Wheelemetrics U.S.

So a while back I downloaded @esaj's source code for his Wheelemetrics (Android) app and made sure I could get it to compile.  But I didn't have much need for it since it wasn't compatible with my EU.  But that changed.  So I started modifying it.  I am not an Android programmer.  I never really learned Java.  In my past I programmed in C, Assembler and Basic.  So most of my changes to @esaj's app are minor.  Here's a list of changes.

- U.S. (a.k.a. Imperial) units of measure.  mph, miles, Fahrenheit 
- Rearranged the readouts on the screen (I had reasons)
- Added Time on the screen
- Added Battery % on the screen (I know, I still need to average it so it isn't bouncing all over the place and I might need to 'calibrate' it)
- Changed default log extension to .csv so it's ready to open in Spreadsheet programs
- Changed default location of log file (because on my phone it put them in /storage/emulated/0/storage/emulated/0/documents
- Added Date & Time to the CSV log (so there's a human readable time)
- Made the Record button change to Red when recording
- Changed the layout of the text on the buttons
- Changed it so the buttons don't move when the Graph is turned off (at least for my phones)
- Made the smaller text readouts get larger with the Graph is turned off (to make it easier for my old eyes to see, but I haven't tested in running yet)
- The Speed Alarm spinners automatically worked in MPH but I capped the top alarm at 28MPH.

I think that's about it.  I still have some other changes in mind.  Don't worry, the Red, White & Blue goes away when you connect.

(Later I am going to install a Bike computer on my EU and then I will make sure that the App speed is accurate.)

Also, I've only tried this on one EU but I don't think I broke anything that would prevent it from connecting to the same EU's as the original.

I want to thank @esaj for doing all the hard work on this App.

Wheelemetrics-US.apk

5 hours ago, SlowMo said:

This version replaces @esaj's original app. Maybe you can make this app separate and not as an upgrade to his work. 

So, yeah, this was basically a version of EsaJ's app with U.S. units of measure.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  So... Why?  Why make a separate app?

I asked his permission before posting it.

3 hours ago, SirGeraint said:

So, yeah, this was basically a version of EsaJ's app with U.S. units of measure.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  So... Why?  Why make a separate app?

I asked his permission before posting it.

Some people would like to have both apps in place. It will not happen since your app will overwrite @esaj's work.

12 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Some people would like to have both apps in place. It will not happen since your app will overwrite @esaj's work.

Ok, gotcha. You want me to rename it. Ok, I'll do that. I left it the same so it didn't look like I was trying to rip-off EsaJ's app as if it was my own.

How about "US-Wheelemetrics"?  Since on my phone it gets truncated to "Wheelemetr...".

It should work with all Gotways (except maybe MCM4?) and older King Songs (I think they changed the BT-chip around late August or September maybe?). The newer ones might not work, depends if they changed the communication to work over Bluetooth LE or not. If the old Gotway-app worked with your wheel, this should also.

10 hours ago, h00ktern said:

Would add, but I get the following -

2015-11-25_17-53-15.png

If you have my original version installed, this one will overwrite it (it's probably under same package name). 

9 hours ago, esaj said:

It should work with all Gotways (except maybe MCM4?) and older King Songs (I think they changed the BT-chip around late August or September maybe?). The newer ones might not work, depends if they changed the communication to work over Bluetooth LE or not. If the old Gotway-app worked with your wheel, this should also.

If you have my original version installed, this one will overwrite it (it's probably under same package name). 

I just tried with MCM4. It is not compatible with it.

1 minute ago, sbouju said:

Hi,

Just tested Wheelmetrics this afternoon (a previous version)...

Are all the minus signs normal?

2015-11-26 14.55.11.jpg

The mainboard thinks you're riding in "reverse" here. If you run the motor in the other direction, you will see positive numbers (the original Gotway-app just throws away the negative signs)

8 minutes ago, esaj said:

The mainboard thinks you're riding in "reverse" here. If you run the motor in the other direction, you will see positive numbers (the original Gotway-app just throws away the negative signs)

My older Gotway app also shows the reverse sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thank you, even if I had already founded it by myself and re-installed it in place of WM-US :)

In fact, I had not realized there was two versions, and I "failed" directly on the topic WM-US when I was looking for an eventual new version through a "find" on "wheelemetrics" in the whole forum...

May be a change in the name of the original version topic (with "wheelemetrics" in its name) would be fine?

1 hour ago, sbouju said:

Yes thank you, even if I had already founded it by myself and re-installed it in place of WM-US :)

In fact, I had not realized there was two versions, and I "failed" directly on the topic WM-US when I was looking for an eventual new version through a "find" on "wheelemetrics" in the whole forum...

May be a change in the name of the original version topic (with "wheelemetrics" in its name) would be fine?

Good point if people actually use that name to look for it... it was a "project name" I came up just quickly earlier, when we were discussing building a logging app for hobby16's telemetry-hardware. Don't know what happened to that, hobby16 went underground soon after and I haven't heard from him since :P  So I ended up reverse-engineering the Gotway / older King Song -protocol and building an app on top of that.

Archived