Is it safe to put EUC (Gotway EUC) in the car summer?

I asked this in the past as well. What temperature in your car? Not being a smartass, but the temps in a car in the southern USA in broad sunlight, can reach near 200 degrees. The same car near Canada probably only reaches 140 degrees.  I just KNOW I'll eventually be leaving a wheel and covering up, in a 150degrees+ car for sure. I wonder if those black coated wheels are gna like it? Ironically, my car is worth LESS than my wheel. DUnno what the fire department would charge if a wheel decided to catch the car and gas tank on fire.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

i’d put the wheel in the back seat since the cabin is air conditioned. Would not leave one in there unattended in a parked car. 

Air conditioning is for weenies! I have air, but only HAVE to use it for foggy windows. We dont run air in our house in Southern usa either :)    260degrees F sounds good to me. I dont think my car gets that hot when closed up in the sun. I doubt anyone really WANTS to leave a wheel in the closed and locked car, but sometimes when you travel, this shit happens.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I bought a white car more than a decade ago despite not liking the color, and was then surprised how much cooler white cars are in the summer. If you have those windshield cover reflector thingies, then your car stays quite cool for hours, especially if you cover your wheel.

In St Louis, cars are broken in an average of 40 times per day, rising to about 150 times during the weekends. You'll often see a row of cars broken into. Hence, a lot of people including me simply roll down all windows and remove everything from inside the car during short term parking downtown. Homeless bums will indifferently cause $500 worth of damage to get $2 worth of change.

So while a wheel might be very useful in an urban center, the transportation device to get you there is decidedly more vulnerable. I think wheels are far more suitable for public transportation + wheel rather than private transportation + wheel.

• Like 1

I've been placing my wheel in my car trunk covered with a mat and a thick jacket over it. Hottest temperature outdoor was 95f and when I felt the wheel with bodyguard on, it was still cool ish.  Depending how well I covered it, sometimes the pedal does get warm. I try to avoid full charge in my trunk if possible. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, LanghamP said:

In St Louis, cars are broken in an average of 40 times per day, rising to about 150 times during the weekends. You'll often see a row of cars broken into. Hence, a lot of people including me simply roll down all windows and remove everything from inside the car during short term parking downtown. Homeless bums will indifferently cause $500 worth of damage to get $2 worth of change

I hear ya on that. I once parked my car in long term airport garage parking. When I arrived back, I found my car door was ajar and battery was dead, but nothing missing. I noticed the cars all alongside me had busted windows.... Leaving a car empty and unlocked, saved me some glass expenses. Typically I buy old and ugly cars..  You dont get carjacked, and mostly avoided, when you drive a total piece of shit. I'm thinking the cops try to ignore me too, as how can someone driving shit like this, afford to pay a ticket?!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I had an old 81 Chrysler Córdoba that I used as a beater car. It actually ran fairly nice but I was ready to get rid of it and scrap metal prices were low. It was not worth anything so I sighed the title and placed it in the glove compartment with a sign on the widow that said free car title in the glove compartment. I left the keys in it and drove around for three months. ..... No takers. :facepalm:   

You should have said... car for $10. Just like when selling animals. If you dont charge at least $5, you get the damn things back. I can't believe no teenagers snagged your car.. hell, I'd have had at least $20 worth of fun out of it, specially if you put ANY gas in it. Times have changed i guess....

• Like 1

In this country I’m sojourning, these days heat up to 91-2F daytime even though it is not Yet in full swing of its hotness.

Such hotness didn’t cause my Gotway EUC yet, but I’m worried so much.

It is inevitable for me to carry most of time EUC in the car due to my work.

Thanks for many replies and concerns, friends!

I hoped to get some criterion to guide me in this case, for I found some here are experts in electronics and battery.

Thanks in advance again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belly laughing said:

In this country I’m sojourning, these days heat up to 91-2F daytime even though it is not Yet in full swing of its hotness.

Such hotness didn’t cause my Gotway EUC yet, but I’m worried so much.

It is inevitable for me to carry most of time EUC in the car due to my work.

Thanks for many replies and concerns, friends!

I hoped to get some criterion to guide me in this case, for I found some here are experts in electronics and battery.

Thanks in advance again.

Good to hear from you in Singapore.  :cheers:   If you have to keep your EUC in you car and you are concerned. I would keep it in the lowest place in the car. I would vent the top of the car. Window or sun roof slightly open. I would park in the shade or on the shaded side of a larger vehicle.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I would park in the shade or on the shaded side of a larger vehicle.  

+1! Dircect sunlight at the car versus shade should make the difference!

Unfortionately shades normally move....

I'd imagine that tossing one of those reflective sun shades over it while its in your floor, could help. I'd presume the passenger floor would be safer, as the fuel tank isnt up there.  But hell, we've seen what happens, front or back may not make much difference.

1 hour ago, Mr. Thompson said:

Wake up folks. A car is a closed thermal system, an oven. No amount of insulation will protect the contents of an oven. 

Its pretty well established that direct sunlight thru a windshield, will heat something much more than the ambient temperature of the air around it alone. I would suspect that what you are implying is that ANY efforts to minimize direct sunlight (conspiracy of the windshield shade companies) on an object, makes no difference to the overall heat the object is receiving? In MY oven, the things I place too closely to the element of heat (coils), get hotter than the things that are further away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Thompson said:

Wake up folks. A car is a closed thermal system, an oven. No amount of insulation will protect the contents of an oven. 

You are right with the insulation - insulation can just gain some time, but

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I would suspect that what you are implying is that ANY efforts to minimize direct sunlight (conspiracy of the windshield shade companies) on an object, makes no difference to the overall heat the object is receiving?

by reflecting some part of the energy instead of absorbing it makes the difference!

So it's no closed system we are looking at.

Windshield shades and car colors (black vs white), like mentioned before lead to very different results!

Found some (european) websites stating as rule of thumb that in summertime in direct sunlight temperatures rises about one degree celcius per minute.

Windshield shades, car color, sun angle (month of year, latitude) will change this rule of thumb number. 

Imvho with an EUC in the car the only solution is parking in the shade - if it's longer than a couple of minutes!

Ps.: I have never used windshield shades - so i can't really estimate their efficiency.

personally i have a simple bed sheet, witch is white, and i apply it on the car with electrical wire, it reduce A LOT the heat, but the best is the aluminum reflective... witch it's tale loot more place in the car, than the bed set, (also i have an simple water sprayer, user full in summer for refreshing my "human face" in case of a fire, i use the twice stuffs to put fire out, witch work really well !)

- Remember that Metal absorb looooots of heat... and a windows, allow to pass like 1000W / m2 of sun, soo pretty lot of energy ... without airfolw, more temperature

Edited by Cody

Insulation slows the transfer of heat. If you have enough insulation and no air transfer, you can slow the rise of temperature of the wheel. I’ve left a cooler in the back seat of a car with ice and bottled water in it with blankets completely covering it up and there was still ice in there at the end of the day. 

If you need to leave your wheel in your hot car often, build yourself an insulated container to put your wheel in that is also near air tight. That 2” thick rigid blue foam insulation has an R10 rating. (5 per inch). So if you double it to 4”, you get R20. And to even slow the rise in temperature more, fill the inside space with room temperature strong water bottles that don’t leak so that the mass inside is larger so that it can absorb more heat without increasing its temperature as much. 

You can also do something like this video if you can find suitable sized coolers and containers. 

Edited by Hal Farrenkopf
  • Like 1

A car is a solar oven. Lighter exterior colors and reflective materials under the glass will slow the radiant heat absorbtion but at some point as mentioned earlier, and rather quickly stasis is reached. Regardless of vehicle color or reflective materials, internal temperatures are not healthy. The solar roof option on a Prius powers the ventilation system to exhaust hot air while the car is parked to combat this. We still have one pearl white one left in our driveway, no soul but a fantastic appliance. After 20 minutes in the hot central Kalifornia summer sun it's just as hot inside as a pearl white Prius without the solar powered ventilation system. The surface area acquiring radiant heat overpowers Toyota's marketing attempt. 

It is interesting that this is the opposite of the problem we have with cooling the electronics and the batteries in our wheels. Inside the wheel we have a closed system, much like a crappy standard aviation package where are the electronics are sealed without the opportunity for internal heat to escape other than radiating though the metal case, our wheels by comparison have a glorious insulating plastic. Unlike the aviation world, wheel manufacturers have the opportunity to provide appropriate levels of outside air exchange to remove the heat. Hopefully they are reading this. As an enthusiast my services are available without charge, faceplant insurance. :D

My Mitten lives indoors. On super hot days unless I am working in the shop with the AC on, my Dualtron Thunder and my four foot tall roller chest of RC batteries migrate from the shop to the house to chill.

Edited by Mr. Thompson
Grammer, dosen't anybody care these days?!!!
  • Like 1

I'm relying on the cassette tape test...   I think it works for cd's as well. Leave a CD or cassette on the dash of your car or in the seat where direct sunlight can hit it. Leave another on the rear floor board. Go to a weekend festival in the south and forget to stumble back to the car for two days(as if you even remember where you parked it). Once you do eventually mosey/fall your way back to the ole station wagon, try to play a cassette off the dash. Oh wait, its warped and melted to shit... there goes my iron maiden jams! Luckily the "flock of seagulls" cassette in the back will still play. As you drive away, pissed off that you have to listen to this crap, youll remember that somehow direct sunlight totally sucks ass for memorex products.. Dis is one o dem totally scientifierfic tests that have been submitten to da jurnals and stuffs. *Skynard Rulez!!!:whistling:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1