Decided to test further distances on the Monster Pro. Accomplished a high speed run to Whole Foods. Started at 70% at the house and when I arrived at Whole Foods it was at 17%. Whole Foods is 8.5 miles from my house. These readings were from EucWorld. While in Whole Foods the battery recovered to about 40%. On the way back I cut through Chambers Bay Golf course to avoid going down Chambers Creek road. Going to Whole Foods I was traveling between 30 & 35 mph. The speed limit is 30 mph. I don't like going fast down hill on unicycles. The road is rather sketchy for cycle traffic. That's why I was hauling ass up the hill going to Whole Foods. The multiple purpose path I took coming home is very steep. I didn't feel like trying to kill the Monster Pro on it . When I got home the resting battery percentage was 30% in EucWorld and 40% percent in the Begode app. I haven't messed with the battery settings in EucWorld.

2 minutes ago, Unipilot69 said:

I haven't messed with the battery settings in EucWorld

I'd recommend setting the EUCWorld battery setting to "Standard" for a bit, assuming they're now at "optimized". I'm pretty sure I read that the optimized battery algorithm is trying to guesstimate your remaining mileage, not so much the battery percentage and this can be seriously misleading.

I'm not exactly light and I was going 30 mph uphill, keeping up with traffic. If I had a choice of cells I would've chosen the high discharge ones instead of high capacity. The high capacity cell do sag a lot. I'm going to adjust the settings in EucWorld as soon as the charge cycle ends. On my RS I've kept the triple beep alarm active and that triggers at 28 mph. I did a high speed run to the park near my house last week. I was riding the triple beeps all the way there. The battery sag for 1.5 miles was close to 50%. It recovered back up to 95% after a little rest. My RS is the C30 model. Not ideal for a 240 pound rider. I need to adjust the EucWorld for the battery. I've got all of my eucs adjusted for exact speed.

9 hours ago, Unipilot69 said:

I'm not exactly light and I was going 30 mph uphill, keeping up with traffic. If I had a choice of cells I would've chosen the high discharge ones instead of high capacity. The high capacity cell do sag a lot. I'm going to adjust the settings in EucWorld as soon as the charge cycle ends. On my RS I've kept the triple beep alarm active and that triggers at 28 mph. I did a high speed run to the park near my house last week. I was riding the triple beeps all the way there. The battery sag for 1.5 miles was close to 50%. It recovered back up to 95% after a little rest. My RS is the C30 model. Not ideal for a 240 pound rider. I need to adjust the EucWorld for the battery. I've got all of my eucs adjusted for exact speed.

don't use EUC algorithm, use the custom one and put 78v as 0% and 99v as 100% .
it's way more accurate into the whole range of the battery ;)

• Like 2

Ok, thanks. I just got back picking up a large Domino's Pizza and bread sticks. I have a Deliveroo bag. The pizza didn't fair so we'll. It barely fit flat on the bottom of the bag. It had to be tilted a little to fit in. I started with a full charge with proper balancing. I ended with 99 volts. The round trip was 5 miles. I was hauling ass again. Between 30 and 35mph on the street. I slowed to average bicycle speed while I was traveling through the park by my house. Not very busy today in the park. Everyone is traveling by car for the holiday tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2021 at 6:13 AM, Unipilot69 said:

I just checked Alienrides. They have Monster Pros in stock. Maybe this batch will have markings on the motor describing the type of magnets.

Just got a brand new MPro from Chicway, it's beautiful so far...just feels amazing to ride.

What markings would I look for?  It's still a C30 but allegedly higher torque now.  Battery production date says late September 2021, has the little Begode sticker with QR code so I do think these batteries have individual BMS.  Still a blue plastic wrap, no new cover.  It definitely has the motherboard compartmentalized and has the new rim style that's heavier duty.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my current understanding/theory is that there's two motor variants for the mpro

1) the unmarked bigger bearing with a bigger hollow bore. "older" used for the launch of the wheel in 2020. Has bearing issues in the wet. 

2) The motor that is marked with a serial code in newer wheels now that states c30 , with smaller bearings and a smaller hollow bore. Allegedly this one has higher torque, and a lower free-spin speed of 60 miles (compared to 66mph of the 1st motor).

I get my monster pro (from ewheels!) tomorrow. I can update this thread with what I see, but I don't have the original version of the mPro to compare it to any verdicts of "torquey-er-ness." 

19 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my current understanding/theory is that there's two motor variants for the mpro

1) the unmarked bigger bearing with a bigger hollow bore. "older" used for the launch of the wheel in 2020. Has bearing issues in the wet. 

2) The motor that is marked with a serial code in newer wheels now that states c30 , with smaller bearings and a smaller hollow bore. Allegedly this one has higher torque, and a lower free-spin speed of 60 miles (compared to 66mph of the 1st motor).

I get my monster pro (from ewheels!) tomorrow. I can update this thread with what I see, but I don't have the original version of the mPro to compare it to any verdicts of "torquey-er-ness." 

Very interesting, thanks for the info.  Chicway told me this motor was higher torque but mentioned something about C38 also which this isn't. They said they asked Begode and Begode says this is the new higher torque C30 version but they didn't change to the C38.

I haven't ridden the original version either but this one I can say is an absolute joy.. I'm 6'4 225 lbs, in love already.  I hit 35 without even thinking about it lol.

Congrats on your monster pro!  Curious to see if it's similar to mine.

20220116_001921.jpg

Edited by PharmaCyclist

11 minutes ago, PharmaCyclist said:

Very interesting, thanks for the info.  Chicway told me this motor was higher torque but mentioned something about C38 also which this isn't. They said they asked Begode and Begode says this is the new higher torque C30 version but they didn't change to the C38.

According to Ewheels, sadly it seems that Begode has no interest in making a c38 version of the Mpro at this time. They want to focus on the EX2 and EX2s.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 10:44 PM, Denny Paul said:

Did you get your M Pro yet? Curious how it compares!

On 1/19/2022 at 7:59 AM, PharmaCyclist said:

I haven't ridden the original version either but this one I can say is an absolute joy.. I'm 6'4 225 lbs, in love already.  I hit 35 without even thinking about it lol.

Congrats on your monster pro!  Curious to see if it's similar to mine.

20220116_001921.jpg

I have the old monster pro motor (March 2021) with bigger bearings. Comparing it to my friend's new monster pro (Nov 2021), the old motor actually feels more powerful and this is also confirmed my begode. Wrongway had cut out on his monster pro because it was on a soft mode. 

47 minutes ago, Alexutlang said:

I have the old monster pro motor (March 2021) with bigger bearings. Comparing it to my friend's new monster pro (Nov 2021), the old motor actually feels more powerful and this is also confirmed my begode. Wrongway had cut out on his monster pro because it was on a soft mode. 

Interesting, seems odd that Begode would reduce the torque of the motor with the potential cutout issues.  Wrong Way leaned hard and I'm sure the soft mode did it in as you say (saw the video).  I'm definitely heavier than him so will take it easy accelerating.  Would be neat if someone had a dyno setup to actually test these motors objectively.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

@PharmaCyclist

so unboxed it and cracked it open today.

Quick Facts: 60v c30 labeled motor, lift test yields 66mph on a full battery (lower than this alleged higher torque motor), has a green board, LiTech Samsung 50e's (through ewheels).

First impressions: Sadly, not impressed with the torque. It feels on par with the monster v3. Though my opinions aren't set in stone yet; I'm going to take it on a mountain run tomorrow. Playing around with it in the residential streets like I did today at a lower speeds is not why this machine was built, so it makes sense that it doesn't quite shine here. Perhaps there's a learning curve with this wheel too, though I've ridden heavy wheels before.

Build impressions: Plastics are actually quite solid! A step up from the previous generation gotways for sure. But inside, the wire management is subpar; even found a wire looped through the cooling fan's blades. Luckily it was plastic, but I was wondering why I didn't hear any fan noise while I was riding. In addition the xt30 connectors are loose (you can actually see the before shot below, top right there's a connector loose on it's own, jeez maybe I should have opened it up before riding). I fixed this with just a thin strip of duct tape around any offending connectors. The beeper placement is garbage. Irresponsibly quiet. I rerouted it to be behind the red gimp's left eye (speakers). Much louder now, and I image at speed that'll be critical to even have a chance to hear it. Mine also came with the begode hex pedals, but the gotway guys lazily didn't do squat to have them fold up. Added magnets of my own inside the shell with some hot glue. Lastly, I'm personally not a fan of the tire, feels like it needs another reinforcing layer. At 30 psi the tire is round enough to spin like a coin without even trying (meaning the contact patch is tiny and the grip of the rubber isn't great). Unfortunately, dropping the psi seriously risks rim damage cause I felt myself bottom out already on a fairly benign pothole. I'm definitely not the type to be paranoid about rims; I ride my other 18" wheels with around 26-29 psi with a 180lbs of weight to lug around.

hope this helps!

ps: clever forum name! Soon to be same field here: I'll be starting a PA program in the summer. 

Most people are riding these monster pros at 40-45 psi on the stock tire. Gives it much more agility. At 32psi it felt like turning a boat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Most people are riding these monster pros at 40-45 psi on the stock tire. Gives it much more agility. At 32psi it felt like turning a boat. 

I’ll give it a shot, but I already don’t like how small the contact patch is.

I’d choose turning like a boat over spinning like a coin on a table. I think I’ll look to order a different tire, hopefully I won’t have to pick a poison here. 

46 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

lift test yields 66mph on a full battery (lower than this alleged higher torque motor)

keep in mind that first gen m24pro board was over reporting speed by 8% , let us know how is yours ;)

great wheel congrats :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

@PharmaCyclist

so unboxed it and cracked it open today.

Quick Facts: 60v c30 labeled motor, lift test yields 66mph on a full battery (lower than this alleged higher torque motor), has a green board, LiTech Samsung 50e's (through ewheels).

First impressions: Sadly, not impressed with the torque. It feels on par with the monster v3. Though my opinions aren't set in stone yet; I'm going to take it on a mountain run tomorrow. Playing around with it in the residential streets like I did today at a lower speeds is not why this machine was built, so it makes sense that it doesn't quite shine here. Perhaps there's a learning curve with this wheel too, though I've ridden heavy wheels before.

Build impressions: Plastics are actually quite solid! A step up from the previous generation gotways for sure. However, inside the wire management is subpar; I even found a wire looped through the cooling fan's blades. Luckily it’s a plastic fan and nothing was damaged I don’t think, but that explains why I didn't hear any fan kick while riding. In addition, two xt30 connectors were very loose, enough to separate just poking at it (jeez maybe I should have opened it up before riding). I fixed this with just a thin strip of duct tape around any offending connectors. The beeper placement is thoughtless. Irresponsibly quiet. I rerouted it to be behind the red gimp's left eye (speakers). Much louder now, and I image at speed that'll be critical to even have a chance to hear it. Mine also came with the begode hex pedals, but the gotway guys lazily didn't do squat to have them fold up. Added magnets of my own inside the shell with some hot glue. Lastly, I'm personally not a fan of the tire, feels like it needs another reinforcing layer. At 30 psi the tire is round enough to spin like a coin without even trying (meaning the contact patch is tiny and the grip of the rubber isn't great). Unfortunately, the dropping the psi anymore seriously risks rim damage. I felt myself bottom out already on a fairly benign pothole. I'm definitely not the type to be paranoid about rims; I ride my other 18" wheels with around 26-29 psi with a 180lbs of weight to lug around.

hope this helps!

ps: clever forum name! Soon to be same field here: I'll be starting a PA program in the summer.

3CDC1B10-6D2D-4A70-9631-705FFA5134FC.thumb.jpeg.83271f764b6c6d1fe91993c9a54e5a54.jpeg

C43C2AD5-2E0C-44E8-B319-F0F3342AF526.thumb.jpeg.2628191d890f5b09cfd8cec0a2d8869a.jpeg

CD5B3637-C1E7-4FE0-BA08-311CDF61256B.jpeg

Thanks for sharing man!  Looks very similar to mine except of course I have Begode batteries.  I suppose I should fully open the shell to check connections, surprising eWheels didn't do that well when they installed the packs in yours..?  Have the same pedal drop issue with the (beautiful) Begode CNC pedals I put on, planning to add a magnet just like you did.

At my height and weight 6'4 230 ish the wheel feels awesome, have no trouble turning and contact feels solid at around 34 PSI.  As you have already observed, this wheel is much more of a higher speed cruiser than any kind of torque machine.  I had it out last night cruising around 30-35 just exploring and I absolutely enjoyed it, very much in love with the special feel of this wheel so far.  Here's an appropriately titled and rambling video of me talking about it and showing some of the exterior details after riding last night:

PharmaCyclist Rambling about Monster Pro 

Cool you noticed my name, I actually was using it long before EUC riding as I'm really into road cycling as well; funny when I read about the cyclists that hate EUC riders, it's not all I swear lol 😂

I'm a pharmacist analyst these days, really enjoy it and don't miss clinical practice too much.  Best of luck to you on the PA program, that's an excellent career path!

• Like 2

@PharmaCyclist ah, also wanted to add, the pedal hanger screws were just a tad loose. I imagine some wheels they'll be tighter and some will be way too loose, not consistent enough to just hope for the best. 

and if you want add magnets, its fairly easy, the shell has a circle right where they're supposed to go which eliminates any guesswork. Search on amazon for 20mm diameter neodymium magnets. For me, I used a 4mm thick + another 2mm thick magnet on the inside, and they held up the CNC pedals, but weakly. So I Gorrilla Glue'd another 2mm thick magnet on the outside of the shell. Function > form for me.

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

I changed the stock tire to a 4 ply motorcycle tire. With my weight along with the weight of the monster pro that was necessary. I like to take the monster pro off-road and it's my preferred wheel for commuting. With the recommendation from @ Ben Kim I put the Vee rubber vrm054 tire on it. The tread pattern is close to the monster V3. Since I ride on trails and wet grass the street tires don't have the grip necessary. The vrm054 works great. It handles good on and off road. The stock tire is too thin. I liked the handling on road but I didn't trust it with all of the debris I have to ride through. Also with the high gross weight the rim would be ruined rather quickly.

As far as build quality it's a Gotway. Until they have consistency in quality control, a delivery inspection is a must. Mine was no exception. Some areas were good others not. I usually run in damp conditions or down right rain out of the box, and then check for intrusion. To my surprise both my monster pro and EX.N are tight. The wire management had to have a few discrepancies corrected. My EX.N has shitty side panels. It had two screw holes blown out on arrival. I repaired them with JB weld. Seems there's something going on with the plastic. My monster pro and RS have good plastic.

• Like 1

Day two: I thought I was pushing the wheel enough on the first day to get good impressions. Today I got it out on more open roads on the mountain pass I enjoy here in northern California. Main thing I learned is just an echo from what others have said. DAMN you've got to really throw your weight around confidently! To initiate turns, I'm jumping with all my weight to the inside, to accelerate both my heels are lifted, and brakes I've got no toes touching pedals. After an hour of riding it's not my feet that are tired, it's my quads. Sweating when I'm home despite it being a cool 60F out. It is a workout.

I'm hoping I'll get conditioned to it over the next weeks. The stability at speed is intoxicating; hit 47mph for the first time. The cornering is addicting, you push once to initiate a turn (albeit very hard) and it's like the wheel has memory, it will hold that line until you push the other way. 

Still don't like the tire. Too high of pressure and a lose traction and stability. Too low and I risk rim damage. 30 psi is too low. At 190 with gear I bottomed out again today with a clunk. Luckily it wasn't too bad, no signs of damage. I have a Michelin City Pro 90/90-18 on the way. I think it should fit fine and will likely be a solid improvement like it was on the monster v3.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, EMA said:

keep in mind that first gen m24pro board was over reporting speed by 8% , let us know how is yours ;)

great wheel congrats :D

checked this today, I'd say that's about consistent with what I saw which was about 10%

How does the Monster Pro compare to the Sherman, as far as stability, range, acceleration? I currently run a third batch Sherman, and an EX. Was thinking about adding a Monster Pro to my stable, vs waiting for the kinks to get worked out of the Abrams. Appreciate the input. Thanks.

• Like 2