MSP Case rubbing?

If it's new I would try to get it resolved through the vendor, that's a defect. I see you're in Hawaii so that may not be possible...

I had that problem emerge after a couple years/ tire changes on my 84V Msuper, and it was pretty tricky to solve. I figured the shells must have shifted on the pedal brackets, so I loosened them and tried to re-align, but that didn't work. I ultimately had to take off one of the pedal brackets and I sanded the last spacer before the motor down into a slant to correct the tilt; as in I went from "l l" to "/ l", using calipers and a sanding stone to make sure I was keeping it "flat" as I slanted one of the faces.

It took some effort, but it worked.

Edit: I also added some steel strips behind the axle shims to match the amount of material I removed, so the bracket was held at the adjusted angle by the nut assembly as well as the steel plate that goes between it and the spacer.

Edited by tudordewolf
  • Like 1

That's currently happening to my MSP. I've been taking turns faster and dropping tire pressure, which started causing the issue (currently @30 psi). I've noticed rubbing when I put pressure on the right side of the case but it goes away at 40 psi.

I've deflated the tire and tried to center it according to some of the instructions posted here, which helped center the tire but didn't fix the rubbing. I'm not excited at the prospect of having to disassemble it and sand it this early though good to know that's an option.

36 minutes ago, BoseHeadphones said:

That's currently happening to my MSP. I've been taking turns faster and dropping tire pressure, which started causing the issue (currently @30 psi). I've noticed rubbing when I put pressure on the right side of the case but it goes away at 40 psi.

I've deflated the tire and tried to center it according to some of the instructions posted here, which helped center the tire but didn't fix the rubbing. I'm not excited at the prospect of having to disassemble it and sand it this early though good to know that's an option.

Interestingly, mine was on the right side too, I wonder if most of them bias that way. The electronics are on that side, which meant I had to tackle the problem from the left side which wound up working out; by leaning it in closer to the tire it pushed the right side out.

I really exhausted my other options first, including riding it gently for a few weeks, until I read a post here that the tire would eventually eat through the plastic. I wasn't excited about removing and re-torquing an axle nut - I actually built a little jig out of 2x4's to brace the bracket with my legs while I removed the nut with an 18" socket wrench...

Edited by tudordewolf

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 3:49 AM, Preston Palmer said:

New MSP (2500w) arrived today.  Case has a rub when riding one footed, only on one side.  Has anyone experienced this? If so what is the fix??

Same for me. 28.5.2020 Qc control. MSP How you fix this ? What is you result?

After reseating the tire wasn't enough, I wound up adjusting the shell by loosening the pedal hangers and applying a bit of pressure. That was enough to resolve my rubbing issue. Instructions courtesy of mrelwood:

• Like 1