Has any one tried the new firmware V1.2.9?

ninebot one p

I'm running the 1.2.9 firmware because I didn't know any better, the app wanted to update when I first turned it on and I figured, make it so. 

I've ridden the ninebot one P #N10 for 15 miles on this upgrade and everything is operating well, today the ninedroid app wants to upgrade again and the lights are not working. The bot still operates normally other than the lights right now. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1RadWerkstatt has also warned about 1.2.9 on Friday, Google translate of original German text:

!! WARNING !! NINEBOT DRIVER 
new firmware 1.2.9 NOT INSTALL

Control goes while driving suddenly for no reason. Also damage to the motherboard are possible! Update not perform!

Generally perform updates after release!

38 minutes ago, DangerousDick said:

So, most likely the damage is already done then - even though I haven't had a failure, the wear/tear INSIDE the critical components cannot be seen until it's too late :(

Maybe you should immediately upgrade to firmware 1.30. The damage might not have affected all units.

55 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Maybe you should immediately upgrade to firmware 1.30. The damage might not have affected all units.

Has anybody had any success actually upgrading to 1.3, or is this still just a placeholder?  

Cheers,

Jim

22 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

I must have missed 1.2.8 lol.  I wonder if n10 vs n20 is playing a part in update issues?

Mine was an N10, but the mobo was replaced, followed by the motor.  I would assume it was replaced by mobo/motor meant for N10 specs, but then again I would also assume that they wouldn't release firmware that would nuke wheels, so......

I also upgraded to 1.2.9 by using the Ninebot-App (not Ninedroid). In this App no version or history is being displayed.

After riding my E+ for 1,5 kilometers the Ninebot suddenly shut down, I crashed. Noticed the device smelt strange, like something burned. Also noticed the wheel does not spin freely any more.

Bad luck after riding safe over 1000 km on Firmware 1.2.2.

I really don't understand why the App forces to upgrade by displaying the notice every time the Ninebot is connected. If there has been an option to disable the update-checks I still would be riding a Ninebot without problems. Now I have a damaged hardware.

Well, here's your chance - everyone who likes to say "I told you so" line up ;) - went for a ride on this lovely (albeit bloody cold!) Sunday afternoon and was doing well, going quite a distance, mixed speeds, up / down curbs etc.

Just cleared the park exit (and fortunately all the yoooths hanging around the play area!) and my trusty EUC threw me off with no sign whatsoever :(

I dusted myself off, picked the unit up and it was completely dead - guess what, the wheel wouldn't spin over either - sound familiar???

Just arrived back home now - three mile hike carrying a DEAD weight - surprising how slow it is walking when you're used to speeding along without a care in the world :) at least I've got some exercise today.

So, even my 'bombproof' Ninebot One E+ (N10) has succumbed to the dreaded firmware update - as if anybody needed telling again, but particularly as I'd reported that I was OK - DON'T USE V1.2.9

FWIW I did try again this afternoon before heading out to see if I could update to V1.3 but it failed as it did yesterday evening so it looks like they still haven't got it sorted.  Started to think maybe it's a conspiracy thing drummed up by the 'legal' lot to prevent us from enjoying ourselves?

Stay safe everyone :D

I'm on the NB1 P #N10, After reading more I decided to upgrade to 1.3 from 1.2.9 and on the first try it worked, I do notice the bot makes a different sound that is hard to describe - grumble/ creaking/ quiet rattle while riding  

I checked and my nine droid app says it's on version 1.3 and I've carefully test ridden with success. I would think if the people doing the firmware heard of failures related to updating they would immediately release a new version that was a older confirmed working firmware like 1.2.2 or similar. 

Rolling with fingers crossed still no helmet. 

Only one word is my head - INCOMPETENCE - don't know if it's deliberate in some way but if not then somebody really needs to get their act together.  Either stop the app from suggesting an update every time you use it, or make sure the update won't screw people up!

Dread to think what it's costing them in replacing bits / lost sales etc?

At least people lucky enough to have found this forum have some idea - it's good to talk :D

23 hours ago, DangerousDick said:

So, even my 'bombproof' Ninebot One E+ (N10) has succumbed to the dreaded firmware update - as if anybody needed telling again, but particularly as I'd reported that I was OK - DON'T USE V1.2.9

"Hey, I'm gonna get you too!.. Another one bites the dust!"   -v1.2.9

9 minutes ago, Jdestef said:

"Hey, I'm gonna get you too!.. Another one bites the dust!"   -v1.2.9

do, do, do do do, another one bites the dust .. .. .. And another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust .. .. .. ..

Not going to get that one out of my head for the rest of the day now ;)

8 hours ago, Vanopolis said:

I checked and my nine droid app says it's on version 1.3 and I've carefully test ridden with success. I would think if the people doing the firmware heard of failures related to updating they would immediately release a new version that was a older confirmed working firmware like 1.2.2 or similar.

My thoughts exactly... Why wouldn't people in charge of releasing firmware updates just go back to the bulletproof firmware of 1.2.2 and re-release it tagged as 1.3   I sure hope this is what they are doing.  Sad thing is we are paying the price of our Ninebots getting ruined and money coming out of our pockets.  For a person like me I am screwed because I bought my Ninebot One from a second hand dealer in China.  Give you 3 guesses what kind of warranty that gives me.... :angry:

NBUS just asked me to try to update to 1.3.0 to fix the issue.  Highly skeptical, but I did it anyway...  (spoiler alert: it fixed nothing).

To accomplish this, I had to follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the battery / reconnect the battery (dont try the power button yet)
2. Lay the unit flat
3. Power up.  The unit should now start beeping.
4. Go into the firmware section of the app and lock the NB to stop the beeping.
5. Apply 1.3.0
6. Turn the NB off once firmware is done.
7. Stand the NB up and press the power button then rage when it's still broken.

18 minutes ago, Jdestef said:

NBUS just asked me to try to update to 1.3.0 to fix the issue.  Highly skeptical, but I did it anyway...  (spoiler alert: it fixed nothing).

To accomplish this, I had to follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the battery / reconnect the battery (dont try the power button yet)
2. Lay the unit flat
3. Power up.  The unit should now start beeping.
4. Go into the firmware section of the app and lock the NB to stop the beeping.
5. Apply 1.3.0
6. Turn the NB off once firmware is done.
7. Stand the NB up and press the power button then rage when it's still broken.

The issue with you EU is that your board now has bad components on it.  Mine has at least 3 bad mosfets.  And quite possibly some other components that were taken out when the mosfets went.

You will need to get a new board to get your EU running again.  Mine should be here tonight.  If I have a chance to install it, I will post my results but it may take an additional day because it needs to be 'activated' by Ninebot with some sort of password.

Cranium: 

Can you give me a timeline of your events...

When it went bad, when they shipped the new board, when you got it, etc...  (and did it come from China or NJ or somewhere else)

I am curious about their responsiveness.

Thanks.  Cheers,

Jim

@JFP9,  

@FORWARD california stepped in to help me out I think because I already have a pre-order for a Ninebot One P with them.  They have been a HUGE help with this.  

My process was documented in this thread: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1817-ninebot-one-e-broken-after-1-12-weeks-any-troubleshooters-here/

My replacement board should be waiting for me tonight when I get home so it was less than a 1 week turnaround which is fantastic!  

Just for the complete electrical amateurs out there (translation: me). How DOES a software update damage actual hardware? I'm a bit confused about the mofsets and all this sort of stuff. I mean can a computer or phone firmware update damage the hardware? I mean I know you can 'brick' a phone/laptop but you're not actually DAMAGING the hardware are you?

35 minutes ago, paddylaz said:

Just for the complete electrical amateurs out there (translation: me). How DOES a software update damage actual hardware? I'm a bit confused about the mofsets and all this sort of stuff. I mean can a computer or phone firmware update damage the hardware? I mean I know you can 'brick' a phone/laptop but you're not actually DAMAGING the hardware are you?

I'm no expert either but I imagine the firmware manages the electronics such that it could allow or disallow various amounts of voltage thru the circuitry.  Firmware that works on certain hardware (maybe newer more robust mobos) may drive older boards too hard and cause an overload.  

Without getting too much into brushless DC motor control theory, there are mosfets that control current going through the coils.  These mosfets turn on and off to create a rotating magnetic field.  Along with the permanent magnets, this causes the motor to spin.  

In the very basic diagram here, the mosfets (like switches) that close should always create a path for current flow to go through the motor.  But if the wrong two close, it could allow current to bypass the motor and go directly to ground which would blow up the mosfets and anything else in that path.  The software controls opening and closing of these mosfets.

565375e7e10bf_H-Bridge-MOSFETs1.gif.5b06

I'm surprised that Ninebot is even messing around with the timing at this point though.  I would figure they would be just adding features and functions outside of making the motor turn.  But who knows what really happened.  It could be some stupid little error that was introduced in another section of code that had an effect on the timing. 

Hope this helps.

Archived