V11 vs S18 (need help)

I am about to pre order one of the electric unicycles this week but I don’t know which one to get! I’ve seen the specs and videos and I like the look of the S18 better, $100 cheaper, better suspension plus everything but the wheel moves with the suspension 🤯 Also, since it’s more open but still sealed will it make it easy to work on and actually make it harder for things to get caught in it like water and dirt since it’s open vs semi open? Or will more things break since it’s open? I also saw a lot of movement in the suspension in the videos for the S18 going up stairs. 😬  On the other hand the V11 has more range, way better lighting by the looks of it, a kick stand, a handle for carrying and since it looks more enclosed, is it less likely stuff will break? Also Is the suspension really much worse and is it a big deal that only the pedals move?Really struggling on what to do, please help!!

• Like 3

You seem to have a good grasp on pros and cons. I dont think you could go wrong wither way, but we really don't know yet. If you can't decide when you make a list of pros and cons of each, maybe flip a coin? Both have handles for carry, tho one is a little heavier. I suspect that NEITHER will be fun to carry as they are both so tall. Noone knows which one will break easier yet, thats the fun of being a first batch buyer. Same with working on them, who knows? I prefer the look of open suspension and since I'm focusing on suspension mostly, the performance of THAT alone, holds a lot of weight in my preferences. I'd imagine an open design would both get dirty easier and be easier to clean. The v11 reports an ip rating, so if you are REALLY concerned about that, perhaps its the better for you? Range... do you think range is an issue? Specs on range can be figured out, and if the s18 isnt enough range, NONE of the other specs will matter... My oversimplified take is this...  v11= street cruiser/commuter. s18=1 wheeled dirtbike.

• Like 3

I suspect the suspension is not "much worse." Both will be a big improvement over non-suspended wheels. I think good questions to ask are about what is really important to you. Top speed and range are usually strong considerations in selecting which wheel is suitable. The V11 will probably be the more water resistant of the two. I don't think we have enough data to say a lot about the durability of either wheels. The lights might be really important for some. The height of both will probably make them not the most fun to carry, although the S18 is ~10lbs/4.5kg lighter. I have to carry my EUC up/down the stairs at my apartment everyday, so I know I'd appreciate the lower weight. 😅 The S18 does have a carry/trolley handle too, for those that were unaware.
I agree with @ShanesPlanet's simplified take, I kinda see the V11 as a nice cruising wheel, and the S18 as a sporty adventure wheel.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

I have been in close contact with IM the past few months. The way they listen to feedback and the amount I have been feeding this will properly show at final stages. 

I think it all comes down to what you want to do on the wheel. And what you are used to. 

As I mainly use my wheel as a commuter and daily shopping  and pleasure riding for longer tours (30-40km range] compared to my commutes I could have chosen either one. But KS said they didn't improve water resistance at all and since my KS16X already had water damage after 1 ride in rain they did list high on my candidate list. The headlight and kickstand pulled towards V11. I expect the V11 to be a better construction overall. Might not be the best of suspension between the two but all other aspects are better to how I used an EUC. So I ordered the V11. The range and new info on throttle point should be better on V11.

I didn't have a hard time to make my pick. KS made this VERY easy for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

But KS said they didn't improve water resistance at all and since my KS16X already had water damage after 1 ride in rain.

Thanks for everyone’s help! I am leaning towards V11 after reading and this part about the S18 especially scares me!

Im betting its going to be more like me 18L than an 18XL. The s18 has a bigger motor and similar battery to the 2kw 18L i have. 30 miles at near 30mph is about ALL I can get out of her. Im only around 130lbs. It seems like MAYBE I can get 2 hours of mountain play, but it really depends on terrain. I think the v11 is obviously longer range. Even so, an hour of full TILT stupidity is probably enough to satisfy my urge. In the end, it all boils down to WHICH specs you find more important than others. I'd have to ride them both to know the REAL winner. Specs aside, I ride these for pure fun. 100 miles of boredom vs 30 miles of adrenaline... no contest. Maybe a poor analogy for comparing wheels, but its the ride and feeling it gives me that matters most for my next wheel. It surely won't be the last wheel I buy, and I'll fill the range issue with one that has SERIOUS range, in the future (cmon battery tech!) My desires are too great to assume theyll ever make 'one wheel to rule them all'.

• Like 2

both are slow wheels in my book, the Kingsong looks much more robust at a cost of 400wh less battery with adjustable suspension firmness and an arguably badass design.  If you’re not a long range rider, I’d go S18. 

8 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

both are slow wheels in my book, the Kingsong looks much more robust at a cost of 400wh less battery with adjustable suspension firmness and an arguably badass design.  If you’re not a long range rider, I’d go S18. 

34mph is slow? And inmotion can be adjusted as well. INMOTION has historically always been more robust than a kingsong wheel. Basically you’d buy it off of looks I see.  

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

34mph is slow? And inmotion can be adjusted as well. INMOTION has historically always been more robust than a kingsong wheel. Basically you’d buy it off of looks I see.  

I didn't realize these wheels are 34 MPH top speed (they aren't).  Real world top speed of the Kingsong will be 10-15% below 31 MPH because they have a long history of overinflating reported speed, and Inmotion has a history of aggressively throttling unreasonably early in the battery cycle.  I would love to be proven wrong in that regard.

Did I miss something regarding the two wheels?  The Kingsong has a user adjustable air shock (and can be completely disabled for a more conventional ride) whereas the Inmotion V11 has a simpler adjustable Pedal arm suspension which doesn't have the range of motion that the S18 offers. 

I also stated if "you're not a long range rider" I'd go S18, and looks aside (yes it does look better) I can't see any reason to go with the V11 aside from the extra ~400Wh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Yes, 34mph is slow. 27mph is even slower. Which speed is 'fast vs slow' is opinion and relative. No need for the offhanded attack on @Ben Kim, as we ALL rely on visual interpretations to make buying decisions. Inno being more robust is also just an opinion, but you are entitled to it, I wont deny that. My choice has been made on purely speculation, specs and looks. Until I get to ride any of them, that is ALL the information I have to use. Sadly it seems that euc manufacturers are clouding specs now, with their own fancy new methods of measurement, so the consumer really is left in the dark. If this keeps up, it may just be a better idea to ignore the inflated and misleading specs and flip a damn coin. At least MAYBE the pictures are real, who knows, as photoshop can make anything look younger and better. Yeah @Rehab1 I've got you in mind on that one. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

29 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

I didn't realize these wheels are 34 MPH top speed (they aren't).  Real world top speed of the Kingsong will be 10-15% below 31 MPH because they have a long history of overinflating reported speed, and Inmotion has a history of aggressively throttling unreasonably early in the battery cycle.  I would love to be proven wrong in that regard.

Did I miss something regarding the two wheels?  The Kingsong has a user adjustable air shock (and can be completely disabled for a more conventional ride) whereas the Inmotion V11 has a simpler adjustable Pedal arm suspension which doesn't have the range of motion that the S18 offers. 

I also stated if "you're not a long range rider" I'd go S18, and looks aside (yes it does look better) I can't see any reason to go with the V11 aside from the extra ~400Wh.

From the official announcement from Liam, the V11, when above 30% battery, is capped at 50km/h, and with a special firmware they will be providing on this forum, when above 80% it will be capped at 55km/h.

You are right about the suspension. Also, the S18 has a dual chamber air shock, which lets you adjust the sag and sensitivity more independently, which is nice, compared to the single chamber shocks in the V11, where adjusting the sensitivity also changes the sag/pedal height. That should theoretically mean you can still have good sensitivity to small bumps at higher pressures (to resist bottoming out), while the single chamber would keep you topped out more.

Other reasons to go for the V11 I imagine are its superior lighting for road safety (of course you can augment with extra lights, but built-in is nice), and potentially better water resistance (tho this remains to be actually proven).

Edited by redfoxdude
Formatting
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

From the official announcement from Liam, the V11, when above 30% battery, is capped at 50km/h, and with a special firmware they will be providing on this forum, when above 80% it will be capped at 55km/h.

You are right about the suspension. Also, the S18 has a dual chamber air shock, which lets you adjust the sag and sensitivity more independently, which is nice, compared to the single chamber shocks in the V11, where adjusting the sensitivity also changes the sag/pedal height.

Other reasons to go for the V11 I imagine are its superior lighting for road safety (of course you can augment with extra lights, but built-in is nice), and potentially better water resistance (tho this remains to be actually proven).

ha, so it'll have 34 mph for about 4 hard miles before it throttles down.  I'll stick to my 100V wheels personally, but good to know.  

• Like 1

Just to play devil's advocate. Noone has mentioned that the overall volume of the internal chambers, MAY be more in the v11 vs the s18. I don't know how that can be interpreted, but having larger internal chambers MAY prove a benefit? Then there's the need to try and get BOTH shocks of the v11 at the same exact pressures and keep them both in the same exact condition for optimal use. There's also points of friction to consider. The long slides on the v11 seems a point of interest, just as the teflon bushings and setup of the sks18 setup do. Dust and dirt will mitigate performance, but we have NO IDEA the reality of how so and if its even a concern.  Both wheels have benefits and drawbacks. It would be a folley to blatantly state that one is better than the other. Aside from the obvious specs, I'd imagine these wheels will suit people better for different reasons. I'd like to think we can hope they are BOTH badass and fill a niche that once was void of ANY choices... Still, black is and has always been the faster color, so sayeth the cbr1100 fans!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 9:42 PM, Studley21ep said:

I am about to pre order one of the electric unicycles this week but I don’t know which one to get! I’ve seen the specs and videos and I like the look of the S18 better, $100 cheaper, better suspension plus everything but the wheel moves with the suspension 🤯 Also, since it’s more open but still sealed will it make it easy to work on and actually make it harder for things to get caught in it like water and dirt since it’s open vs semi open? Or will more things break since it’s open? I also saw a lot of movement in the suspension in the videos for the S18 going up stairs. 😬  On the other hand the V11 has more range, way better lighting by the looks of it, a kick stand, a handle for carrying and since it looks more enclosed, is it less likely stuff will break? Also Is the suspension really much worse and is it a big deal that only the pedals move?Really struggling on what to do, please help!!

Buy Ks16X problem solved ,but carefuly water is ks16x cryptonite. 💦

V11 vs V18 simplified: 💞

If you need weatherproof take V11 if you dont care range or you are lightweight take V18.:popcorn:

3 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

ha, so it'll have 34 mph for about 4 hard miles before it throttles down.  I'll stick to my 100V wheels personally, but good to know.  

Just a curiosity, but why do you NY guys need speed so much btw? All the videos I’ve seen the cars are going super slow, with speed limits of 25mph that they can’t even achieve because of traffic. A suspension wheel could fill the void for a daily commuter wheel in the city quite fine with only 31mph top speeds. That’s why people have multiple wheel options. Take the suspension in the pothole ridden cities and save the 100v speed for the group rides and everywhere else right?

• Like 1

i wonder if it's because somebody started the trend and then when others followed espicially with group rides, it became the norm and they became used to it. once ur used to something to downgrade is a tough option.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Just a curiosity, but why do you NY guys need speed so much btw? All the videos I’ve seen the cars are going super slow, with speed limits of 25mph that they can’t even achieve because of traffic. A suspension wheel could fill the void for a daily commuter wheel in the city quite fine with only 31mph top speeds. That’s why people have multiple wheel options. Take the suspension in the pothole ridden cities and save the 100v speed for the group rides and everywhere else right?

Just tossing MY guess... It seems lane splitting and  ignoring traffic law is common in overly congested cities. I see the euc's filtering to the front of traffic at lights. I'd imagine a higher 'safe' top speed, enables them to take off first and not have traffic catch up. Also, it sucks to be slower than someone else on a group ride, same with smaller battery. I only bothered to do 2 group rides on motorcycles (in 25+yr), and the slowest rider prolly felt like an ass, as we all had to stop and wait quite frequently. Then of course theres the fact that going faster is REALLY fun. I'd imagine some cities have paths for bikes and I can only guess how quickly one could get around at 45mph on an euc. Just as you want a car that can go faster than you intend (for passing and emergency), an euc that tops out at 30mph when you like to maintain 28mph, isnt much headroom for accelerating to avoid a catastrophic situation. At a mere 30mph, I was in danger of being flattened on a simple town road that has speed limits set at 35mph(35mph=45mph, nowadays it seems).

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I guess that kind of behaviour of highspeed aggressive riding is just accepted as it is "fun". 

Until it gets the community banned and law enforcement cranking down on it. 

But hey it was fun and nearly nobody got hurt in the process.

In case someone should have missed the sarcasm, I really don't think EUC are yet accepted enough to not hurting the community. If a mc ride goes too fast it he or she that get punished. 

If an EUC rider does something bad or stupid then it isn't the offender only that get punished. So much for personal fun and yet it seems community and riders think this is okey and even ask for more speed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I guess that kind of behaviour of highspeed aggressive riding is just accepted as it is "fun". 

Until it gets the community banned and law enforcement cranking down on it. 

But hey it was fun and nearly nobody got hurt in the process.

In case someone should have missed the sarcasm, I really don't think EUC are yet accepted enough to not hurting the community. If a mc ride goes too fast it he or she that get punished. 

If an EUC rider does something bad or stupid then it isn't the offender only that get punished. So much for personal fun and yet it seems community and riders think this is okey and even ask for more speed.

Going 'fast' and being a 'danger' are not exactly relative to each other.  I do agree with you somewhat, you make a valid point. I ask for more speed as well, but I don't feel I fall into the blanket category of fast=danger=irresponsible to the public. Keeping up with basic traffic speed in a town, REQUIRES 30mph minimum. Asking to go faster doesnt equate to a person being reckless, quite the opposite. I don't know about NYC traffic, it may very well be a place where NOONE goes 45mph on the street, not even cars.  Until law start to oppress us even more in the USA (yes, we think differently than those across the pond), we will be left to monitor ourselves. It only takes a few incidents to sour the bunch, and that is inevitable.  I treat my euc as I would a bicycle. I can comfortably ride a bicycle at traffic speeds in town and use the roads in a safe manner along with cars. Anything slower would be more like a skateboard and I would be in danger on those streets and would instead begin to endanger pedestrians. Catch 22 no matter what. Luckily Im rural, so I only focus on maintaining a fast speed as safety allows. Total thread derail, I think we've begun down a rabbit hole that is already in a thread somewhere.