the Osprey nest

Well.....in a sense ... I've been hunting for birds the last few weeks with a camera.

I saw a nest atop a 'nesting pole' several days ago in Salisbury Massachusetts and returned this weekend with a camera and tripod. 

20200614111219-IMG-2534.jpg

20200614110736-IMG-2528-2.jpg

Cropped part of a 300mm lens photo.

Google 'Lens' says it's possibly an Osprey.

A search with Google for Osprey nesting sites in that area (Plum Island) with turned up an 'Osprey nest map' website for the area. This nest (near to Newburyport) is recorded as such on the map...which shows many nests.

Nest platforms are most frequently seen as without nest structures.

Screenshot-20200615-120027.png

According to this video from YouTube, the hatched Ospreys eventually flap their wings and take flight.

For the Osprey, the transition to flight from the nest is in stark contrast to a species of gosling which soon after hatching fall (gosling base jump) great distances to the ground after leaping out to follow the parent. The video of the plummeting gosling is kind of gut wrenching....

I watched an Osprey (V22 that is) land on Boston Common years ago. The propwash was so forcefully that several leaf branches from a tree broke off as the V22 Osprey passed several feet above on approach to the landing zone. Maybe it was this one...

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Osprey in the nest shown above have learned to fly...leaving the nest to hunt for fish.

20200731125531-IMG-3222.jpg

Another nest in the town of Gloucester, Massachusetts has three young birds. One of the young birds appeared to be testing it's wings a few days ago.

The young were banded recently and the organization has in the past used telemetry devices as light as 2 grams to monitor flight paths. The Osprey head south and often go as far as South America.

Greenbelt Osprey says they have used a 2 gram telemetry device to track Osprey flights. I wonder if it was this one

A map of several tracks can be seen at

An authority on tracking says that using a tracker has a detrimental effect on the longevity of the bird....otherwise he would affix trackers to any Osprey he could get his hands on.

Edited by Bob Eisenman