Advice on Tire Pressure - 16x Noob

longjohnsally

I'm getting my 16x in a few days and can't wait to start practicing.  I'm a total noob although I have a good sense of balance and coordination.  My only experience is coming from a OneWheel.  I've been reading a lot about how much tire pressure matters, but I don't have a clear sense of what is a good starting point (or even a good range for that matter).  I am about 215 lbs geared up and 6'7" (if that matters at all).  Any advice on a good psi to start?  Is it better to start low and then raise it, or start high and then lower it?  Any thoughts on reasonable min/max range?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, longjohnsally said:

I'm getting my 16x in a few days and can't wait to start practicing.  I'm a total noob although I have a good sense of balance and coordination.  My only experience is coming from a OneWheel.  I've been reading a lot about how much tire pressure matters, but I don't have a clear sense of what is a good starting point (or even a good range for that matter).  I am about 215 lbs geared up and 6'7" (if that matters at all).  Any advice on a good psi to start?  Is it better to start low and then raise it, or start high and then lower it?  Any thoughts on reasonable min/max range?

Thanks in advance!

I'm about 200lbs and I ride on 30/32psi I don't like it to hard I get about 45 miles 👍 start at that then up it when you getting comfortable with it if you need to 👍

You weight 38 psi to 40 psi is great ,compromise, range ,confort, rim ,protection 

Everything over 42psi make turn too easy and bouncy on bad road. 

10 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

You weight 38 psi to 40 psi is great ,compromise, range ,confort, rim ,protection

It's his first wheel and just learning so he won't have to worry about them 👍

• Like 1

For anyone trying to figure out tire pressure for themselves, I ended up starting with 35 PSI as a compromise between suggestions on this thread.  It has worked out nicely.  I was able to get up and riding comfortably in a couple hours.  Turning feels reasonably predictable/controllable and riding over speed bumps and cobblestone was good.  Riding on grass feels really spongy and was difficult.  Will have to practice that more.  May try to raise tire pressure next time and see how the wheel responds.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 4:43 PM, stephen said:

I'm about 200lbs and I ride on 30/32psi I don't like it to hard I get about 45 miles 👍 start at that then up it when you getting comfortable with it if you need to 👍

Stephen...I've been playing around with different pressures and still trying to figure out what I like and what's safe.  I've been doing both on-road and off-road.  In your experience is a lower or higher pressure better for off-road?  Is one safer than the other?  35 psi felt pretty nice and cushy for me for both, but a little less responsive.  I've been riding 38 psi the past 4 days which feels really responsive, but also bouncy and more likely to bring on the wobbles.  I planning on trying out lower pressures but I want to be careful about going too low.  Is there a minimum pressure that you wouldn't go below?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

6 hours ago, longjohnsally said:

Stephen...I've been playing around with different pressures and still trying to figure out what I like and what's safe.  I've been doing both on-road and off-road.  In your experience is a lower or higher pressure better for off-road?  Is one safer than the other?  35 psi felt pretty nice and cushy for me for both, but a little less responsive.  I've been riding 38 psi the past 4 days which feels really responsive, but also bouncy and more likely to bring on the wobbles.  I planning on trying out lower pressures but I want to be careful about going too low.  Is there a minimum pressure that you wouldn't go below?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I think over time I've tried every pressure on the CX tyre, like i say I'm 200lbs and i still love 31 psi, it's got a floaty feeling and still hard enough enough to be nimble i wouldn't go below 28psi because traction is different a few psi makes a difference , your slightly heavier so maybe 35psi is your sweet spot for both terrains ,,lower is definitely better for off road but not to low you don't want it pushing into the rim😁 ,  

Too sum up

To high and it becomes bouncy but faster and has more wobbles

To low and you lose a bit of traction/control when turning and could damage your rim of you hit something big

Sweet spot - a great ride for off road and on👍 lovely cushy feeling what will bring a smile to your face on every ride , stable at slow speed and easier for going backwards 😁 1-2 psi makes a difference i think you'll know when you find it 👍👍 

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stephen said:

I think over time I've tried every pressure on the CX tyre, like i say I'm 200lbs and i still love 31 psi, it's got a floaty feeling and still hard enough enough to be nimble i wouldn't go below 28psi because traction is different a few psi makes a difference , your slightly heavier so maybe 35psi is your sweet spot for both terrains ,,lower is definitely better for off road but not to low you don't want it pushing into the rim😁 ,  

Too sum up

To high and it becomes bouncy but faster and has more wobbles

To low and you lose a bit of traction/control when turning and could damage your rim of you hit something big

Sweet spot - a great ride for off road and on👍 lovely cushy feeling what will bring a smile to your face on every ride , stable at slow speed and easier for going backwards 😁 1-2 psi makes a difference i think you'll know when you find it 👍👍 

Thank you!!! That is insanely helpful!!  Exactly what I needed to know :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 2:00 AM, stephen said:

Stephen...one last question (hopefully!).  I dropped back down to 35 psi which was definitely a more comfortable ride than the 38psi.  My tire (CST) lists a range on the side of 35-45psi.  Should I be concerned about experimenting below the manufacturer stated 35psi minimum (assuming I'm not hitting rim of course).  I wasn't thinking of going too far...likely playing around between 32-35 to see how it feels.  I just don't know if I'm risking something by going below the manufacturers listed minimum.  Any thoughts?

Also, you mentioned you use the "CX tyre."   Which one is that?  Is that the Chao Yang?

Thanks again!

The cx tyre is called the dalishen cx-321 it was on the first batch of 16x but alot of people didn't like the gyro effect so they changed it ☹️

The chao yang (cyt) i fitted is a fast nimble tyre, but i liked the over all feel of the CX and managed to swap it for a CX tyre from a youtube subscriber👍😊 (I'll post pics/video at bottom)

The CST tyre which you have, I've been told it's somewhere inbetween the CX and the CYT with a small amount of gyro, I've ordered one but it's not arrived yet☹️ just to see what it's like 👍

I'm riding at 30psi (90+kg ish)ATM and find it to be my best pressure for comfyness and traction and still remains somewhat nimble, by all means try lower  at the risk of hitting rim over big bumps at high speed and snakebite on the innertube (that's when they tyre and tube compress against the tyre or  rim or just or obstacle and nips the tube) it's never happens to me the 3inch tyre has some height so you can go low so don't worry👍

If you've found that it's a better ride at 35 rather than 38 I'm sure your going to find your sweet spot around 32-35 (at them pressures 1 psi drop makes a difference) and take my pressures at rough guidance and yours as some pumps show different pressures but I've just bought a guage so mine probably is 30psi👍

CYT tyre

CX tyre

CX tyre

IMG-20200613-WA0030.jpg

Hope it helps somewhat 😊😊👍👍 feel free to ask👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stephen said:

The CST tyre which you have, I've been told it's somewhere inbetween the CX and the CYT with a small amount of gyro, I've ordered one but it's not arrived yet☹️ just to see what it's like 👍

Hope it helps somewhat 😊😊👍👍 feel free to ask👍

You are a fountain of helpful information!  Thank you!  I'd love to hear what your impressions are of the CST once you get it.  I keep hearing people talk about the "gyro" effect on the 16x.  What are they referring to??

1 hour ago, longjohnsally said:

I keep hearing people talk about the "gyro" effect on the 16x.  What are they referring to??

If you've ever ridden or read about a z10 its like that, if not the gyro affect is where the wheel wants to stay upright when turning so you have to lean into the corner and pull the wheel over with your weight 👍 plus slow speed is more stable , it's a very comfy ride👍

2 hours ago, longjohnsally said:

I'd love to hear what your impressions are of the CST once you get it

I've had to put a PayPal dispute in because it's been 2 weeks so far and was only supposed to be 3 days☹️

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, stephen said:

keep hearing people talk about the "gyro" effect on the 16x.  What are they referring to??

this is the angular monentum of the wheel resisting change of direction ( turns ). This effect appears to be amplified at higher psi because of less tire surface area in contact with the roadway. This gyro effect applies to all euc ( or any spinning disc) but i imagine will vary due to speed, psi, wheel size, and tire width...

some peculiar/interesting demonstrations of how angular momentum produces surprising effects can be seen here:

scroll frwd to arnd 14min to get to the good stuff.

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, amelanso said:

this is the angular monentum of the wheel resisting change of direction ( turns ). This effect appears to be amplified at higher psi because of less tire surface area in contact with the roadway. This gyro effect applies to all euc ( or any spinning disc) but i imagine will vary due to speed, psi, wheel size, and tire width...

some peculiar/interesting demonstrations of how angular momentum produces surprising effects can be seen here:

scroll frwd to arnd 14min to get to the good stuff.

Thanks for the link!  That's great.  I think I might need to watch that 3 more times to get it all!