1.2.9 killed my ninebot. Beware!

Jdestef

1 minute ago, One said:

The new App "Ninebot" (not "Ninedroid") forced me to update the firmware - don´t know the exact text but think it said something like the device won´t work without updating. Should have made a screenshot...
Today I took a ride and after 1,5 km the Ninebot suddenly shut down and I crashed of cause. I think it smelled like something burned inside. The device is dead and I can´t turn it on by now.

My question is now: Who is responsible for this? Ninebot Inc., the distributor, the vendor? Who will pay for the repair or postage?

Sorry to hear that your Ninebot is now on the list of casualties.  

Does your wheel spin easily still?  

Ninebot is taking care of my issue.  I think they will take care of you as well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DangerousDick said:

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the 'extra power' some of the units have - the E+ top speed is around 12.5mph but some are getting over 15mph.  Just may be the hardware isn't up to the job the software is asking of it when 'opened up' to these additional loads.

I'll be out again on mine with 1.2.9 in a bit as it's nice and sunny - for a change! - BUT I'll be taking extra care and wary of anything out of the ordinary.

Either way, there is clearly an issue with certain machines / certain software which needs to be cleared up or nobody will be buying anything from Ninebot again?

Just for the record, the one I've upgraded is an N10 serial and operators within the parameters advertised for the E+ model.  I won't be updating the 'spare' just yet - that's still on V1.2.2 and working perfectly well :)

Interesting theory, but I was standing still when my unit suddenly died, so it wasn't like it was surging to 700+ watts of power or anything.

9 hours ago, DangerousDick said:

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the 'extra power' some of the units have - the E+ top speed is around 12.5mph but some are getting over 15mph.  Just may be the hardware isn't up to the job the software is asking of it when 'opened up' to these additional loads.

I'll be out again on mine with 1.2.9 in a bit as it's nice and sunny - for a change! - BUT I'll be taking extra care and wary of anything out of the ordinary.

Either way, there is clearly an issue with certain machines / certain software which needs to be cleared up or nobody will be buying anything from Ninebot again?

Just for the record, the one I've upgraded is an N10 serial and operators within the parameters advertised for the E+ model.  I won't be updating the 'spare' just yet - that's still on V1.2.2 and working perfectly well :)

Please report n10 or n20 as dangerousdick did .  We know there are differences with motherboard but helps others understand whether to update by serial version.  I'm gonna pull trigger and update to 1.3 and i have n10

Update: i am not achieving speeds of 25mph with 1.3.

(Just kidding)

3 hours ago, Cranium said:

Sorry to hear that your Ninebot is now on the list of casualties.  

Does your wheel spin easily still?  

Ninebot is taking care of my issue.  I think they will take care of you as well.

Just checked the spinning of the wheel - feels very strange! Like it is stopped every few centimeters. And I realized the stronger I try to turn the wheel the stronger this effect is.

Sorry to report - you can add me to the list :( killed mine too - just an hour or so ago, just got back from walking three miles carrying the damned thing!

Just before heading out I did try updating again to V1.3 but it just kept failing so I thought I'd go out anyway - you know what 'thought did' though.

18 hours ago, One said:

Just checked the spinning of the wheel - feels very strange! Like it is stopped every few centimeters. And I realized the stronger I try to turn the wheel the stronger this effect is.

I had the same problem with the 1.2.6. Your motherboard seems dead. Try to unplug the connector of the battery/motherboard and try it again. Otherwise, contact NB or your reseller.

36 minutes ago, DangerousDick said:

Sorry to report - you can add me to the list :( killed mine too - just an hour or so ago, just got back from walking three miles carrying the damned thing!

Just before heading out I did try updating again to V1.3 but it just kept failing so I thought I'd go out anyway - you know what 'thought did' though.

Damn man :(.

1 hour ago, DangerousDick said:

Damn, hope you didn't get hurt. :(  Based on this, I'd recommend anyone who has updated to 1.2.9 to not ride or turn on the unit until a new firmware is available.

24 minutes ago, One said:

Does anybody know if this might also affect the battery? What happens when there's a short in the board - hope the battery is protected for this case...

The BMS inside the battery pack will (or at least should) cut the power entirely in case of a short circuit / too high current output.

42 minutes ago, esaj said:

The BMS inside the battery pack will (or at least should) cut the power entirely in case of a short circuit / too high current output.

My battery got some burn mark on the bms solder. The cells are still at 61.7 volts.  Do you think the bms is still ok?

16ljptf.jpg

Seems like it only affects E+ so far?

Just checked few Chinese Unicycle forums, which mostly are C/C+/E owners and didn't find any complain about it at all, only some complaining about not being able to update to V1.3

49 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

My battery got some burn mark on the bms solder. The cells are still at 61.7 volts.  Do you think the bms is still ok?

Can't tell what has burned, and even if I did, I don't know if it would help much (I'm still re-learning electronics, not that I was that good with them way back either ;)). But as @Gil said, it's not a good thing to have something burned there. If it were for example one (or more) of the protection mosfets, it could have broken so that it's always open (always conducting), meaning it won't protect anything (kind of like the BMS was shunted). One of the worst cases I could think of would be the overcharge-protection being gone, in which case the battery could catch fire during charging... :mellow:

3 minutes ago, esaj said:

Can't tell what has burned, and even if I did, I don't know if it would help much (I'm still re-learning electronics, not that I was that good with them way back either ;)). But @Gil said, it's not a good thing to have something burned there. If it were for example one (or more) of the protection mosfets, it could have broken so that it's always open (always conducting), meaning it won't protect anything (kind of like the BMS was shunted). One of the worst cases I could think of would be the overcharge-protection being gone, in which case the battery could catch fire during charging... :mellow:

I won't use it then and wait for the replacement.

I'm not one for getting on the soapbox, but this is about as irresponsible as I have ever seen.  Multiple 9Bs hav died and no word from corporate, or any cautions from Niinebot US.  What a way to flush your company reputation down the drain!!

Ok, off my soapbox.... 

Cheers,

Jim

Maybe it would be a good idea everybody who had issues could write to service@ninebot.com

So they really notice what happens here (don't know if someone of them is here in the forum).

7 hours ago, One said:

Maybe it would be a good idea everybody who had issues could write to service@ninebot.com

So they really notice what happens here (don't know if someone of them is here in the forum).

The faster way is to use Skype and search for user: Ninebot -1 

15 hours ago, esaj said:

Damn, hope you didn't get hurt. :(  Based on this, I'd recommend anyone who has updated to 1.2.9 to not ride or turn on the unit until a new firmware is available.

No, lucky for me I'm a bit more 'agile' than some but a few years time I might not be so lucky :) thanks for the concern.

23 hours ago, Bordello said:

Dear all,

my E+ is dead because of the 1.2.9 Update also. I already wrote to service@ninebot.com and spoke to my seller in germany, I will keep you up with the infos i get.

Best regards

Ninebot in germany is taking care of my issue. I will send them my device for repairing.

But atm it is unsettled who will pay for the transport - at least it weights 14,2 KG and has is worth over 1000 €, i think transport with insurance is over 100€ in in and for germany.

The story continues :)

Best regards

• esaj unpinned this topic

Archived