would stop a leak but hey, whatever works! You can get a small pack of 5 plastic caps for less than $1 at Walmart or any auto supply store. You can probably go to a tire store and they will give you one for free!

Archived