Anyone own an Armored Hoodie? Is it worth it?

22 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I tried the Performance Hoodie and the Armored Hoodie today.
The performance hoodie was like riding naked. Insane.
It was 21C and it was too cold. It is 100% polyester so no sticky sweaty stuff going on.
The armored hoodie was warmer and cotton so that would get sticky and wet on a hot day.

When you put an article of clothing on and it makes you even more pretty... then you know you have found something good.
I would choose the performance hoodie over the armored hoodie one million times over and just adjust t-shirt, etc under instead.
Me like shiny.

I wasn't aware they had a reflective performance hoodie, that's really slick. Thanks for the review, definitely keeping this on the radar for when it cools down a bit here.

• Like 2

I wear a Motorcycle Jacket with Elbow and shoulder padding in the chilly weather. I wear a mesh BMX  armored jacket now in the summer. I stay cool if I keep moving. I wear a long sleeve under armor shirt to prevent sunburns.

My Hybrid/Flip up helmet is too hot, I wear an open full face helmet. 

Wrist guards, knee pads, and swat boots. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 7:13 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

They can also help with sizing advice. I am 163cm and weigh 62kg.

Awesome info Mike, thanks for the reviews. I note that you were wearing a large Performance Hoodie when their sizing chart would have had you in an XS or XXS, and they don't accept returns. Confusing. They should update the chart, or the return policy.  I am slightly taller and heavier then you and I think I'd ignore their sizing chart and go for a Medium based on your video. The regular armored hoodie looked great in your video too.

And then there is this stuff from Xlmoto... $89 for a Kevlar hoodie with shoulder elbow and back protection!? Very tempting... I'm so conflicted.... Can't decide....

Edited by Tryptych

Here are my measurements:

chest 98cm (this would be the dictating measurement imo)
body 55cm
sleeve 59cm
hip 88cm
waist (reference) 80cm

163cm tall
62kg

The size small armored hoodie I was wearing in the clip was a good fit bit I am smaller than I have been in many years.
It also did not have the armor in it. It was rather snug and I would have preferred a bit looser fit. Visually the sizing was correct though.
The size medium windreaker jacket (green one I wear in my videos) is a bit large.
The performance hoodie I was wearing in the clip was large with elbows and shoulders in but no back armour.

Following the chest measurement small would seem to be a few cm large but that would even out with armour.
And that corresponds pretty well with my chest measurement.

I just messaged Daniel to discuss this with him.

image.thumb.png.3face2077dfa4d6f8463c8176382f3a9.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tryptych said:

And then there is this stuff from Xlmoto... $89 for a Kevlar hoodie with shoulder elbow and back protection!? Very tempting... I'm so conflicted.... Can't decide....

Contact them regarding the protection and whether it is included or not just to be sure.

I am a size small on this model and I liked the black one.

Here it is in camo:

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I have nothing better to do... and Monika is teaching online Zumba classes today...
I am a tiny, tiny bit sensitive to noise... so time for me to GTFO! :roflmao:

Hahaha I'm the same...I grab the 16X and flee like my life depends on it every time my girlfriend does what I like to call her "clown routine", where she does cardio in front of the TV watching either an incredible annoying, over-the-top cardio "instructor" dude (who I presume has way too many Redbulls before recording his videos, or something less legal...), or and equally incredibly annoying, high-pitched woman (who I could happily tolerate if the TV were muted and I could just focus on the tight-fitting lycra and bouncing [text missing]) :D

90km ride yesterday and 43% battery left.

Nice !!!  :efeeec645d:

Definitely for 25C night rides. 30C day rides would be a challenge even in a t-shirt lol... I end up wearing just a tank top on those days.

Cool! I don't know why I even asked about 30º days...I'm even willing to sacrifice elbow guards anywhere above 28º C...

14 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I tried the Performance Hoodie and the Armored Hoodie today.
The performance hoodie was like riding naked. Insane.
It was 21C and it was too cold. It is 100% polyester so no sticky sweaty stuff going on.
The armored hoodie was warmer and cotton so that would get sticky and wet on a hot day.

When you put an article of clothing on and it makes you even more pretty... then you know you have found something good.
I would choose the performance hoodie over the armored hoodie one million times over and just adjust t-shirt, etc under instead.
Me like shiny.

Nice, thanks a ton for that! Am about to head off to the beach to jump in the water, I don't do well in heat, but I'll watch the video this evening!

Cheers man! :cheers:

P.S. I owe you a reply on the great (as always) comparison you gave me between the Nik+ and the MSP! 

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time @Mike Sacristan to pop by Lazyrolling HQ to show us the hoodies/jackets! I hope the zumba class was over by the time you got home! 😉

Looks like the Performance Hoodie would be perfect for summer night rides! The normal cotton hoodie would make a good purchase too, but 2x Lazyrolling, that's really pushing the budget and feels too much like careless spending. I reckon I'm better off going for the cooler Performance Hoodie and packing a spare long-sleeve shirt in my backpack for in case it gets cooler (I always ride with a backpack, so no issue there). 

I like the idea of the reflective performance hoodie, but the black one is just too sleek-looking...I love it! Looking at sizes though, I'm a bit puzzled because my sizes on the chart suggest I should get an S, but based on your video, an M would suit me much better.

I'm 70 kg, 172 cm tall, 97 cm chest , 64 cm body and 60 cm arm length (or didn't do a great job measuring) :efee612b4b:

Would order one right away, but don't know what's going to happen with my Bohn Armor All-season...it's been stuck at customs for 3 weeks and I have no way of contacting them. Their website crashes when I try to upload the invoice (which Bohn informs me was included on the outside of the box), they don't offer an email address to contact them on and the site, and their contact form says my shipping number is invalid (while it does accept it when looking up the shipment). And their phone no. is only an answering machine, there isn't even an option to get an actual person on the line. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens...:eff0541f4a:

• Like 1

I have an armored hoody size Large that i've only worn literally once that i'd be happy to sell to any reasonable offer. I lost 90 lbs (woop) between ordering it, and it's arrival though so it doesn't fit me at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I have an armored hoody size Large that i've only worn literally once that i'd be happy to sell to any reasonable offer. I lost 90 lbs (woop) between ordering it, and it's arrival though so it doesn't fit me at all.

WTF? Congrats, but how long did it take to arrive???

MY BOHN AIRTEX JACKET IS STILL STUCK AT F***ING CUSTOMS!!! It's been there since June 11 (and was ordered May 27th) :furious: :eff0541f4a:

There's no way of contacting the private company sub-contracted by Spanish postal service; the certificate on their website was expired...when they finally sorted that out, a bug on the site prevented me from uploading the invoice (which was attached to the side of the package in the first place... :eff0541f4a:); their contact form is buggy too and wouldn't let me contact them either, giving me a "shipment not found, message cannot be submitted" error. When searching for the same order on the landing page, it does find it...

Calling them leads to an answering machine with no option of talking to an actual person...if you hit "2 - I don't have a shipment number" in the hopes it'll relay you to a human being, in the next step it asks you to dial your shipment number....

When they finally sorted the upload function out, I got a "Past documentation submission deadline date" error, then back to the contact form. I tried 2 or 3 times/day for a week, using Firefox, Edge, Chrome, you name it, on Windows, Linux and my phone until it finally accepted it. I got an email a week and a half ago saying they'd received the invoice but still required the import form: they gave me an email address to send it to but I've heard nothing from them and the status on the website is unchanged.

The current plan is to send the document every single day, via the website and the email address, until they get sick of me and send the f***ing package just so I'll shut up. Once I've paid the import fee (I think I've overpaid already in terms of frustration), God know how long it'll take to acknowledge receipt of payment and send the package on its way...at this rate, I'll have my summer riding jacket for Xmas :roflmao:

Lesson learned: Don't buy anything outside the EU that isn't shipped via DHL or another reputable courrier service who handles the customs process. US postal service is awful too, the package took a week from Sacramento to LA, another week from LA to Houston, and two days from Houston to Madrid :roflmao:

Anyway, sorry for the rant...needed to blow some steam... 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Merlin Hamlin Hoody.  It has dupont kevlar lining and CE approved armor.  It comes with your typical shoulder and elbow protection and does have back protection(but is very light and flimsy, probably more for skid protection.)  It's very comfortable and feels like I'm not wearing it.  With that being said I live in Texas so during summer it gets pretty hot.  I typically will ride when it's cooler in the morning or evening around 93/94 degrees.  Hoodie feels great and fine for about the first 40 minutes then it starts to get hot.  I'd say it's more of fall/spring hoody.  

• 3 months later...

I just received my Medium LazyRolling Armored hoodie and I'm going to need to sell it or return it - without the pads it's way too small (and I don't think I could actually it my arms in with the pads) and particularly tight around the wrists (a measurement not on the website).  I've got mediums with similar measurements that fit me fine and most larges look like I'm a little kid wearing dad's clothes, so no clue what's up with the fit

6 hours ago, BarrettJ said:

I just received my Medium LazyRolling Armored hoodie and I'm going to need to sell it or return it - without the pads it's way too small (and I don't think I could actually it my arms in with the pads) and particularly tight around the wrists (a measurement not on the website).  I've got mediums with similar measurements that fit me fine and most larges look like I'm a little kid wearing dad's clothes, so no clue what's up with the fit

Good luck with returning it. When I emailed them after mine didn’t fit right they didn’t respond for several days. When I was finally able to get a response they told me they didn’t have a DHL contract for returns and wouldn’t have one for “1 to 4 weeks”. I got nervous about the return window and sent it back at my own expense from the US for $100. They didn’t give a shit at all about much after the initial sale. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:58 AM, Tryptych said:

I broke down and ordered one tonight, a grey armored hoodie, size medium (ignored their chart).

Why do they charge $10 to pre-install the pads for you? Are they that difficult to get in and out?

An update: my armored hoodie was worth every penny. I use it almost every ride now, it's comfortable, really well made, extremely practical.

Two tips:

- ignore their shitty sizing chart, order the size you normally would (medium is perfect for me when their chart would have me in a small or XS)

- order the level 2 pads, not the level 1s (I am a bit ticked off because I never saw the level 2s and didn't know they existed, I would have gotten them)

• Like 1

I stopped looking into Lazyrolling when I realized I couldn't test the fit in-person and switched to looking into hoodies made for motorcycle riders.

I think the motorcycle hoodies are a better value (if it's a perfect fit). For example, this is what I settled on after trying on and returning many different samples:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/street-steel-kickstarter-moto-hoody

Pros:

• It's $140.
  • Already comes with CE Level 2 shoulder and elbow armor.
  • Has a pocket for back armor or you can disregard it if wearing a backpack.
  • The drawcords for tightening the hoody are located on the inside of the neck area rather than the outside so it moves around less at high speeds.
  • The aramid fabric (aka trade name Kevlar) is part of the whole hoodie, rather than just the inside for Lazyrolling (I'm not sure what the benefits are for putting the protective lining inside rather than outside).
  • Easy to return if it doesn't fit.
  • For Lazyrolling you can't replace individual pieces of armor, you have to buy the whole set (elbow, shoulders, back,). Unless you replace pieces using other brands.
  • I prefer not to have thumbholes on the sleeve because it extends the length of the sleeve and using them gets in the way of wrist guards.

1248344283_IMG_7334copy.thumb.jpg.5479c4e43b3b8668c277ba5299ae9489.jpgIMG_7335.thumb.jpeg.37f881cd6a2ff3cbd709a0a10020a022.jpeg

On the other hand, I think it's cool that Lazyrolling has a crash replacement program, one of their hoodies offers wind and waterproofing, and they look pretty cool.

Edit: the hoodie pictured has the armor installed

Edited by rogueone
Edit: the hoodie pictured has the armor installed
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

I have the performance hoodie and yes, it definitely works. Had a pretty narly crash doing about 45 kph on my Apollo ghost and without the hoodie I would have been mangled. I walked away with no broken bones and no lost skin which would not have been the case without it....as others have mentioned, dang I wish I had some hip pads because my hip did pay a painful price.