Tryptych

Anyone own an Armored Hoodie? Is it worth it?

Posted (edited)

I am thinking of getting an Armored Hoodie from Lazy Rolling to supplement the full face helmet, wrist guards, knee and elbow pads, that I already wear.

I would love to hear from some people who own it, is it worth the cost? Do you regret the purchase?

Edited by Tryptych

I have a cheap one that I wear below 18c. I never wear elbow pads so this is a good compromise. It definitely gives me more confidence.

However, I had one big crash and while the pads helped with impact they are no comparison to plastic outerwear. They stick and you get abrasions around them as you slide.

The only benefit to you is the shoulder and back pads as you already wear elbow. You wouldn’t be able to wear elbow pads and the hoody (with elbow pads).

Hope this helps. 😁

A much overlooked area for padding is hips. My hip is still bruised from my fall 8 months ago.

I now always wear armoured shorts. Like cycling shorts with pads under my clothes. 

16 hours ago, RoCan said:

A much overlooked area for padding is hips. My hip is still bruised from my fall 8 months ago.

I now always wear armoured shorts. Like cycling shorts with pads under my clothes. 

+1

Bruce

i wear armoured cycling shorts sometimes under normal shorts but find them a bit constrictive with all that lycra. I need to find some kevlar  cargo pants with built in hip protection .Tried some motorbike pants but knee protectors sit down on ur shins because they are designed for seated riding!:confused1:

On 6/20/2020 at 6:05 PM, Daley1 said:

i wear armoured cycling shorts sometimes under normal shorts but find them a bit constrictive with all that lycra. I need to find some kevlar  cargo pants with built in hip protection .Tried some motorbike pants but knee protectors sit down on ur shins because they are designed for seated riding!:confused1:

I have the G-Form Pro-X Compression Shorts and Padded Compression Shirt. Saved my hips more then once and maybe my ribs one time. 

I'm looking into these next upgrade 

The pad is thicker and also better rear protection. I don't think you need thigh protection but that's up to you!

The Gforms are like underwears... I don't feel them at all and they work as intended.

2 minutes ago, Dubardo said:

You want shoulder protection first then ribcage for your body armor.

For me back protection is the priority and I see myself using this backpack more then a hoodie.

EDIT: Just saw that it was a bakcpack, sorry! LOL Looks good

Edited by Dubardo

With a water system! Awesome stuff.

17 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I decided against the hoodie for now. Instead I've ordered a Leeat 4.5 Hydra 

https://www.leatt.com/shop/chest-protector-4-5-hydra.html

Eventually I want the Hoodie too.

As for butt/hip protection I have a bunch of padded shorts I ordered, still trying to decide which one is best.

That is a beautiful chest protector / back protector / backpack. Awesome stuff!

I buy a lot of my gear from XLMoto. They have quite a large variety of protection.
https://www.xlmoto.com/mc-gear/motorcycle-protection_c1640/protections-shorts_c1647/alpinestars-bionic-freeride-protection-shorts-black_pid-PM-0025987

About the hoodie... XLMoto sells hoodies with aramid lining. Aramid is the generic version of Kevlar. Kevlar is said to be superior.
https://www.xlmoto.com/mc-gear/motorcycle-clothing_c11/motorcycle-jackets_c20/course-hero-aramid-reinforced-hoodie-black_pid-PM-4901112

I have an XLMoto black armoured jacket and a LazyRolling green armoured jacket. I have also tried the LazyRolling hoodie and several other hoodies.

Lazyrolling is in a league of it's own and is a premium brand (at a premium price).
Their performance hoodie is insanely beautiful. Their armoured jacket in green is beautiful as well.
I am not a big fan of the cotton look of hoodies in general although their grey once is very nice.
My green and black jackets are good at 22C and below. They are even great during winter.
If you want to ride in crazy heat then the performance hoodie has a lot of airflow. It also has a glossy look to it which I like.

Simon has ordered the performance hoodie. It has been on backorder forever though.
I am bit too frugal when it comes to these things and tend to stick to the cheaper brands.
Here he is trying it out - timestamp embedded in the YouTube URL:

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Simon has ordered the performance hoodie. 

Great info thanks Mike... Wow... that performance hoodie looks extremely high quality in the video, better then the armored hoodie!  Anyone own that one? Besides looks is there any disadvantage to having the performance hoodie over the armored hoodie?

After watching that video I reaaaaaally want that one, even more then I wanted the armored hoodie! It's gonna be hard to resist.... Damn you Mike!!! :)

I'm going to order one, its just a matter of time.... maybe I'll take the back protector out and wear it with my Leeat 4.5 Hydra....

edit: I just tried to order one... it was in my cart... my address was entered... I only stopped myself when I realized they say there are no refunds or exchanges if it doesn't fit right (only the performance hoodie says this, their other products don't). That's too much of a gamble, especially since their size chart says I'm an XS (or even XXS) when I normally order all my clothing in medium size. They are asking for too much trust.... but I still want it... I sent them an email...

Edited by Tryptych

On 6/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Dubardo said:

I have the G-Form Pro-X Compression Shorts and Padded Compression Shirt. Saved my hips more then once and maybe my ribs one time. 

I'm looking into these next upgrade 

The pad is thicker and also better rear protection. I don't think you need thigh protection but that's up to you!

The Gforms are like underwears... I don't feel them at all and they work as intended.

WTF man, that tumbnail :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Great info thanks Mike... Wow... that performance hoodie looks extremely high quality in the video, better then the armored hoodie!  Anyone own that one? Besides looks is there any disadvantage to having the performance hoodie over the armored hoodie?

After watching that video I reaaaaaally want that one, even more then I wanted the armored hoodie! It's gonna be hard to resist.... Damn you Mike!!! :)

I'm going to order one, its just a matter of time.... maybe I'll take the back protector out and wear it with my Leeat 4.5 Hydra....

edit: I just tried to order one... it was in my cart... my address was entered... I only stopped myself when I realized they say there are no refunds or exchanges if it doesn't fit right (only the performance hoodie says this, their other products don't). That's too much of a gamble, especially since their size chart says I'm an XS (or even XXS) when I normally order all my clothing in medium size. They are asking for too much trust.... but I still want it... I sent them an email...

My pleasure! Yeah the performance hoodie is very slick. The disadvantage is that the performance one being a finer material and all would probably get badly ripped if we were to fall but I cant say for sure. Anyway I just wanted to share because that performance hoodie really caught my eye on how good it looks. The cotton hoodie looks like a high quality cotton hoodie. It has thumb loops too and is very comfy. My friend Stefan owns the armored hoodie and he loves it. I just remember the Toronto summers as so crazy hot and humid. I spent most of the days at Earlscourt swimming pool haha. The biggest advantage to the performance hoodie is that we will actually wear it on a very hot day. I end up with a t-shirt too many times and I get a bit over cautious.

Yeah... the performance hoodie is made on order. I know what you mean about the gamble. I have the luxury of being able to roll to their headquarters and try stuff before I buy. They are pretty quick to answer e-mail... They can also help with sizing advice. I am 163cm and weigh 62kg. So if you want me to swing by them I can do so. Daniel is always happy to have me visit. We added him to our Stockholm Cruisers group a few months ago... since we cruise a lot more than the other e-boarders and he sure loves to cruise!

Daniel is wearing it here and you can see it at the beginning of the clip below.

I also made a highlight clip for Simon. It is unlisted but it shows him trying out the different hoodies and jackets.

Also I want to add that I have been eyeing the Leatt Adventure at XLMoto for way too long lol. Just for a different look... it might come out looking either futuristic or extremely aggressive.
They also have decently priced hoodies and jackets.

https://www.xlmoto.com/search/result?query=leatt adventure&page=1

15 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I rather like the look of this kinda thing but I do wonder if the protection it offers is limited.

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/clothing-safety-protection/products/flex-force-pro-top-full-armour

The protection is good and there is a 2.0 version out there as well with rib protection which is quite rare to see. These are D30 armour I believe and they offer good impact resistance.
They won't slide like the hard plastic ones do though. Still beats sliding on my forearms as I have done a couple of times. Ian is wearing it in his latest S18 vid I believe.

Protection and gear is a rabbit hole all of it's own. :efefc8626c:

We do not want to slide on our skin. We do not want to knock our wrists/hands, elbows and knees on impact. We do not want to knock our heads or faces.
Knees and wrists will usually take the hardest hits. Shoulders as well but there is no saving us there unless we learn to not fall with outstretched arms.
Falling on our asses hurts like hell. Doing it twice in 5 minutes hurts ten times worse. Falling on our backs is just really, really bad news.

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Also I want to add that I have been eyeing the Leatt Adventure at XLMoto for way too long lol. Just for a different look... it might come out looking either futuristic or extremely aggressive.
They also have decently priced hoodies and jackets.

https://www.xlmoto.com/search/result?query=leatt adventure&page=1

The problem I noticed is these things are very personal wrt fitment and if they don't fit correctly they are useless as protection is not optimum. Best is to go to a store and try some stuff on.

I ordered a Bohn Armor All-season Airtex riding shirt, which should do well in hot Spanish weather, but it's stuck at customs and custom's website is even buggier than the KS app and won't allow me to attach the invoice, so it looks like it's going to be returned... :eff0541f4a:

If anyone knows of a similar product, that's equally cool, that can be ordered from the EU, I'd be very grateful. I'm wondering whether the Lazyrolling performance hoodie would be cool enough for Spanish weather 

Just now, Dubardo said:

Oh shit... massive discount!!! 50% off

Prices go up and down all the time... but just now they lowered the prices  bit on that body armour. 
It was 30 bucks more expensive last night... hmm maybe time for me to pull the trigger.
I'm a bit annoyed that they were cheaper in dollars!
XLMoto showroom is 2km from where I live.

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

I ordered a Bohn Armor All-season Airtex riding shirt, which should do well in hot Spanish weather, but it's stuck at customs and custom's website is even buggier than the KS app and won't allow me to attach the invoice, so it looks like it's going to be returned... :eff0541f4a:

If anyone knows of a similar product, that's equally cool, that can be ordered from the EU, I'd be very grateful. I'm wondering whether the Lazyrolling performance hoodie would be cool enough for Spanish weather 

I can go try it out if they have any in stock... we had a very hot week recently but now we are back to +20C.
The point of the performance hoodie is it having very good airflow. They even redesigned and sacrificed the waterproof interior pocket so that it didn't block airflow.

Cotton hoodies are fine but they can get a bit warm and sticky and sweaty.

22 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I can go try it out if they have any in stock... we had a very hot week recently but now we are back to +20C.
The point of the performance hoodie is it having very good airflow. They even redesigned and sacrificed the waterproof interior pocket so that it didn't block airflow.

Cotton hoodies are fine but they can get a bit warm and sticky and sweaty.

That would be great! Thanks man! (but only if you're ever in the vicinity and have nothing better to do).

So you reckon it'd be suitable for 25º C night rides? How about 30º C day rides? :ph34r:

On 7/2/2020 at 3:43 AM, travsformation said:

That would be great! Thanks man! (but only if you're ever in the vicinity and have nothing better to do).

So you reckon it'd be suitable for 25º C night rides? How about 30º C day rides? :ph34r:

I have nothing better to do... and Monika is teaching online Zumba classes today...
I am a tiny, tiny bit sensitive to noise... so time for me to GTFO! :roflmao:

Some fo the guys might want to go for a cruise when they finish work.. but that's hours from now and I have 2664Wh to play with.
90km ride yesterday and 43% battery left.
Some people say he's still rolling...

Definitely for 25C night rides. 30C day rides would be a challenge even in a t-shirt lol... I end up wearing just a tank top on those days.
But it is totally fine as long as you keep on moving.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:32 PM, travsformation said:

That's a bummer to hear, I'm a huge fan of my Bohn All-Season--my neck of the woods is regularly getting up to 105f/40c now! The airflow of the lycra/mesh is phenomenal. One benefit of living in a desert--I can throw a bit of water on the Bohn and it evaporates and cools me off quickly.

Not apples to apples, but when it's cooler I rock a Dapper Defender Armored Hoodie and it breathes well, but it can't remotely keep up with the Bohn in warm weather. I'm considering the performance hoodie myself for weather in between the two.

I tried the Performance Hoodie and the Armored Hoodie today.
The performance hoodie was like riding naked. Insane.
It was 21C and it was too cold. It is 100% polyester so no sticky sweaty stuff going on.
The armored hoodie was warmer and cotton so that would get sticky and wet on a hot day.

When you put an article of clothing on and it makes you even more pretty... then you know you have found something good.
I would choose the performance hoodie over the armored hoodie one million times over and just adjust t-shirt, etc under instead.
Me like shiny.