On 1/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hsiang said:

worst part is that Gotway obviously realized that this is a problem and made a partial solution, but then they only put it on some of the wheels. Archie also didn't have this on his monster pro and reported significant water intrusion into battery compartment. Over heating, water + control board right next to the battery packs. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Like I mentioned, serious QC problems. Has anyone ever spoken to the owners and investors?

9 hours ago, GothamMike said:

Like I mentioned, serious QC problems. Has anyone ever spoken to the owners and investors?

In this podcast is EvX speak about interaction with owner/importan person/contact gotway/begode about quality isues EUC he reviewed i think monster pro or EX im not fully shure. Here is video is after 45min(i dont know exactly) they speak about this topic(quality and confront manufacturers). Sorry i  dont know exact time i listen audio only in home when i cook/prepare meat for weekend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EUC Addict said:

An opinion from across the pond

Dear Ian,

I watched your review of the Monster Pro with anticipation, and despite your poor opinion of the wheel, I still appreciated hearing what you had to say. I didn’t disagree with much of what you said about the wheel. However, I did take issue with two things. So instead of leaving a comment below your video as you suggested, I published my thoughts here for your consideration as it would not be conducive to respond with such length in a YouTube comment.

The first issue I had with your review was the comparison between the Veteran Sherman and Monster Pro. I didn’t think it was fair to use the Sherman as a bench mark for the Monster Pro. The Sherman is a substantially smaller wheel of which I have highlighted below:

• The motor is 2500W vs the Monster Pro’s 3500W.

• The wheel diameter is 20” vs the Monster Pro’s 24”.

• The weight is nearly 80 lbs. vs the Monster Pro’s 90 lbs.

• The battery is 3108Wh vs the Monster Pro’s 3485Wh.

We wouldn’t compare the Sherman to a King Song 16X? It’s not that there isn’t value in making comparison’s between wheels that aren’t in the same class, but that is obscures the performance of the larger wheel.

Mickey Micklos of evX also compared the Monster Pro’s performance and handling to the Sherman in his December 2020 review.

However, as Shawn Duffey pointed out in his critique of Mickey’s review, the Monster Pro is in a different class. I agree.

“The physics of a 24” wheel compared to an 18” or 19” wheel is different obviously, much different,” Shawn said.

Shawn later suggested a better comparison would have been between the Monster V3 and Monster Pro. If you still have the Monster Pro, I encourage you to do a follow up review in which you directly compare the Monster Pro with the Monster V3 or any of the other iterations.

I was surprised you didn’t compare the Monster Pro to the Monster V3 at all in your review. The tone of your Monster Pro review was very muted compared to your October 2019 and 2020 review of the Monster V3 84v and 100v respectively in which you only compared them to previous iterations.

I get why people compare the Sherman and Monster Pro. I often do it myself in regard to range capability. They’re the two biggest competing wheels on the market, but the size difference is enough to exclude the Monster Pro from any fair comparison with the Sherman. (Read More)

enjoy your commentary. I have yet to find someone doing a real 84v vs 100v Monster V3 comparison. I think it would be popular! 

On 1/25/2021 at 8:55 PM, EUC Addict said:

An opinion from across the pond

Dear Ian,

I watched your review of the Monster Pro with anticipation, and despite your poor opinion of the wheel, I still appreciated hearing what you had to say. I didn’t disagree with much of what you said about the wheel. However, I did take issue with two things. So instead of leaving a comment below your video as you suggested, I published my thoughts here for your consideration as it would not be conducive to respond with such length in a YouTube comment.

The first issue I had with your review was the comparison between the Veteran Sherman and Monster Pro. I didn’t think it was fair to use the Sherman as a bench mark for the Monster Pro. The Sherman is a substantially smaller wheel of which I have highlighted below:

• The motor is 2500W vs the Monster Pro’s 3500W.

• The wheel diameter is 20” vs the Monster Pro’s 24”.

• The weight is nearly 80 lbs. vs the Monster Pro’s 90 lbs.

• The battery is 3108Wh vs the Monster Pro’s 3485Wh.

We wouldn’t compare the Sherman to a King Song 16X? It’s not that there isn’t value in making comparison’s between wheels that aren’t in the same class, but that is obscures the performance of the larger wheel.

Mickey Micklos of evX also compared the Monster Pro’s performance and handling to the Sherman in his December 2020 review.

However, as Shawn Duffey pointed out in his critique of Mickey’s review, the Monster Pro is in a different class. I agree.

“The physics of a 24” wheel compared to an 18” or 19” wheel is different obviously, much different,” Shawn said.

Shawn later suggested a better comparison would have been between the Monster V3 and Monster Pro. If you still have the Monster Pro, I encourage you to do a follow up review in which you directly compare the Monster Pro with the Monster V3 or any of the other iterations.

I was surprised you didn’t compare the Monster Pro to the Monster V3 at all in your review. The tone of your Monster Pro review was very muted compared to your October 2019 and 2020 review of the Monster V3 84v and 100v respectively in which you only compared them to previous iterations.

I get why people compare the Sherman and Monster Pro. I often do it myself in regard to range capability. They’re the two biggest competing wheels on the market, but the size difference is enough to exclude the Monster Pro from any fair comparison with the Sherman.

Have to disagree with your first point. EUCs don't just exist in long-winded internet comments and fancy spreadsheets ;-) where we get to arbitrarily choose certain narrow attributes as the basis for grouping/comparing. They primarily exist as products on offer within relative price categories. And right now, virtually all EUCs in production and/or releasing 'soon' have prices generally under $2200-2500 except for just four: the Sherman ($2850), and forthcoming three wheels from Begode, the Monster Pro, the EX, and the EX.N (all very roughly somewhere around $3500). And out of those, only the Sherman is actually released and has been easily available to customers, as most of the newer Begode offerings have been in release limbo for ~4-6 months, and the entire Monster line was in its own kind of limbo with the Monster V3 being discontinued [supposedly not technically discontinued but many vendors have stopped carrying it; this just seems a matter of time] and no Monsters available many places for over 6 months (ewheels sold out of Monsters back in like June/July).

Because of these things, *of course* the Sherman is the primary wheel to compare these other releases to as they happen. If someone is or has been in the market for a wheel of that general speed, range, & price class anytime in the past 6+ months, the Veteran is and has been the only other available product to compare to that whole time/essentially half a year, not to mention being the one which has obviously set the new bar for that speed and range class. (One can easily project the opposite scenario where a reviewer would spend most of the time comparing the Monster Pro to the V3 b/c they're the same 'line', and most of the comments would be filled with people saying "the V3 has been unavailable for ages, what I want to know is whether to get this or the Sherman?".)

--

Regarding the diameter, while larger diameters obviously promote greater stability at higher speeds, it has been interesting to observe just how much praise the Veteran has gotten on this front despite its "only" 20" tire--with many people praising specifically its "groundedness" and stability at speed. It's almost as if the wheel's overall weight may arguably be just as important towards this end as diameter (which doesn't even have to be true it just has to be 'close enough'), which if that's the case would call the whole premise of the Monster as a product into question. Obviously a well-executed large-diameter wheel *could* be good/desirable, but given all the negative things to be said about the Monster Pro's specific execution, why not choose a massive-battery and thus larger weight wheel with a little smaller diameter that's easier to maneuver and has better accel & breaking, *if its weight alone* can come close to producing the same general groundedness and stability at speeds anyway?

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Have to disagree with your first point. EUCs don't just exist in long-winded internet comments and fancy spreadsheets ;-) where we get to arbitrarily choose certain narrow attributes as the basis for grouping/comparing. They primarily exist as products on offer from companies within relative price categories. And right now, virtually all EUCs in production and/or releasing 'soon' have prices generally under $2200-2500 except for just four: the Sherman ($2850), and forthcoming three wheels from Begode, the Monster Pro, the EX, and the EX.N (all very roughly somewhere around $3500). And out of those, only the Sherman is actually released and has been easily available to customers, as most of the newer Begode offerings have been in release limbo for ~4-6 months, and the entire Monster line was in its own kind of limbo with the Monster V3 being discontinued and no Monsters available many places for over 6 months (ewheels sold out of Monsters back in like June/July).

Because of these things, *of course* the Sherman is the primary wheel to compare these other releases to as they happen. If someone is or has been in the market for a wheel of that general speed, range, & price class anytime in the past 6+ months, the Veteran is and has been the only other available product to compare to that whole time/essentially half a year, not to mention being the one which has obviously set the new bar for that speed and range class. (One can easily project the opposite scenario where a reviewer would spend most of the time comparing the Monster Pro to the V3 b/c they're the same 'line', and most of the comments would be filled with people saying "the V3 has been dead/unavailable for ages, what I want to know is whether to get this or the Sherman?".)

--

Regarding the diameter, while larger diameters obviously promote greater stability at higher speeds, it has been interesting to observe just how much praise the Veteran has gotten on this front despite its "only" 20" tire--with many people praising specifically its "groundedness" and stability at speed. It's almost as if the wheel's overall weight may arguably be just as important towards this end as diameter (which doesn't even have to be true it just has to be 'close enough'), which if that's the case would call the whole premise of the Monster as a product into question. Obviously a well-executed large-diameter wheel *could* be good/desirable, but given all the negative things to be said about the Monster Pro's specific execution, why not choose a massive-battery and thus larger weight wheel with a little smaller diameter that's easier to maneuver and has better accel & breaking, *if its weight alone* can come close to producing the same general groundedness and stability at speeds anyway?

need to correct you on one point: The Monster V3 is NOT discontinued; it can still be ordered from Gotway if requested. the difference is many vendors are choosing not to carry it anymore for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

need to correct you on one point: The Monster V3 is NOT discontinued; it can still be ordered from Gotway if requested. the difference is many vendors are choosing not to carry it anymore for whatever reason. 

Thanks for that clarification. Although 1) discontinued by most resellers is very close to the same thing in practice/doesn't really change my original argument (although I have edited to clarify this) and 2) it's very clearly on the way out--it's their last wheel over $1500 still with 18650 cells as otherwise they've all-but completed their transition to 21700. (The T3 will replace the Tesla V2 with 21700's.) It wouldn't surprise me if remaining availability from the manufacturer was just old stock they have to clear, which could be the only reason they haven't marked it as discontinued yet.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Thanks for that clarification. Although 1) discontinued by most resellers is very close to the same thing in practice/doesn't really change my original argument (although I have edited to clarify this) and 2) it's very clearly on the way out--it's their last wheel over $1500 still with 18650 cells as otherwise they've all-but completed their transition to 21700. (The T3 will replace the Tesla V2 with 21700's.) It wouldn't surprise me if remaining availability from the manufacturer was just old stock they have to clear, which could be the only reason they haven't marked it as discontinued yet.

I have been racking my brain over V3 Monster and new Begode EXN and Monster Pro and Veteran Sherman. For some reason I really feel the V3 is the right fit for me... especially if they made a V4 w the EX shell and even a hollow bore motor. Talking to Ali venders, there is a China release of V3 with 2640wh battery for about $3300cdn or $300cdn cheaper than the Veteran Sherman. 

I ended up ordering a Veteran Sherman. It takes forever to get a wheel and I am planning for a decent 2021 Summer here. I just cannoT afford to gamble so much and just made a decision based on what YouTube is telling me. 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 2:59 PM, AtlasP said:

Have to disagree with your first point. EUCs don't just exist in long-winded internet comments and fancy spreadsheets ;-) where we get to arbitrarily choose certain narrow attributes as the basis for grouping/comparing. They primarily exist as products on offer from companies within relative price categories. And right now, virtually all EUCs in production and/or releasing 'soon' have prices generally under $2200-2500 except for just four: the Sherman ($2850), and forthcoming three wheels from Begode, the Monster Pro, the EX, and the EX.N (all very roughly somewhere around $3500). And out of those, only the Sherman is actually released and has been easily available to customers, as most of the newer Begode offerings have been in release limbo for ~4-6 months, and the entire Monster line was in its own kind of limbo with the Monster V3 being discontinued [supposedly not technically discontinued but many vendors have stopped carrying it; this just seems a matter of time] and no Monsters available many places for over 6 months (ewheels sold out of Monsters back in like June/July).

I take no issues with people comparing wheels out of class, I do it myself. Specifically went a ride last week to ride the Monster Pro and Sherman side by side because I wanted to see how they compared; however, I wouldn't use the Veteran as a benchmark for the Monster Pro. The Sherman is not, and cannot be, a standard for wheel that is much larger. I think it would be allowable for the Veteran to be the standard in QC if that were the case. Things that would have universal application to all wheels.

If you haven't had the opportunity to ride both, then I recommend taking the first chance you get. The wheels feel so different. I had never ridden the Sherman prior to stating they wheels weren't in the same class just based on the physics of the wheels, but after riding them side by side I am now utterly convinced they are different enough to where it would be like comparing a Veteran to a King Song 16X (I'm thinking more of how size impacts performance and handling).

Interestingly enough the Sherman is now $3000 at eWheels and the Monster Pro can be purchased for $3400 from FreeMotion, it the gap appears to closing. I'll be curious if the price of the Veteran continues to go up. It's had three price changes since it's come out.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:55 PM, Kekafuch said:

I ended up ordering a Veteran Sherman. It takes forever to get a wheel and I am planning for a decent 2021 Summer here. I just cannoT afford to gamble so much and just made a decision based on what YouTube is telling me.

You won't be disappointed with your choice. I wrote about my experience with the Sherman and found it to be an incredible wheel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EUC Addict said:

it would be like comparing a Veteran to a King Song 16X (I'm thinking more of how size impacts performance and handling).

Yes wheel size matters, the Sherman, while beefy, is a "18x3" and should compare with other of that size. I have ridden the monster V3 beside the Sherman, and its absolutely a different category. Not that one is superior (if anything I like the general purpose "18" size) but they are definitely quite different in feel and handling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickNonsense said:

If there ever a reason why you shouldn't buy a Gotway, its right here in this post! 

Nobody wants or should feel the need to do this to a brand new wheel. It's completely baffles me how the community just accepts this. 

I've often wondered this very point as well. We certainly wouldn't accept such in most everything we buy BNIB, at least not in Canada.

The only rationales I can come up with is

1) lack of competition or at least lack or no competition other than from one particular country of mfgr 

2) lack &or no legal recourse from said country of mfgr or at least no legal recourse from outside country of mfgr

3) a practise of "short term gains" business strategy common to a lot of countries with a lack of consumer laws (or perhaps corruption in enforcement of such laws)

Is there any doubt that a company in the West woulda been sued to the high heavens if they came up with such substandard (for lack of a better word) product/s? I mean would anyone of us accept such defects in our BNIB iPhones, refridgerators, laptops, TVs, Autos, etc etc ...you name it.

To be fair, I'm unsure if this is strictly a GW/BG issue as I find other companies to be just as atrocious (Locksong anybody??). Honestly I'm not even sure its a strictly country of mfgr thingy as Xiaomi & Huawei (& other similar) makes very fine products. Regardless of price categories.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, EUC Addict said:

A quality control checklist for your Monster Pro

You’re anticipating the arrival of your new Monster Pro. However, you’re aware Begode’s quality control is lacking and have heard there were a number of issues with the pre-production/early batch of Monster Pro’s. Will your wheel have these issues and what can you do to improve upon Begode’s quality check? In this article, I tell you about five new updates to the Monster Pro and give you a checklist of things to inspect and do to your wheel when it arrives. (Read more)

Honestly, I think you’re the last person that has any enthusiasm left for this wheel. I have one coming but it may be the first wheel that I’m waiting months for that I wouldn’t be excited to ride when I receive it. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Honestly, I think you’re the last person that has any enthusiasm left for this wheel. I have one coming but it may be the first wheel that I’m waiting months for that I wouldn’t be excited to ride when I receive it. 

I was super into getting a Monster and then Monster Pro. In the end, I cannot afford to gamble so I went Sherman. But I still think Begode will have it tweaked for production ... it is obvious that silent updates happening with all these wheels. The size and power is on a whole other level. I don’t think there’s real info out there on the true nature of the Monster Pro. I think it will end up becoming a great performance wheel. Dennis Hagov is reserving to have it in its own class of super wheels.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, Ben Kim said:

My plan to completely sap you of any enthusiasm so you'll sell it to me for cheap is apparently working.. *evil laugh*

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, Ben Kim said:

I think you’re the last person that has any enthusiasm left for this wheel.

I'm aware of at least 20+ riders on the West Coast that are excited about receiving their Monster Pro. In addition, Marty said he was planning to buy one after riding EUCO's demo Monster Pro. I'm not alone. :)

• Like 3