Best Adhesive For Re-Attaching Pads

gon2fast

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Hello all,

Simple question, what is the best adhesive to use to re-attach side pads (Trying to expand the padding on my MSP).

Thanks everyone!

I bought this is supposed to be good for lots of different applications, I'll update tomoz when I stick some pads on

tesa UK Strong Double Sided Adhesive Tape for Fixing Carpets, 25 m x 50 mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0072HK9JQ/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_Aza2EbWHPXFV6

• Like 1

On my MCM5 I used UHU POR on the pad, left it ten minutes then applied the 3m tape (4229P) to it.  I did it in stages as too large to do in one hit, did the edges first then the inside, a little like how I butter my toast.  Let it dry for 24 hours then trimmed and removed the remaining side and stuck them on. Not lifted as yet after 300 miles.  The POR has to be applied quick and even with a tool not your finger or it goes off as you apply it and make sure it's all covered.

I couldn't get any double sided tape to stick to the pad hence I tried this and it seems to be fine. 

• Like 1

no idea if it's the best - but if you are handy with a calk gun, liquid nails Fuze-it All Surface Construction Adhesive is a very effective adhesive.  It cures flexible and sticks to almost everything.  Its odor also isn't bad.  I arrived on this product because I couldn't get anything to stick to the black Kingsong 18XL shell plastic.  I tried three kinds of double stick tape (including industrial strength 3M), and none bonded to the surface of that black plastic - not right away, not after sitting for days (tested).  My solution ended up being using the liquid nails to glue loop velcro to the shell, then I could use hook on anything I wanted to mount, or stick on.  The liquid nails also works really well on foam parts (this is what I glued the hook velcro to).

worth noting I had to use a drill to open both containers of liquid nails I bought (the piercing rod on the gun wasn't effective) - and using a calk gun takes a little practice to get the right application.  I found an ultra thin layer worked, but not as well as a slightly more generous layer of the glue.  I can't speak to other plastics and wheel shells, but on the 18XL the Liquid Nails works, but it also can be scraped/peeled off with relative ease too - which is nice if I ever want to remove the loop velcro from the shell.

amazon liquid nailes.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My favorite is E6000 available at just about any hardware store in the USA.  I would call it the industrial version of rubber cement.  Holds really well on plastics/rubber, etc, but if you do need to remove it, you usually can, without chemicals.