Veteran Sherman questions before purchase

Ben Kim

Hi, looking at buying one of these but I have some questions/concerns:

- Is there a lift switch in the trolley?
- I understand it has an LCD for data and calibration, will there still be bluetooth connectivity with the apps? (euc.world/DarknessBot)
- Is there an option to fit this wheel with a street/road tire?
- Are there any speakers? (I don't think so)
- Any seat option? 
- Is there any speed warning via alarm or tiltback function? 
- What is the standard warranty being offered? 

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I have some answers to these questions from the company:

The wheel has a bluetooth module installed, BUT there is no app for it currently.  (Can probably get on with euc.world / DarknessBot once they figure it out)  Seat is being planned, but not currently available.  Speed warning system is going to be similar to Gotway (5 beeps 80%, etc).  The tire is reasonably street-friendly, so no it will only come with the one option.  No speakers.  No lift sensor. 

Oh....Thank you so much for providing me with information about the curiosity of consumers who want to buy..:thumbup:

There is no exclusive app for Battalion at the moment. I wonder if the public app , euc world , and Darkness app can be linked.

I thought the seat would be difficult because of the interference of the LCD window and trolley,They say it's not available at the moment....Well.

You don't even have a speaker. So we're going to be able to get through the wind noise at high speeds.I wonder how loud the alarm will be.

It's an off-road type tire, as the product spec came out. If you're road-friendly,On-road, off-road.

There's no lift sensor.It's a folding trolley, so it seems like it's a bit technically difficult to insert the sensor's function.

The needs of the function may vary depending on the user's inclination, but overall, I think it's a bit of a classic electric wheel.. :efefc8626c:

(The feeling of MSX that didn't work before??, but there was a Godway app.)

Once again, thank you for providing good information about the new electric wheel.. :efee47c9c8:

It was very helpful before purchasing the product..:cheers:

The trolley probably isn’t for lifting anyway, the two roll cage ends should be (better considering the weight)

I’m curious about:
- battery safety: better put together than Ali sellers? Safe BMS?
- Would it support some rain?
- What type of range could be possible with conservative riding?
- Firmware updatable in the future or connecting to the board? Customizable?

I’m interested but mainly for the Wh for long range trips, not as much the off-road agressive riding. (Can be usefull in city traffic though) My 18xl with 1550Wh gets me a good 100km. The Sherman probably don’t take the battery down to 3V, weights 10Kg more and have a beefier motor, so I worry the range wouldn’t be that much more. (At least not 2x)

Edited by null

11 minutes ago, null said:

The trolley probably isn’t for lifting anyway, the two roll cage ends should be (better considering the weight)

I’m curious about:
- battery safety: better put together than Ali sellers? Safe BMS?
- Would it support some rain?
- What type of range could be possible with conservative riding?
- Firmware updatable in the future or connecting to the board? Customizable?

I’m interested but mainly for the Wh for long range trips, not as much the off-road agressive riding. (Can be usefull in city traffic though) My 18xl with 1550Wh gets me a good 100km. The Sherman probably don’t take the battery down to 3V, weights 10Kg more and have a beefier motor, so I worry the range wouldn’t be that much more. (At least not 2x)

From what I understand, the control board handles BMS function which is interesting, if you saw the photo of this wheel with the cover open, you'd see that there are BMS lines coming out of the pack leading up to where it would presumably be the control board.  I would imagine this wheel will be about as waterproof as any other wheel on the market (light rain ok, not so much downpours or submersion).

Using a conservative 25Wh /mi figure (should be good for around 18 mph, this wheel should be good for 128 miles or 205 km.  The way I ride, which means sustained 35+ mph riding over long distance, I'd use a 50Wh /mi figure, coming out to roughly 64 miles.  

If you look at the spec sheet for this wheel, you'll see that the low voltage cutoff is 74.5V which equates to about 3.1V /cell.  This is lower than Gotway's cutoff of 3.3V /cell and should equate to a few more miles if needed. With that said, I think I found my next wheel as it ticks most of the boxes (highest top speed 100V wheel, great range, built for rugged use).  The only thing I am missing is a seat, but that is something I can fabricate as a temporary solution while Veteran designs one (they said it's in the works).

I'm pretty torn between this wheel and the Monster Pro, but if both turn out to be amazing, I'll simply buy both.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lindsey said:

Oh....Thank you so much for providing me with information about the curiosity of consumers who want to buy..:thumbup:

There is no exclusive app for Battalion at the moment. I wonder if the public app , euc world , and Darkness app can be linked.

I thought the seat would be difficult because of the interference of the LCD window and trolley,They say it's not available at the moment....Well.

You don't even have a speaker. So we're going to be able to get through the wind noise at high speeds.I wonder how loud the alarm will be.

It's an off-road type tire, as the product spec came out. If you're road-friendly,On-road, off-road.

There's no lift sensor.It's a folding trolley, so it seems like it's a bit technically difficult to insert the sensor's function.

The needs of the function may vary depending on the user's inclination, but overall, I think it's a bit of a classic electric wheel.. :efefc8626c:

(The feeling of MSX that didn't work before??, but there was a Godway app.)

Once again, thank you for providing good information about the new electric wheel.. :efee47c9c8:

It was very helpful before purchasing the product..:cheers:

There will be a buzzer inside the wheel like any other wheel for the alarm; they never came out over bluetooth, unless you meant speed warnings from a third party app? 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:39 PM, Ben Kim said:

I have some answers to these questions from the company:

The wheel has a bluetooth module installed, BUT there is no app for it currently.  (Can probably get on with euc.world / DarknessBot once they figure it out)  Seat is being planned, but not currently available.  Speed warning system is going to be similar to Gotway (5 beeps 80%, etc).  The tire is reasonably street-friendly, so no it will only come with the one option.  No speakers.  No lift sensor. 

How did you contact the company? The email provided on the spec sheet? I emailed them, but have yet to hear back from them.

2 hours ago, shwinston said:

How did you contact the company? The email provided on the spec sheet? I emailed them, but have yet to hear back from them.

I contacted Linnea Lin on Facebook directly.  I have my order in already from China.  Can't wait! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shwinston said:

@Ben Kim You ordered directly from them? Are there advantages to doing that as opposed through a vendor?

I bought mine from a chinese vendor on Aliexpress - Veteran doesn’t sell direct to consumer they have designated eWheels official vendor for the United States. 

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I bought mine from a chinese vendor on Aliexpress - Veteran doesn’t sell direct to consumer they have designated eWheels official vendor for the United States. 

oh yeah! veteran owners unite!  :clap3:

• Like 1

A post on the r/unicycle subreddit say the new wheel has 50mph topspeed and 116 miles of range as its official stats, apparently quoted directly from an answer of the company to a question a redditor sent them.

Yes, that was the post. I was just surprised I found that info on reddit and not on here.

Edit: never  mind, I just saw that you posted it in the other thread in this subforum.

Edited by mhpr262

• 1 month later...

Ive ordered a Sherman and  waiting to clear customs . Are there different batchs with different internals? Marty cooked his one and wondering if they are evolving it, to stop it from dying in extreme conditions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 12:36 AM, Daley1 said:

Ive ordered a Sherman and  waiting to clear customs . Are there different batchs with different internals? Marty cooked his one and wondering if they are evolving it, to stop it from dying in extreme conditions?

Yes. 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:36 AM, Daley1 said:

You will have to ask your supplier as to which batch you got

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to this, but a couple of videos on the tire question.

Kuji Rolls puts a street tire on...

... and does a head-to-head comparison with the knobbly tire

tl;dw the street tire handles better at lower speeds but the knobbly tire is more stable at higher speeds. Both riders in the second vid concluded they'd stick with the knobbly but they both have a preference for higher speeds so YMMV.

Kuji has quite a nasty crash at 6.35 (slo mo analysis of what went wrong from 7.54) in the second video. He blames the situation not the wheel but I don't think you can discount the possibility that the knobbly tire would have handled it better (and that this may be why Veteran put the knobbly tire on a street wheel).