30 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

So take from this what you will, but I heard from a reliable source (a Gotway vendor) that the Monster Pro “isn’t designed for speed” and will do 60 kmh max / 37 MPH. 

That is a huge disappointment. 

so is this designed to be a responsive wheel for people the size of Shaq?   the more I thought about the MSP torque, it really seemed like it was designed for large people - and really I'm surprised so many people like the torque version.  It is my understanding riding the MSP torque in the mid 30's mph kills the battery way faster than the 100v MSX at the same speeds.

The reason I would want this beast to go 55+mph isn't so much for being a daredevil, but for super safe cruising at much lower speeds, plus range at those speeds.

edit: to be fair, all seems pretty speculative atm

Edited by Ben Hatfield
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

So take from this what you will, but I heard from a reliable source (a Gotway vendor) that the Monster Pro “isn’t designed for speed” and will do 60 kmh max / 37 MPH. 

Wont it be almost impossible to access the torque of a 4000w motor in a 24 inch wheel? As i understand EUCs, when wheel size increases you have to lean more to get the same acceleration as on a smaller wheel. Its already very hard to use all the torque the msp has at lower speeds, wont this just be worse? Or am i missing something?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

That is a huge disappointment. 

If you are right, high-speed users will be disappointed, and slow users will enjoy it without any response. The reality seems to be that there are a lot of high-speed users, so there will be many users who are disappointed. But with safety in mind, I think I can get rid of the lingering attachment to speed..:facepalm:

You can speed up 24" inches and 4000W, but if you're the right source (Gotway Vendor), For safety reasons, I think it will come out as a torque type with reduced speed.We'll have to wait and see what's right. Thank you for telling me another news..:efee47c9c8:

Edited by Lindsey

24 minutes ago, Rico said:

https://www.phaserfpv.com.au/products/gotway-monster-pro

Assuming the price is in AUD, 5000 AUD = 3440 USD 

Wow... that's very interesting...:efefc8626c:
Are you making a reservation in Australia in advance, even though the product's exact spacings and any images have not been released yet? :confused1:

Is the consumer price correct? I don't know how to take it.:shock2:

1 minute ago, Lindsey said:

Are you making a reservation in Australia in advance, even though the product's exact spacings and any images have not been released yet? :confused1:

Absolutely not, that would be stupid. Im excited but not that excited :P.

This is as far as im aware the only price that has been released atm, I assume this is the price but i dont know for sure. It is similar to what people have predicted.

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

I'm more in the camp of 30 to 35 mph and it's not about going 60 mph, but knowing the wheel is solid and won't dump me hitting 35 mph.  I like having the headroom, not actually hitting 60 mph

I agree about the upper speed. But I can see the manufacturers perspective. If they make a wheel that can go 100-mph, some fool(s) is going to do it. We see that now. Guys are consistently riding the wheels at the upper limits.

Speaking only for myself, a wheel that is spec'd between 35 and 40 is sufficient to provide the headroom I want at 25-mph.

I think even Gotway has their limits and will probably never go much above the lower 40's.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely not. Look at a picture of the Monster and compare the height relative to the pedal height. Now do the same on the Monster Pro.

I would estimate that the shell is about 6-inches taller.

Sorry, my bad, by "size" I only meant the tire diameter (or rather the rim diameter, as the tire size changes with tire width). To me, it looks like it's a 3 inch wide tire that would also fit on the Monster rim (aka "same size" as the Monster) that might get close to 24 inches real diameter, not a genuinely "bigger" tire. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't care how big or small the shell is, just whether this is effectively a Monster upgrade (the name suggests it) or an even "bigger" wheel than the Monster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

I'm more in the camp of 30 to 35 mph and it's not about going 60 mph, but knowing the wheel is solid and won't dump me hitting 35 mph.  I like having the headroom, not actually hitting 60 mph

This is my thinking as well. I also like to keep the tiltback enabled at 50kph so that I get feedback other than the beeps. Might not be able to hear beeps over 35mph ... it's *windy* at that speed. Often near the coast, you can have a 15 to 20 mph headwind, and the air resistance is what limits your top speed at that point, not to mention the buffeting is annoying.

But a Monster with a  BIGGER wheel?!  :unsure:  I hope it has enough torque. I was thinking that the 2500w motor out of the MSP would be a good thing for the current monster because you'd get more speed out of the larger diameter wheel than the MSP, and more torque would be welcome.

Monster V5 will use these wheels... and I'll probably buy one.

image.thumb.png.db3db48287cf47458a7d1af812b997ee.png

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry, my bad, by "size" I only meant the tire diameter (or rather the rim diameter, as the tire size changes with tire width). To me, it looks like it's a 3 inch wide tire that would also fit on the Monster rim (aka "same size" as the Monster) that might get close to 24 inches real diameter, not a genuinely "bigger" tire. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't care how big or small the shell is, just whether this is effectively a Monster upgrade (the name suggests it) or an even "bigger" wheel than the Monster.

Based on the increased shell size and 4500-watt motor, I have to believe it's truly a bigger wheel. I don't think even Gotway would stoop so low as to slap a bigger tire on the same rim and call it a 24-inch wheel.

Guess we'll eventually find out.

I did use some calipers on the pictures and using the pedal length as my reference, the Monster Pro certainly has a larger diameter rim than the Monster.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

I think you saw the freespin for the Veteran Sherman; there are no numbers for this wheel yet. If it does 100 kph freespin though, I’d be extremely happy. 

yes you are right my bad, im confusing these lol

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree about the upper speed. But I can see the manufacturers perspective. If they make a wheel that can go 100-mph, some fool(s) is going to do it. We see that now. Guys are consistently riding the wheels at the upper limits.

Speaking only for myself, a wheel that is spec'd between 35 and 40 is sufficient to provide the headroom I want at 25-mph.

I think even Gotway has their limits and will probably never go much above the lower 40's.

I think the challenge is us existing users want to feel like we're getting a real upgrade, not a downgrade.  Existing MSX owners faced quite a conundrum when the MSPro came with all the quality of life improvements the former wheel lacked but had a top speed 5-6 MPH lower.  

• Like 2

Damn, but I just bought a regular Monster. I guess that means I'll be that much more prepared when August comes.

Top speed of this thing has to be 50+ mph, the monster already does 40+ and they more than doubled the continuous power rating.

Edited by deflated tractioninterface

2 minutes ago, deflated tractioninterface said:

Damn, but I just bought a regular Monster. I guess that means I'll be that much more prepared when July comes.

Top speed of this thing has to be 50+ mph, the monster already does 40+ and they more than doubled the continuous power rating.

Rule number 1 for Gotway wheels, never take their advertised motor rating at face value.  Rule #2, rated motor output is not indicative of actual top speed.

Look on the bright side, your Monster will in all likelihood be faster than the new Pro! :) 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 3

Just now, deflated tractioninterface said:

Damn, but I just bought a regular Monster. I guess that means I'll be that much more prepared when August comes.

just because the motor has that power doesnt mean it will be used, and simply going top speed isnt going to use all available power unless its on a small and relatively weak wheel.. i think the speed limit theyre at now is pretty much as good as they can do without much more sophisticated electronics.. i can pretty much guarantee the continuous power rating was not in fact doubled anyhow

1 minute ago, Ben Kim said:

Rule number 1 for Gotway wheels, never take their advertised motor rating at face value.  Rule #2, rated motor output is not indicative of actual top speed.

Look on the bright side, your Monster will in all likelihood be faster than the new Pro! :) 

not the high speed version :P

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

just because the motor has that power doesnt mean it will be used, and simply going top speed isnt going to use all available power unless its on a small and relatively weak wheel.. i think the speed limit theyre at now is pretty much as good as they can do without much more sophisticated electronics.. i can pretty much guarantee the continuous power rating was not in fact doubled anyhow

not the high speed version :P

Thats IF there's a high speed version.  If there is, shut up and take my money!  ;)

1 minute ago, Ben Kim said:

Thats IF there's a high speed version.  If there is, shut up and take my money!  ;)

oh oh oh... i was referring back to your earlier post about the MSP.. i meant the high speed version of that but i just checked again and you were referring to the monster pro haha... no i dont think there will be a high speed version since using the old motor wouldnt give an increased speed just the same speed at best unlike the MSP which has a new motor that is slower

Just now, Rywokast said:

oh oh oh... i was referring back to your earlier post about the MSP.. i meant the high speed version of that but i just checked again and you were referring to the monster pro haha... no i dont think there will be a high speed version since using the old motor wouldnt give an increased speed just the same speed at best unlike the MSP which has a new motor that is slower

Ah, yes. they retro'ed the old MSX motor into the MSP, which has limited distribution through eWheels only right now.  Unlikely that will happen on this new wheel though. :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lindsey said:

If you are right, high-speed users will be disappointed, and slow users will enjoy it without any response. The reality seems to be that there are a lot of high-speed users, so there will be many users who are disappointed. But with safety in mind, I think I can get rid of the lingering attachment to speed..:facepalm:

You can speed up 24" inches and 4000W, but if you're the right source (Gotway Vendor), For safety reasons, I think it will come out as a torque type with reduced speed.We'll have to wait and see what's right. Thank you for telling me another news..:efee47c9c8:

I'm not necessarily a 40 mph sustained rider, I like to do 35 MPH cruising with bursts up to 40.  Here's the problem: top speed is dictated by the battery levels; so if the top speed with a full battery is 37 mph, it will progressively get slower as the battery depletes, making it a 31-32 MPH wheel by 50%.  THAT is a big problem for me.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree about the upper speed. But I can see the manufacturers perspective. If they make a wheel that can go 100-mph, some fool is going to do it. We see that now. Guys are consistently riding the wheels at the upper limits.

@ShanesPlanet

:lol:

He's pretty crash-proof. :D

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

I have measured those rendered images - and conclusion is not so clear - something is not to the scale. Real life  GW pedals are around 207mm in length (in the middle of the width) and using this as the reference scale...  scaling it up from the picture - outer diameter of the tire seems to be only 540 mm - which is in fact 21,27"

So my guess is that this wheel is in fact the expected Monster Mini wheel.  This is pure guess only...  Looking forward for the real pictures and other evidence which may confirm that my guess is wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I have the 84-volt 1600wh MSX. So the MSP was a no-brainer upgrade for me. But if you have an existing ~1800wh 100-volt MSX, yeah, why upgrade unless you're into climbing steep mountains?

I still have the Monster V1 and enjoy riding it. V2 and V3 are nice but haven't been compelling enough for me to trade up.

Just because Chevy comes out with a new model year truck, why do you have to buy it or feel bad that it came out?

Enjoy your MSX and feel good that you're saving money :)

I surmise it depends on the use case; This new Monster Pro has 3600Wh for starters which is HUGE for me (and probably you).  With that said, the capacity upgrade is worth the upgrade (even if I suspect it will be 5-6 mph slower than the old 100V Monster).  I don't own an MSX, I was just trying to provide an example.  

• Like 1