Tesla Motor Noise and Battery Charge Questions

I have a ~2 year old Tesla roughly 2400km. Recently, I replaced the tire and there is now a weird groaning noise when idle. A recording of this can be found in the link below. Does anyone have thoughts on the cause of this issue? The wheel rides absolutely perfectly otherwise, and I can routinely cruise in the upper 20's no problem.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TrjQHW2VBrbimLo39

My second question is regarding battery wear/voltage. When I first got the wheel, it never charged higher than ~95% according to the Wheelinfo app. Today it charges to roughly ~90% on average (82 volts), but sometimes it'll charge to 95%. The percent it charges to depends on how far the battery was discharged during the prior ride. If I only discharge it to 70%, sometimes it won't even charge back to 80% before the light turns green. Any thoughts or explanations on this behavior? Even with battery degredation, shouldn't I still expect the wheel to charge to 84 volts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info.

Edited by OhPardonMe

7 hours ago, GameKing said:

I have a ~2 year old Tesla roughly 2400km. As long as I've owned the wheel, there has always been a weird motor "groaning" noise when idle. Recently, I replaced the tire and the noise has become significantly worse. A recording of this can be found in the link below. Does anyone have thoughts on the cause of this issue? The wheel rides absolutely perfectly otherwise, and I can routinely cruise in the upper 20's no problem.

This noise is not normal. Please open the wheel and make sure mainboard/controller is secured locked in place.

7 hours ago, GameKing said:

My second question is regarding battery wear/voltage. When I first got the wheel, it never charged higher than ~95% according to the Wheelinfo app. Today it charges to roughly ~90% on average (82 volts), but sometimes it'll charge to 95%. The percent it charges to depends on how far the battery was discharged during the prior ride. If I only discharge it to 70%, sometimes it won't even charge back to 80% before the light turns green. Any thoughts or explanations on this behavior? Even with battery degredation, shouldn't I still expect the wheel to charge to 84 volts?

If you have knowlade and tools you can open the wheel, open each battery pack and measure voltage of each battery section. Voltage of each battery section should be almost the same (+/- 0.01V). To be 100% battery is fine you can do that after full charging and after discharging the wheel to at least 30-40%. 

• Like 1

The noise is an indication that you have something loose. It could be the board, screws that hold the body to the pedal hangers, axle bolts. Keep in mind that just because the screws or nuts are tight, it does not mean that the part is being held securely. 

The board is working overtime to try to balance but the balance acceptance point keeps moving. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

I'll pull it apart later and see what I can find. There was 1 screw behind the trolley handle that I missed which broke when taking the case apart the first time. There was also a piece of duct tape holding the 2 sides of the case together directly underneath the board that I was not able to replace when putting it back together. I know that the board is in the correct grooves and the rest of the case is tight. 

Is everyone in general agreeance that the sound is a sign of something loose in the case and not an issue with the motor? 

9 hours ago, GameKing said:

Theoretically it could be the charger not delivering full voltage. But your description sound very much like bad cells.

You should look in any case to get it charging to 84V again or replace the bad battery pack.

• Like 1

@Chriull, so I just checked my charger voltage and it is outputting 81.7v which is actually really consistent with the typical full charge voltage of my wheel. Is it possible for wheel to fully charge to 84v if the charge is outputting a lower voltage? 

Edited by GameKing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

That would explain the charging problem. No, you would not be able to fully charge with that voltage. The charger voltage is typically 84.2 volts.

Cool. I'll consider this a feature then 😁. Probably better for battery longevity anyway 

• Like 2

So, I took the battery covers off, nothing is immediately jumping out at me as to what could be causing the idle groan/shake.

One observation I did have is that the wheel is definitely trying to rebalance itself. When this groaning is going on, the pedals start to tilt back, the same way that the wheel would do if on a really low battery. 

The control board is secure in it's grooves within the case. I've tried a recalibration through the app which didn't help. I'm pretty stumped. 

9 hours ago, GameKing said:

Started this thread with possible bad motor and batteries and all good now 👍

Happy to hear that. Keep charger on after the lights turn green and you will add few more % to your battery charge level.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:01 AM, Meserias said:

could you please share with us how exactly you fix it ?

The control board was apparently just loose. Even though it was snug within the grooves, any play/movement/vibration at all will make the gyro sensor not happy. 

"The solution was very simple - tighten the screws securing the PCB, by inserting rubber washers. The PCB vibration was causing the gyro sensor going crazy."

Edited by GameKing

• 3 weeks later...

21 hours ago, Jonathan Taylor said:

What size rubber washers are needed to tighten the control board?  My Tesla V2 does the same thing and in my month of ownership I thought it was normal.:blink1:

Tesla V2.... that one with 1480Wh from AliExpress or original one ?

Edited by Meserias